Rugby League Crowds

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
argee
Bronze

Rugby League Crowds

Post by argee »

I was watching the NRL season opener (Roosters vs Eels) last night and was miffed by the smallness of the crowd. There were huge numbers of empty seats in the upper tiers and at each end. Where was everyone??? For a season opening game between two of the best followed teams in Sydney, the game should have been a sellout. Especially at Aussie Stadium. I mean, that is a pretty short drive for all of Bondi Junction's Jaguar/Mercedes/BMW drivers (quite a few I'm told). Have the ticket prices gone up drastically or what? It was shameful that in a market the size of Sydney, a full house could not be attracted to the game.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

They got 24,000 there Argee. That's a great crowd for a club game. I don't know what you are talking about. They probably would have got the same crowd had it been at Parra. I was there on Friday. The upper level Eastern side (Nick Sheadie Stand) is the side the TV Cameras face. It is always nearly empty because they are the worst seats in the house and always sold last. The upper level on the Western side (Members) was at least half full on Friday night, I sat opposite and saw this.

The ticket prices did not go up at all on last year. I realise the occassion last night but trust me, that was a good crowd. The Roosters have a small fan base being trapped in that tiny part of Sydney known as the Eastern Suburbs. Also, the corresponding match last year, also played on a Friday night in Round 15, drew 9648 http://nrl.rleague.com/2002/roosters.php So I guess factoring in the Season Opener and the Defending Premiers tags you have a great crowd.

NSW Super 12 Rugby Union got 28,000 the next night and they represent the whole STATE. I think the NRL crowds were fine.

argee
Bronze

Post by argee »

I hear what you're saying Jeffles, but the fact remains that the Roosters are the defending champs and 24000 is barely over half capacity for the ground. The sport of rugby league deserves better than that for the first game of the season considering that the rebuilding process since the Super League war is still ongoing.They may as well have held the game at Parra where the more intimate setting and capacity would have made for the best possible atmosphere.
P.S. Why is the Roosters/Eels game being regarded as one of the most INTENSE in years? Parra were rarely in the game and besides that there were very few instances of brilliance from either side. All I'm saying is that I have seen many games of a much higher standard (from both teams) than the relatively dull display on Friday night.

mandilee7
Bronze

Post by mandilee7 »

newcastle knights are gonna win the comp!!!!!

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

This month's edition of Rugby League Review says crowds are up 10% on the corresponding time last year and are on track for the second greatest NRL crowd average figure ever (the highest since 1994, the last year before the Super League war).

Dan
Silver

Post by Dan »

Jeffles...

I certainly think they are also on track,and will not be far behind that 1994 figure.Considering that Brisbane will play their remaining home games out of Suncorp,and will probably average 40.000+ if they keep winning.

According to http://stats.rleague.com/rl/crowds/summary.html ,they are on target for the highest ever average attandances

Misty Bee
Bronze

Post by Misty Bee »

The roosters are one of the least supported home teams in the comp, because of a tiny local area. besides, Aussie Stadium is miles away from the average Sydney sider. Basically,it is 20ks away from the demographic centre of Sydney.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

That misconception is not true anymore Misty Bee. The Roosters were renowned for ghavign poor crowds and a small supporters base. But on the back of their recent success and some good marketing by Richard Fisk (ther marketing manager who revitalised Cronulla with the intro of Saturday night matches in the early 1990s) the Roosters this year averaged around 16,000. Parra averaged less than 12K.

I don't think the traditional size of your base matters as much anymore. Supproters will be drawn to successful teams wherever they are.

PUT THIS ON THE NEWS BIT CAM. Another good point for NRL regular season crowds this year is that they averaged 14,456. This is a record for regular season averages surpassing the 2000 mark of 14,372. Th3 aggregate figure of 2.6 million or so was not a record. The record of 3.06 million belongs to 1995 when there 220 matches (as opposed to the 180 this year in a smaller comp).