Positioned overlooking the Pacific Ocean, WIN Stadium is situated at the lower end of the Wollongong Central Business District. WIN Stadium is designed as a multi purpose facility with the ability to host a variety of sporting or special events. With the addition of the new Western Grandstand, the venue now has a total capacity of around 23,000. The Stadium started life as the Wollongong Showground agricultural shows and a greyhound track. Rugby League was played in the middle, which was referred to as the 'village green', from 1911. The Illawarra Steelers entered the First Grade competition in 1982 and called the showground their home. In 1988, the Steelers and the Showground Trust converted the ground into a rectangle and in 1992 built the Southern grandstand. The ground has had ongoing renovations since then. WIN TV was given naming rights to the ground in 1997 in a five-year agreement.
WIN Stadium has three main grandstands which are at the Western, Southern and Northern sides. Opposite the Western stand on the other wing of the ground is a grass hill. The Northern Grandstand, which was built from materials from the Sydney Olympic Park Aquatic Centre, was opened in 2002 while the new Western Grandstand opened in 2012. Rugby League has regularly been played at the stadium for a long time. Soccer has been held at the stadium in several times in the past, and in 2000, the Wollongong Wolves Soccer Club moved to the venue from Brandon Park. WIN Stadium is home of the St.George Illawarra Rugby League Club who also play half their home games at Jubilee Oval.