The NSL Finals System

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
Jeffles
Platinum

The NSL Finals System

Post by Jeffles »

I'll start straight out and say that I don't like it guys. To all the ignorant out there the finals system is as follows. After the home and away season has finished, the top 6 sides play each other again in a mini home and away series to determine the finalists. That is 10 games (each club plays the other five finalsists home and away) before deciding the Grand Finalsists.

It is too long in my view. It does not give adequate reward for the full home and away series. Also, the amount of matches played is so great, that the int4ensity associated with "finals footy" goes out the window.

I think I'm in the minority. What do you guys think?

argee
Bronze

Post by argee »

I totally agree Jeffles. Much too long. The only good thing is that the top teams do have a head start based on their points from the regular season. So those from 3rd to 10th are really playing catch up so the likelihood of the minor premiers being advantaged enough to reach the final is higher.
But, yes the whole thing is too long.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

I don't think the top 2 sides have that much of an advantage. Olympic got 6 points for being minor premiers (2 wins equivalent) and Perth got 3 points for second (1 win). That can easily be eroded over 10 rounds.

What a joke! I think it is obvious that SA wanted a longer season without expansion (whic no one would put up money for). If they wanted a longer season another full round of home and away fixtures would have been more appropriate. But I don't even agree with playing teams an odd number of times. Maybe SA should have just cut their losses and gone straight into a normal finals series.

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

I dislike the finals system also. It takes away the spectical. The crowds on the weekend were hopeless. Even in Perth they only got 6,000 (because it was shown on TV). We won't see a repeat of last year where they got 17,000 in Newcastle for the prelim or whatever it was and 30,000 in Perth.

I'm also disapointed that the reform of the league isn't happening until season after next. I think it has to be done sooner than later - much sooner.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

I was one of the 6000 odd fans that turned up to perth Glorys second lowest home crowd in the clubs short existence. The game was played in less then ideal conditions overcast day, no fans in Perth turn up when it looks like its going to rain (not even the eagles). Its just the way Perth people are. Yet the Glory had to pay $6000 to Ch 7 to broadcast the match was an absoloute insult to Australian Soccer. How can a club pay $6000 every match to expose Perth Glory all over Western Australia and get 6000 people to a match. The Glory would have paid CHANNEL 7 $30 000 to broadcast 5 live home games. The glory have decided not to broadcast any more matches due to the impact on the crowd it had. Channel 7 did not offer the coverage to be delayed, did not offer away matches, it had to be live and we had to listen to Basil Zempilas. If your wondering why australian soccer is in dissaray think Ch7 who broadcast the first NSL match for the season and created more headaches then Shane Warne. It just shows you how far Ch 7 have dug there hole. Its great to see though pay tv has agreed to cover the match, yet we cannot get optus or austar in Perth and so wont be able to watch the game this week against Parramatta. On the view of the NSL final series I think it is not completely negative it has 5 home matches which are cuthroat to maintain your position in the top two. I think crowds will increase for the glory with up to 17,000 people will go to the Glory v Sharks match and 13,000 for this weeks match. Hopefully people in the eastern states will support it and the Grand Final is in Perth so the GF can be played in front of 42,000 Perth supporters. ( My tip for the team to play in Perth, Adelaide have a great coach and have experience etched throughout there team)