It was another strong year for the Austadiums website, and we look back at the year that was in 2019 to see the most viewed content, trends, and most attended stadiums and sporting events.
TOP FIVE VIEWED STADIUMS
5. Netstrata Jubilee Stadium
4. Melbourne Cricket Ground
3. Marvel Stadium
2. Bankwest Stadium
1. Optus Stadium
Perth’s Optus Stadium was again the most viewed stadium by some distance on Austadiums in 2019, with almost twice as many views as Australia’s newest venue, Bankwest Stadium in Sydney, in second place. Netstrata Jubilee Stadium was the big mover, with its event schedule beefed up. We also have the top five search terms on the site, being: MCG, Bankwest, Optus Stadium, Adelaide Oval, Suncorp.
TOP FIVE NEWS ARTICLES
5. New 80,000-seat Brisbane stadium central to 2032 Olympics bid
4. Optus Stadium turns red for Manchester United
3. MCG Southern Stand set for redevelopment within next decade
2. Western United unveils unique stadium renders
1. New MCC seating policy to avoid empty seats
A good mix of articles in the top five throughout 2019, with the Melbourne Cricket Club’s controversial seat policy the most read article on the site.
During 2019, Austadiums listed a total of 1,345 sports events. Attendance figures were posted for 1,095 of these – totalling 18,683,771 fans. That’s an average of 17,062 per event where an attendance figure was listed.
TOP FIVE ATTENDANCES
5. Australian Open (d6) – 93,178 (Melbourne Park)
4. AFL Finals: Geelong Cats v Collingwood – 93,436 (MCG)
3. AFL Finals: Richmond v Geelong Cats – 94,423 (MCG)
2. AFL Grand Final: Richmond v GWS Giants – 100,014 (MCG)
1. 2019 F1 Australian Grand Prix (d4) – 102,000 (Albert Park GP Circuit)
Similar to 2018, the top 10 attended events were all in Melbourne, with the NRL Grand Final coming in at number 11 at Sydney’s ANZ Stadium. This year, the final day of the Australian F1 Grand Prix trumped the AFL Grand Final in top spot, with 102,000 at Albert Park.
TOP FIVE ATTENDED STADIUMS
5. Sydney Cricket Ground – 910,124
4. Adelaide Oval – 1,305,757
3. Optus Stadium – 1,712,030
2. Marvel Stadium – 1,829,111
1. Melbourne Cricket Ground – 3,255,918
No surprise the MCG had the highest overall attendance, with over three million fans passing through the turnstiles for sporting events – one of four stadiums to surpass one million attendees throughout 2019. To find out more about what sports attendances we cover on Austadiums, visit our crowds page and stay tuned for more attendance analysis.
If you want to see how the above rankings compared to the previous year, you can view the 2018 'year that was' article here.
2019 was another big year for the Austadiums website with continued growth in traffic. The site was visited almost 8% more than the previous year, while the number of pages viewed increased by more than 16%.
There were 20 venues added to the Austadiums stadium database in 2019, with 490 now listed on the site, while an 18 had detailed listings added to them – up to 340 now. There were also a large number of venue updates, including information, stats and photos.
The year ended with the second-ever Stadium Awards, and the winners are due to be announced in the coming days.
We thank our fans for their continued support of the Austadiums website and look forward to a big 2020 which will see some great new features and content added to the site. If you’re yet to sign-up to our newsletter, please do so here, to ensure you receive the latest news and updates direct to your inbox. And don't forget to follow us on social media @austadiums, including Instagram for the latest stadium photos.
Happy New Year!