East Melbourne Cricket Ground
The East Melbourne Cricket Ground was an oval sports ground previously located at the corner of Wellington Parade and Jolimont Parade, adjacent to the MCG. Opened in 1860, the ground hosted many sporting events during Melbourne's early existence, through to when it closed in 1921 - it was demolished the following year. After the 1921 football season, the ground was closed and then demolished to make way for an extension of the Jolimont Yard railway sidings. Housing is now located on the site of the former ground.
The ground was home to various VFL and VFA clubs, including Essendon FC (1882-1921), University FC (1908-10), East Melbourne FC (1878-82), Melbourne City FC (1912-13), North Melbourne FC (1897), West Melbourne FC (1907), while the East Melbourne Cricket Club played at the ground until its closure. It hosted 30 VFA finals, a VFL final in 1897 and the VFL Grand Final in 1900.
It had three main grandstands during its existence, terraced seating, and while it had a larger capacity in its early years, it was around the 20,000 as new grandstands replaced standing room. The record football crowd at the venue was 36,185 for a VFA match between Essendon and South Melbourne in 1891, the record attendance for a match at that time. The VFL record was 20,181 for the 1900 Grand Final, with the record for a VFL home and away match being 18,000, set twice in 1921.
East Melbourne Cricket Ground Details