Tasmania football (soccer) stadium venues

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
Chuq
Bronze

Tasmania football (soccer) stadium venues

Post by Chuq »

Some oldish articles, but relevant

Tasmania could get qualifier - 13 Oct 2007
http://www.news.com.au/mercury/story/0, ... 22,00.html

Selected quotes:
FOOTBALL Federation Australia CEO Ben Buckley is not ruling out a Socceroos World Cup qualifying match in Tasmania soon.
Buckley, who grew up in Tasmania and played for eight seasons in the AFL with North Melbourne, was in Hobart on Thursday night, together with three other high-ranking FFA officials in John Boultbee (head of high performance), Rob Baan (national technical director) and Matt Bulkeley (head of game development).
They were in the state to meet Football Federation Tasmania officials and discuss the future direction of soccer in Australia.

"We are here to meet FFT and give them an outline of the FFA strategic plan for the next four or five years and to work through some of the specific initiatives that we hope to develop," Buckley said.
"We'll review every major population centre around the country and Tasmania is one of those.

"I spent my teenage years growing up in Tasmania and I certainly know where the state is and I don't think it's the forgotten state.

"I think the game has come a long way here in recent periods."
Tasmania wants A-League Bid - 27 Nov 2007
http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/65860,ta ... e-bid.aspx
York Park (Aurora Stadium) in Launceston has already hosted Pre-Season Cup matches in 2006 and 2007 but a potential stumbling block is finding a facility to play a large percentage of home games in Hobart.

The State’s premier venue, Bellerive Oval, does not contain drop-in pitch technology rendering it unsuitable for anything other than cricket.

According to Mr Shaw this is where the Government could step in to provide support in redeveloping an AFL venue in North Hobart.

“I think if a consortium comes along and says they want to finance an A-League team then they’d have a pretty good case to go to State Government and Hobart City Council to start talking about a redevelopment,” he said.

“To be able to have a Tasmanian team in that league, we need some support from the government in terms of a facility.”
I personally think the quotes from Buckley in the first article are more of a "get a decent venue sorted out with the government/city councils and you will get more games" (whether they be Olyroos, A-League XI, Socceroos friendlies, Socceroos WC qualifers).

jemo27
Bronze

Post by jemo27 »

agree, tasmnain cricket sorted themselves out and last year they won the Shefield Shield and were runners up in the Twenty20 and this year should make the one day final.

Tasmanian needs to invest in there footballing future so in the future the could have an a-league team and hopefully host Australian matchs

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

How popular is soccer in Tassie? It has a big following around th mainland but we don't hear much about Tasmania except for Australian Rules football and cricket.

If the facility is there, Tasmania can successfully host one-off "big games." We've seen it with the cricket. We saw it last year with basketball. The Derwent Ent Cent hosted the Boomers last year and that game sold out - a far cry from the Devils days.

A dedicated rectangle field is probably beyond Tassie at this stage. Latching on to one of the two big ovals is probably the best way Tassie will host a major game at this stage - and it is likely to be Aurora Stadiums because it has more seats and a larger capacity. If they get a few more A-League games under their belt they'll be on the right track. That's probably the key. The Tassie Government or Aurora Stadium should look to getting a contract with FFA or MVFC to have regular pre-season games. One thing the FFA/A-League clubs have been good with is taking pre-season games to different centres around the place.

Once they establish themselves as good club hosts, it comes to what major event they'd host. They'd be at the back of a line for Socceroo games given how major mainland cities are already missing out. Maybe a Matildas game or an Olyroos game would be more their thing. If Australia ever hosted a major regional tournament you'd have to consider them.

Chuq
Bronze

Post by Chuq »

Jeffles wrote:How popular is soccer in Tassie? It has a big following around th mainland but we don't hear much about Tasmania except for Australian Rules football and cricket.
The same as the rest of Australia - very popular at grassroots level, Southern Premier League and Norther Premier League are probably similar to any other state league, adjusted for population, interest in A-League is relatively untested due to the lack of a team (although the pre-season games drew big crowds (6800 and 8000)), and of course the Socceroos are loved by pretty much everyone.
If the facility is there, Tasmania can successfully host one-off "big games." We've seen it with the cricket. We saw it last year with basketball. The Derwent Ent Cent hosted the Boomers last year and that game sold out - a far cry from the Devils days.
True! We also draw big crowds for AFL games (closest to international you'll get with that sport) and international cricket games, as you said
A dedicated rectangle field is probably beyond Tassie at this stage. Latching on to one of the two big ovals is probably the best way Tassie will host a major game at this stage - and it is likely to be Aurora Stadiums because it has more seats and a larger capacity.
Well that's the problem, its very chicken and egg - if we keep hosting games in stadiums that are not really suited to the sport then it will reflect badly on the sport and the crowds will drop.
If they get a few more A-League games under their belt they'll be on the right track. That's probably the key. The Tassie Government or Aurora Stadium should look to getting a contract with FFA or MVFC to have regular pre-season games. One thing the FFA/A-League clubs have been good with is taking pre-season games to different centres around the place.

Once they establish themselves as good club hosts, it comes to what major event they'd host. They'd be at the back of a line for Socceroo games given how major mainland cities are already missing out. Maybe a Matildas game or an Olyroos game would be more their thing. If Australia ever hosted a major regional tournament you'd have to consider them.
I think Aurora Stadium would be keen for this, but the Tassie Government just doesn't care. Another Tasmanian football fan posted on another forum that he asked FFT CEO Martin Shaw about Tasmania hosting Olyroos matches (which Adelaide got). FFT stated that the SA major events govt department underwrote the event in SA, whereas the Tas equivalent was not willing to do so.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

The Tasmanian Government would have been wiser using the 4 million dollar sponsorship of Hawthorn, to have actually developed its own A-League team.

The FFA has made it clear, that any city can get a team if it shows them the money. Tasmania is ripe for an A-League team, the returns the State Government would have recieved in terms of tourism, would have been far better then the sponsorship of Hawthorn Football Club.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

I think Tassie has done well with the Hawks deal. They get loads of exposure in the biggest sporting competition this country has. In addition, they guarantee seven big events each year that bring thousands of interstate tourists and their dollars. All this without having to wear the costs of having a team full time.
Chuq wrote:Well that's the problem, its very chicken and egg - if we keep hosting games in stadiums that are not really suited to the sport then it will reflect badly on the sport and the crowds will drop.
Not necessarily. The chicken and egg factor - I suggest it uis more a catch 22 - is a good point though. The dedicated stadium won't come unless there is a full time team and vice versa. At this stage, I wouldn't jump the gun and build a stadium - in York Park, there is already a facility prepared to host clubs and a facility clubs are prepared to use for one offs.
Chuq wrote:I think Aurora Stadium would be keen for this, but the Tassie Government just doesn't care. Another Tasmanian football fan posted on another forum that he asked FFT CEO Martin Shaw about Tasmania hosting Olyroos matches (which Adelaide got). FFT stated that the SA major events govt department underwrote the event in SA, whereas the Tas equivalent was not willing to do so.
A few successful A-League pre season games may swing the Major Event body around but in the mean time, the stadium and Launceston Council may be ableto do something together without Mr Lennon's Government. A-League fans already have a travelling kulcha. Some guaranteed A-League games in advance will bring people to the state.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Jeffles wrote: they guarantee seven big events each year that bring thousands of interstate tourists and their dollars
I think you will find most of the supporters are locals. The exposure that a Tasmanian team playing in the A-League would do much more then what the AFL does.
in York Park, there is already a facility prepared to host clubs and a facility clubs are prepared to use for one offs.
The unfortunate aspect is Jeffles, is that York park is longer then Subiaco Oval. If you have watched rectangular codes at that venue, you realise an A-League team would have no hope to be established if you put it in Launceston.

North Hobart Oval would be the place I would go as others have mentioned, York Park is unfortunately just way to big for any regular season A-League games.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Egan wrote:I think you will find most of the supporters are locals.
That's OK. Even a mere 1000 visitors (a big underestimation), seven times per year would bring in a lot more than $4m they've outlayed and that's on direct visits alone. Add in the club personnel's outlays and the number of interstate visitors that do show up plus the TV exposure and we're talking a worthwhile investment.
Egan wrote:The exposure that a Tasmanian team playing in the A-League would do much more then what the AFL does.
Yes but the AFL investment is cheaper and would deliver Tassie more bang for their buck. 7 games for $4m plus exposure of FTA TV (something the A League lacks) and exposure to a largewr nationwide audience means AFL = a good investment.
Egan wrote:The unfortunate aspect is Jeffles, is that York park is longer then Subiaco Oval. If you have watched rectangular codes at that venue, you realise an A-League team would have no hope to be established if you put it in Launceston.
I'm not even talking A-League. What I'm talking about is establishing a regular one-off incidence of top level soccer in Tassie with a view towards getting more regular fixtures. As large as its playing field is it is the most suitable candidate because the ground has a high proportion of bucket seats, a large capacity, and an active administration keen on getting big events. If big games were to be held there (rep fixtures) you'd have it there instead of at smaller venues.
Egan wrote:North Hobart Oval would be the place I would go as others have mentioned, York Park is unfortunately just way to big for any regular season A-League games.
I suggested NHO becoming a rectangle ground in another thread. Realistically, you'd build a ground there of note if a team was guaranteed but that's too far in the future. At the monent, the state needs to work on getting some regular games there.

Chuq
Bronze

Post by Chuq »

Jeffles wrote:I think Tassie has done well with the Hawks deal. They get loads of exposure in the biggest sporting competition this country has. In addition, they guarantee seven big events each year that bring thousands of interstate tourists and their dollars. All this without having to wear the costs of having a team full time.
I'm fairly sure its only 4 a year. But this isn't about AFL, I can't stand the sport :P Even the people who do like AFL are pissed off about the deal, but that's cause they are anti everything Lennon does!
Chuq wrote:Well that's the problem, its very chicken and egg - if we keep hosting games in stadiums that are not really suited to the sport then it will reflect badly on the sport and the crowds will drop.
Not necessarily. The chicken and egg factor - I suggest it uis more a catch 22 - is a good point though. The dedicated stadium won't come unless there is a full time team and vice versa. At this stage, I wouldn't jump the gun and build a stadium - in York Park, there is already a facility prepared to host clubs and a facility clubs are prepared to use for one offs.
York Park is great for pre-season A-League games where they are only expecting 1/3 f the stadium capacity and can shift the pitch closer to the main stand. But put a rectangular pitch in the middle of that oval and then take into account that most of the stands are ground level, it isn't the best presentation of the sport.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Chuq wrote:I'm fairly sure its only 4 a year. But this isn't about AFL, I can't stand the sport :P Even the people who do like AFL are pissed off about the deal, but that's cause they are anti everything Lennon does!
Oops - yeah it is four - and still a good investment at that.
Chuq wrote:York Park is great for pre-season A-League games where they are only expecting 1/3 f the stadium capacity and can shift the pitch closer to the main stand. But put a rectangular pitch in the middle of that oval and then take into account that most of the stands are ground level, it isn't the best presentation of the sport.
That's the catch 22. If Tassie gets a big game they have three choices. They can build a new stadium to host one game (not economical), they can move to a smaller ground like Bellerive of NHO (sacrifice the crowd and piss people off) or they can make a real go of supporting Aurora Stadium getting a big crowd and more events in the future (big crowd + more events leads to a better quality stadium).

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

I suggested NHO becoming a rectangle ground in another thread. Realistically, you'd build a ground there of note if a team was guaranteed but that's too far in the future. At the monent, the state needs to work on getting some regular games there.
I actually think it is more realistic then the bigger games.

Chuq
Bronze

Post by Chuq »

Comparison of sizes of Tassie's three main existing grounds.

(same scale in google maps)

For comparison, the MCG at the same scale is here - link

And SCG/SFS same scale here - link

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

Has there ever been much talk of NHO being rectangalised down in Tasmania?

I know I have mentioned it a few times on this forum as well as SFCU but I'd be curious to know if the locals have ever discussed it.

Chuq
Bronze

Post by Chuq »

hot_dogma wrote:Has there ever been much talk of NHO being rectangalised down in Tasmania?

I know I have mentioned it a few times on this forum as well as SFCU but I'd be curious to know if the locals have ever discussed it.
At the moment NHO is the headquarters of AFL Tasmania. I think there would be a massive stink kicked up if someone suggested it. Mind you, I don't think they own it - it is owned by Hobart City Council... but there would be some sort of emotional attachment (despite the fact they have only been based there for 15 or so years)

But you are right, it is the logical ground - the least used of Tassie's big three, and the right shape.

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

Chuq wrote:
hot_dogma wrote:Has there ever been much talk of NHO being rectangalised down in Tasmania?

At the moment NHO is the headquarters of AFL Tasmania. I think there would be a massive stink kicked up if someone suggested it. Mind you, I don't think they own it - it is owned by Hobart City Council... but there would be some sort of emotional attachment (despite the fact they have only been based there for 15 or so years)

But you are right, it is the logical ground - the least used of Tassie's big three, and the right shape.
That was the slant that I also attached when I discussed it in depth on the Sydney FC forum. Whilst it is the most logical choice it is also the spiritual home of Australian football in the state so there would be a mass shitty-up.

But given the shambolic state of the game down there I wonder if there would be much resistance.