A-LEAGUE launch: "New Football"

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Mate I did have similar problems myself...I shall go to the games with you mate...normally I go by myself, I wouldn't miss a game even if I am by myself...it was pretty freaky when the lights went out though :wink:

Ill meet you at the next Glory game decked out in my colours...Just have to add last seasons strip to my gallery of shirts...Reebok our 4th shirt sponsor...not that I am complaining my two sides will be sponsored by Reebok.

Sathc
Bronze

Post by Sathc »

Thankfully my current shirt (last season's) is just becoming too small. Time to get a new one :)

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Sathc wrote:Thankfully my current shirt (last season's) is just becoming too small. Time to get a new one :)
Or time to lose weight.

Meanwhile Soccer NSW has pulled out of the Sydney FC. They accused Frank Lowy and family of treating it like his hobby plaything (they aren't far off).

What a loss! Hopefully they set up another club down the track and stick to it.

Hiraldo
Silver

Post by Hiraldo »

Matthew Hall wrote:Soccer NSW stakeholders, including juniors, amateur players and state league clubs, had raised concerns about a perceived lack of consultation on key Sydney FC issues.

These included:

- The choice of Aussie Stadium at Paddington over Parramatta Stadium as the team's home ground.

- The selection of Soccer NSW technical director Branko Culina as inaugural coach being overruled.

- The appointment of Lou Sticca, a Melbourne-based player agent, as recruitment consultant.

- The erosion of Soccer NSW's initial 100 per cent involvement to just 25 per cent.

- The signing of a 20-year-old American college player, Alejandro Salazar, ahead of young NSW hopefuls in a tight team roster.

- Soccer NSW being unable to get its preferred candidates elected to the Sydney FC board
- http://www.smh.com.au/news/Soccer/NSW-c ... click=true

IMHO, Soccer NSW are acting like spoilt brats.
Jeffles wrote:They accused Frank Lowy and family of treating it like his hobby plaything (they aren't far off).
If it was anyone's plaything then it was Soccer NSW's. ie: trying to appoint someone with an existing role in the state body as club coach.

Sorry, but I just don't think it's right for state body's to have an administrative role in the club. It's the perfect recipe for a conflict of interest. An affiliation role would be fine.

Sathc
Bronze

Post by Sathc »

Or time to lose weight.
Mate if I lost weight, I would look anorexic 8)
I have just had the shirt since I was 13

the guy
Silver

Post by the guy »

its soccer NSW's loss, and the league's (and fan's) gain. the last thing we need is for these teams to be puppets of state associations.
Soccer NSW's requests were selfish and wrong for the league anyway.

Hiraldo
Silver

Post by Hiraldo »

An article on the matter by someone without an axe to grind (a first):
Michael Cowley wrote:The decision by Soccer NSW not to take up a 25 per cent stakehold in Sydney FC will neither damage the bond between the A-League club and the hundreds of thousands of registered soccer players in the state, nor put any financial strain on the new club.

The Soccer NSW board, at its annual general meeting, declined to take up the ownership offer but agreed to continue working with Sydney FC in the development of the game.

Only half the ownership of SFC has been taken up, Westfield shopping heir David Lowy and Sydney property developer Peter Turnbull having 25 per cent apiece. Soccer NSW was expected to take another quarter share, leaving a fourth to be divided among several interested parties who can now bid for one of two 25 per cent shares.

"The soccer players in this country - and in particular Sydney - are the true heartbeat of the game and we intend forming very strong links with them," Sydney FC chairman Walter Bugno said on Saturday.

"We have agreed to work together to ensure the success of the club and to give back to the grassroots of the game. The most important thing is that Sydney FC and Soccer NSW will work together at the grassroots level to make sure both parties can achieve their relevant objectives from the partnership."

Australia Soccer Association chief executive John O'Neill said there had been "significant inquiries from interested parties who wish to take up a stake" in SFC.

"We accept the decision of Soccer NSW to withdraw from the ownership structure of Sydney FC, but most importantly they have pledged their support through the continuation of a service agreement," he added.
- http://www.smh.com.au/news/Soccer/Socce ... 53804.html

An article by someone with an axe to grind:
Ray Gatt wrote:SOCCER NSW president Tom Doumanis expressed outrage yesterday over suggestions his organisation withdrew its stake from Sydney FC because of concerns about Frank Lowy's involvement with the new team.

In what some experts believe is a blow to the Sydney team, SNSW decided on Saturday against taking up a 25 per cent commitment worth $1.25 million.

"Yes, it's true we will not be financially involved with the club, but not for the reasons touted in the media this morning," Doumanis said.

It was claimed in yesterday's papers the decision was influenced by several reasons, including:

* Disenchantment with Australian Soccer Association chairman Lowy and his family's autocratic involvement in the club.

* The rejection of Branko Culina as coach.

* Refusal to allow a SNSW representative on the board.

* The choice of Aussie Stadium over Parramatta Stadium as the club's home ground.

* Lack of consultation on Sydney FC issues.

One SNSW insider was quoted as saying: "Sydney FC is no longer the people's team. It may as well be called Sydney City" (after the now-defunct national league club Lowy used to run).

But Doumanis went into damage control yesterday.

"The claims in the media are total rubbish. They are outrageous," he said.

"This will cause enormous damage. We will have to mend the bridges."

However, Doumanis was cautious when asked why his organisation was not taking up the 25 per cent stake in the club.

"Private enterprise has a different perspective in regards to how things should be done, especially administratively," he said.

"We (SNSW) live on a consultative and communal basis, whereas a club enterprise is more self-indulgent."

Doumanis said SNSW will continue to work with Sydney FC "as per our service agreement".

"We want the club and the A-League to work. It is important for the game in this country," he said.

"All our members are 100 per cent behind Sydney. Who gives a damn who owns the club as long as it works."

While disappointed with the decision, Sydney FC chairman Walter Bugno said it would present no problems to the club.

"I am comfortable with the decision," Bugno said.

Sydney will need to find two more financial backers to join the Lowy family and private investor Peter Turnbull, who each have a 25 per cent share.

Aussie Home Loans boss John Symond has been linked with the club for six weeks.
- http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/co ... 22,00.html

If you ever needed evidence of this being a media beat-up... :roll:

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

I've changed my tune a bit.

Radio reports here suggest that Soccer NSW would still be keen to play a role in the "pyramid" that would lead to Sydney FC. Sounds positive.

peterss
Bronze

Post by peterss »

SathC mate being one of Egan's good friends since primary school we tend to always come across each other sometimes during a Glory game and seeing as both Egan and myself will be 18 by the time the A-League starts up we may possibly go into the SHED for the first few games (thats only of course if the FOTS isnt there). So if you are willing me and Egan could always try and sneak you into the Glory Shed :D :lol:.

Remember SatchC this chant speaks the truth

Ohhhhhhh... the glory SHED the glory SHED the glory SHED is wonderful is full of BEER, TITS and SIGNING the GLORY SHED IS WONDERFULLLLL :D

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Nah Sathc, will not go in the shed mate if I go with you.

I want to experience it a few times...but wouldn't mind having a mate to sit down...I know everyone on this forum loves to stand...but I have been brought up on sitting down on bucket seats :wink:

Sam, we haven't really been to any Glory games together :wink:

Only 5 months to go until I see the Glory play again at home...lets hope its a sell out for the game.

peterss
Bronze

Post by peterss »

Yes i know we havent been to many games together but quite a few times we either bump into each other on the Bus or somewhere in the Ground :P

Ahhh yes 5 months until my beloved GloryBoys are Back in Action :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Chris mate i am sure it wil be a sell out - the very first one ever at MES :D

Hiraldo
Silver

Post by Hiraldo »

Melbourne Victory unviel official (final) logo:

Hyundai A-League club Melbourne Victory hopes the universally recognized V for Victory symbol will galvanize the city’s football supporters behind the new club.

Officially released today, the new Melbourne Victory brand mark features a stylized white V for Victory on a Navy badge trimmed with silver.

Acting General Manager, Tony Ising, says the simplicity of the design was a fundamental issue after extensive consultation with fans.

“The message to us was loud and clear”, Ising said. “Fans are tired of gimmicks and fabricated hype. Our new logo aims to provide a single unifying image – the V for Victory – but doesn’t seek to impose an invented or manufactured culture fans need to feel bound to.”

“We’ve got a terrific opportunity here to create a new culture and destiny for football in this city. It’s important that supporters and players are part of the process of defining what this club will be, not just now but well into the future.”

In a surprising move, the Victory logo reveals that the club has embraced the term “football” over “soccer”.

“The code in Australia is about to embark on an exciting journey, and we felt it appropriate to move away from ‘old soccer’ into ‘new football’,” Ising said.

“We don’t foresee any issues with the AFL. They’ve done a wonderful job building the AFL brand and we can’t see how the emergence of new football would detract from that at all.”

“We’re looking forward to fans wearing the V for Victory on their hearts with pride as Melbourne embraces the one team for this city in the Hyundai A-League.”
- http://www.melbournevictory.com/aleague ... enuItemID=

james_
Silver

Post by james_ »

Total Arsenal rip-off!

Why doesn't it conform to the Cricket Australia-type shield like Sydney and Adelaide?

Tancred
Bronze

Post by Tancred »

Humm

ImageImage

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Ripping off state of origin AND arsenal.

Top stuff.