The Age Landmarks: Coach's Box, Whitten Oval

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
stadiumking
Gold

The Age Landmarks: Coach's Box, Whitten Oval

Post by stadiumking »

WHERE
The Doug Hawkins wing.

DIMENSIONS
The box is about six metres wide and two metres deep. Its point of interest is its elevation; it sits on four steel pylons about eight metres above the oval. The base of the box butts onto the roof of the E.J. Smith Stand.

THE RISE
Coaches would leave the oval and pass through a tiny gate before hopping over the wooden bench that runs along the fence. They would then enter a chute, which is a path defined by two steel rails about an arm's length apart. After walking up seven steps, the coaches would enter a small wire enclosure and begin their climb. The ladder has 19 rungs and a cage that prevented anyone toppling back into the crowd. At the top of the ladder is a small landing, about a metre wide, which leads into the box.

ORIGINS
In 1976, his first season as Footscray coach, Billy Goggin became frustrated by the coach's box at the back of the John Gent Stand and asked if there was any chance of a box on the outer wing. He imagined something that was just high enough to give a view over the play. "I thought it was going to be fairly unobtrusive," Goggin said this week. Almost overnight, the local council built the box on stilts. Goggin burst into laughter when recalling his reaction. "I had no input," he said.

CRYSTAL CLEAR
Most fans came to link the box with Mick Malthouse, who tomorrow will lead Collingwood in his 500th league game as a coach. Malthouse's coaching career began with Footscray in 1984. Former Bulldogs champion Doug Hawkins said Malthouse had no trouble being heard from the elevated box. "I could hear him crystal clear," Hawkins said. In round 14, 1984, against Fitzroy, a blustery wind kept blowing the ball across to the outer wing during the opening quarter, enabling Hawkins to pick up a swag of possessions. At the end of the quarter, Malthouse told Hawkins to stay on the outer wing. Before the third and fourth quarters, and several seasons thereafter, he repeated the instruction. The wing was eventually named after Hawkins.

WHEELS OFF
In the aftermath of the aborted merger with Fitzroy in 1989, Terry Wheeler thought it would be prudent to begin his Bulldogs coaching career from the hub of the club, the John Gent Stand, instead of the elevated box. "It was a conscious decision to be back with our own," said Wheeler, who admitted relief at avoiding the elevated box's problem of facing into the sun. Of the opposition coaches who were then forced into the box, Robert Walls reportedly became agitated by home supporters, while Kevin Sheedy leapt up the ladder four rungs at a time. Allan Jeans was more proppy.

HIGH TIMES
Outer fans got up close and personal with coaches at the Whitten (then Western) Oval.
In 1994, Scharlaine Cairns and a dozen fellow supporters surprised Footscray general manager Dennis Galimberti when they took him up on his joking suggestion that the elevated box should be hired out. Cairns organised for the dozen to chip in $25 each a game while Peter Smith, a Maribyrnong electrician, got a rope and hauled a bar fridge into the smallest of the box's three rooms, which became the designated kitchen. Smith, Cairns and Cairns' mother Olive, who was then in her early 60s, would sit in the front row of the middle room. Most others stood behind them, although one supporter, Brian Beet, compiled match statistics from his position at the window of the kitchen.

Another Footscray supporter, a graphic artist, organised banners such as "Libba the human clamp" and "Jose is hot Chile", which were hung from the box before every game. During the supporters' first game in the box, against Richmond in 1994, their loud encouragement prompted Steve Wallis to reel around, wondering where all the noise was coming from. And during a later match, Danny Southern responded to the disgust emanating from the box about an umpiring decision that went against the Bulldogs by looking up and nodding in agreement.

FINAL WORD
"There's a hole in the wall where the coach sat. It's about fist-sized. Mick Malthouse did it. Well, that's what we said."

- Superbox supporter Scharlaine Cairns

reece
Bronze

Post by reece »

All i can say is that it's weird and ugly but i guess it gets the job do :? ne.

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

I remember standing about 5 metres from the ladder in the 1991 fixture v the Bulldogs and Allan Jeans almost had to be bum pushed up the ladder such was the extent he was struggling.

sandyhill
Gold
Location: Just across the road from Australia's largest stadium

Post by sandyhill »

I heard on the radio (about 3 weeks ago now) that work would soon start on demolition of the Smith Stand - now better known as the Doug Hawkins Wing - at Whitten Oval (I presume it includes the coaches box). So I thought I'd better duck down there in my lunch break and take a few snaps of some of the more obscure charms of this old stand before its too late. Finally got some time to post them today -

The coaches box.

Observe the signs for the 'Doug Hawkins Wing' and the 'E.I. Smith Stand' either side of the coaches box. Also had to include the bluestone shelter in the foreground.

Massed thousands standing in the outer - now just a memory, as the weeds take over. Quite frankly, the views from this area weren't great for short people, owing to the shallow slope. But the ground could once accommodate up to 40k, and would still hold 30k - most standing, obviously.

Couldn't miss these landmarks - the game timeclock, scoreboard (up until a few years ago, this was also a district cricket venue) and the advertising tower (which overlooks the Geelong Rd flyover/Gordon St/Buckley St interchange). BTW - the photos were taken a few days after Chris Grant's 300th game.

Now for one of those quircky unusual features - I always liked (for reasons unknown to me!) how the old stand went up to and over the footpath of Gordon St, thus utilising the maximum possible room right up to the road edge, and creating a barrier between the busy traffic street and the quiet oval itself - which adds much to the historical atmosphere of the oval. Will be a shame to see this go. Also love the barbed wire!

A view of the Gordon St footpath, as it goes under the stand, looking like a tunnel.

Taken from the footpath under the stand.

Taken from across Gordon St, with the Geelong Rd exit tight against the edge of the stand - no wasted space here. The exterior of the stand has that gritty old inner urban industrial type of look that's so appropriate for the area, and is another reason why I like it.

Last shot - OK its basically a crap old stand, the views weren't great, the facilities primitive, its kinda dirty, decaying, and no longer used for spectators. But I'll really miss the Gordon St streetscape with the stand overhang of the footpath, and the ground itself won't be the same when opened up to the noise of Gordon St and the interchange. But with $20m to be spent (mostly on the other side) can't stop progress.

I took some more Whitten Oval shots on the other side of the oval - where the better facilities are. I didn't post these as they weren't part of this theme. Will post them later, maybe on a different thread.

stadiumking
Gold

Post by stadiumking »

Great photos sandyhill.
If you have a search through this stadiums section, you will find some other photos of Whitten Oval including the main Grandstand. Interesting to not that in the pictures I took (late last year), the scoreboard still has the remenants of the score from the last AFL match at the ground - Bulldogs vs Eagles. The tribute to Chris Grant must have been the first time they have changed it.

reece
Bronze

Post by reece »

Whats going to replace that standing undercovered stand then. When it was in it's hay day though it would have been a pretty good VFL venue :D

reece
Bronze

Post by reece »

How much seated stands are there at Whitten'

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Good use of space.

Great photos.

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

Imagine all the used syringes on the footpath under the stand.

stadiumking
Gold

Post by stadiumking »

hot_dogma wrote:Imagine all the used syringes on the footpath under the stand.
good call

cheyne_87
Bronze

Post by cheyne_87 »

i remember my old man telling me once that back in the 60's or 70's (probley about the same time they were building the geelong rd overpass) that there was a plan to compolsory aquire the houses on the opposite side of gordon street and put gordon street there and extending the outer over where gordon street currenty stands. dont know if it was just going to be just outer or a proper grandstand. if it was a grandstand i think that the dogs may still be there for interstate games.

whilst on the subject of whitten oval, the john gent stand used to be a regular grandstand much like the whitten stand before it was boxed in and corpratatised (if thats even a word). you can see the original slope of the stand if u have a side on picture of it.

stadiumking
Gold

Post by stadiumking »

cheyne_87 wrote:whilst on the subject of whitten oval, the john gent stand used to be a regular grandstand much like the whitten stand before it was boxed in and corpratatised (if thats even a word). you can see the original slope of the stand if u have a side on picture of it.
I never noticed that....Fantastic!! That's really great....thanks.

cheyne_87
Bronze

Post by cheyne_87 »

if you've ever seen the footage where teddy whitten is giving a speech after his last game you can see the gent stand in its previous state there.

reece
Bronze

Post by reece »

When was the last game at Whitten it looks like a good former VFL ground with 2 good size stands :D

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

I know stadiumking or reece are going to demand I get back to Melbourne now but I have a book which features an aerial shot of the Western Oval from the 1920's or 30's.