Sydney Sports Ground
The Sydney Sports Ground was an outdoor oval venue located next to the Sydney Football Stadium which opened in 1911 and was demolished in 1987. The No. 1 ground featured two main grandstands and a large hill, a capacity of around 33,000 and lights suitable for night games. The former ground hosted many sports including rugby league, union, soccer and Australian football. It was also a Speedway venue in its early years, hosting motorsport from 1917. The concrete track was removed in the 1920's and replaced by a dirt track. The track was last used in 1955 and removed soon after. The Eastern Suburbs Rugby League Club played their home games at the Sydney Sports Ground up until 1987 and the South Sydney Rabbitohs also called it home at various stages, while it also held the World Youth Soccer Championships in 1981. The No. 2 ground was situated between the main ground and the Sydney Cricket Ground and featured a main grandstand and primarily hosted state cricket fixtures.
Both the Sydney Sports Ground No. 1 and No. 2 were demolished in 1986/87 to allow for the construction of the Sydney Football Stadium which opened in 1988 adjacent to the former venue. A car park for the new stadium was constructed on the site of the No. 1 ground.
Sydney Sports Ground Details
South Sydney Rabbitohs RLC