Whitten Oval, Windy Hill

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

Whitten Oval, Windy Hill

Post by Cheesie-the-Pirate »

I couldn't find a particularly relevant old thread to bump for this, so here's a new one. A dull day and getting acquainted with a new camera makes for some rather unattractive photography, but here are some pictures from my stadium visit for the weekend.

E. J. Whitten Stand, with the corporate box stand (name?) in the foreground. Taken from Cross Street.

Earthworks continue on a gloomy Saturday. Taken from Cross Street.

A rather muddy Northern/Eastern outer. Taken from underneath the Geelong Road overpass (I think).

The corporate box stand thingy (technical term). Taken from Gordon Street.

Whitten Stand rises above a good ol' pile of dirt. Taken from Gordon Street.

Southern/Eastern outer. Taken from Gordon Street.

Pigeon pair. Cute. Taken from Gordon Street using the classic poke-the-lens-through-the-wire-mesh photography technique.

Rear of the Whitten Stand. Taken from West Footscray railway station.
Last edited by Cheesie-the-Pirate on Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

Great pics. What a sad looking site. I only went past it on Thursday night but as it was dark I couldn't see jack.

The name of the structure is the John Gent Stand.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Glad I went in December before to much of the terracing was destroyed. I really liked Whitten Oval and the entire area around it.

sandyhill
Gold
Location: Just across the road from Australia's largest stadium

Post by sandyhill »

Well done Cheesie, despite the not ideal conditions
Egan wrote:Glad I went in December before to much of the terracing was destroyed. I really liked Whitten Oval and the entire area around it.
Yes, Cheesie should've come 4 weeks earlier! Most of the terracing was only just ripped up over the last month. May's weather was also mostly nice and sunny, June was cold and gloomy all month.

Here's some threads showing what Whitten Oval once was, including now departed features such as the terracing, the Doug Hawkins wing, the old coaches box and the scoreboard, demolished last year. These links now have historical interest thus! -

The first 2 pages of this thread have various Whitten Oval pics e.g. you can see what the Gordon St side used to looked like prior to being reduced to dirt and rubble -
viewtopic.php?t=1164

And SK's pics of several VFL stadiums, including Whitten Oval and also Arden St prior to the removal of its last surviving grandstand -
viewtopic.php?p=13720#13720

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Cheesie The Pirate wrote:Image
Awww, it hasn't changed a bit.
Last edited by Jeffles on Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the guy
Silver

Post by the guy »

Egan wrote:Glad I went in December before to much of the terracing was destroyed. I really liked Whitten Oval and the entire area around it.
Now that must have been said with tongue in cheek.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

the guy wrote:
Now that must have been said with tongue in cheek.
Not at all, my love of Footscray is as well known as my love of Wellington on this forum.

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

The main centre of Footscray has it's ethnic charm, but the area around the Oval is just industrial wasteland......you sure you've even been there Egan? :wink:

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Rob wrote:The main centre of Footscray has it's ethnic charm, but the area around the Oval is just industrial wasteland......you sure you've even been there Egan? :wink:
Hey West Footscray adds to the charm of central footscray 8)

Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

Windy Hill time. I must admit I really enjoyed this one. A true community facility. The croquet lawn just sealed the deal.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Very good pics. The view from the street is noteworthy and the ground is in very good condition. A supportive council, a club that has a lot of cash or both

Where's the pic of the croquet lawn?

Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

I only had one crappy photo so I left it out. But by popular request, here it is:

This lawn was located more-or-less immediately behind where the last photo in my previous post was taken.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Maybe Cam should start a stadium page for the Essendon Croquet Lawn. :D

the guy
Silver

Post by the guy »

Cheesie-the-Pirate wrote:Windy Hill time. I must admit I really enjoyed this one. A true community facility. The croquet lawn just sealed the deal.
B.E.A.Utiful

reminds me of nights as a young tacker watching Essendon training. good times.
thanks cheese

sandyhill
Gold
Location: Just across the road from Australia's largest stadium

Post by sandyhill »

Very nice - The Alan Hird Stand is my Windy Hill favourite. Soon they'll have to find something impressive to name after his grandson.

Along with the pavement shot, The Croquet Lawn was a good 'get'. I should've alerted Cheesie to the Trugo Lawn close to Whitten Oval! I suppose I could always cover it myself.
Jeffles wrote:Very good pics. The view from the street is noteworthy and the ground is in very good condition. A supportive council, a club that has a lot of cash or both ...
The latter is a given, the former also most probable. Its just far enough out from the CBD to not have one of those inner city councils that cause problems.