Located right in the heart of Hawthorn, Glenferrie Oval was the home ground of the Hawthorn Football Club until 1973. It remained as the training and administration base for the Hawks until early 2006 when the club moved to the redeveloped Waverley Park.
Hawthorn started playing at Glenferrie Oval in 1906, before the club was admitted to the VFA in 1914 and then the Victorian Football League in 1925 in which the club played 584 matches at the venue. Glenferrie Oval's narrow wings and the fact that it was surrounded by a road and a railway line meant that redevelopment was impossible and the club eventually outgrew the ground and moved its home games to Princes Park in 1974.
In 1965, 36,786 spectators crammed into the ground to watch Hawthorn play Carlton - the highest crowd recorded. The small size of Glenferrie Oval meant it was often referred to as the Sardine tin. These days, capacity is around the 10,000 mark.
The major grandstand was built in 1938 and is now called the Michael Tuck Stand. The heritage-listed grandstand is one of the nicer stands featured at a Victorian suburban football ground with its art deco design. The other main stand, the Ferguson Stand, was built in the mid 1960s. The Social Club, situated on the other side of Linda Crescent, opened in 1963 and has since been demolished.