The ACC nukes Australian sport

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
yob
Platinum

Re: The ACC nukes Australian sport

Post by yob »

It's also kinda funny that suspected doping at an AFL club basically bombs half the NRL. :lol:

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

yob wrote:Wow. That is a variation of one of the scummy street practises of kidnapping young women, smacking them up on heroin until they become dependent, then using them in prostitution rackets.
I hope the NRL has a father who has a very particular set of skills; skills acquired over a very long career.

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Who the hell obtains legal supplements through a criminal network?

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

Best case scenario: if they you already mates with a dealer, who offered them the supplements on the understanding that they were legal but he could get them without a script?

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Simmo79 wrote:Best case scenario: if they you already mates with a dealer, who offered them the supplements on the understanding that they were legal but he could get them without a script?
And that still puts the culpability solely on the player given every club has a doctor who would no doubt gladly write you a script for whatever supplement you wanted if it genuinely improved your performance or assisted your recovery.

We're not talking about amateur elite athletes that wouldn't necessarily have access to professionals.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

No argument from me. I was just playing devil's avocado.

Doping offences are strict liability. It doesn't matter what anyone thought they were doing when they did it. If they took the sh*t, they're in the sh*t.

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

So the AFL has now named Essendon. Now waiting for the NRL.........

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

I'm going to drag this thread a little sideways.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-ne ... 5799039394

That was 2009. Blood transfusions have been a known threat for a few years now. Interestingly, there appears a backdoor method of employing the technique - injecting tendons rather than muscle. Next to impossible to prove as well.

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

Latest comment from NRL ceo, Smith, is that the ACC focus remained on the NRL.

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

what a colossal mess in every way, shape and form.

shame to see new zealanders having a go about it too, we're just as likely tbh.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

Good article
Soccer's New Match-Fixing Scandal

How #*%!ed is the beautiful game?
By Brian Phillips on February 7, 2013

I am a midlevel Hungarian gangster. You are a Finnish referee. So here's how it works. I get a call from a lieutenant in the syndicate — not from Dan Tan himself, the boss has to be protected, but from a middle man somewhere in Asia. Maybe Singapore, where Dan Tan is based; maybe someplace else. The caller says: We need so-and-so to happen in such-and-such soccer game. So I fly to Helsinki from Budapest and take a train north to Tampere, where you'll be officiating a match in the Ykkönen, the Finnish second division, between FC Ilves and FC Viikingit. We meet. It's not as if I'm lugging a duffel full of cash. The money will be laundered; we have the systems in place. I want you to be comfortable, after all.
the rest: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/892 ... ing-soccer

RobertHeatleyStand
Silver

Post by RobertHeatleyStand »

yob wrote:It's also kinda funny that suspected doping at an AFL club basically bombs half the NRL. :lol:
:lol:

Note to NRL fans - now you can hate the Bummers... like we all do :popcorn:

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

7.30 (report)

Dank was interesting. Generally self-assured. Said Hird, Robinson and the club doctor knew what he was up to "collective involvement"

Claimed he only injected the Essendon players with Vitamins B & C. When asked if he had injected them with anything else he said "nothing else" but had one of those furtive scratches of the nose as he answered which, IMO, indicated he was lying at that particular answer.

When asked if he had administered peptides intravaenously, he was adamant he did not. But I took that to be an ambiguous statement which could be interpreted to mean peptides were administered in another manner (which would be the case with hormonal supplements because they're injected into the abdomen, not into blood vessels). When pressed on how peptides were administered he didn't want to go into specifics but then started talking about protein powders. To me that looked like an evasive answer turned into a half-truth as he went on.

Also said that 3, 4 or 5 of the coaches were on supplements but further claimed that what the coaches were on was 'outside' the WADA code.

Had an interview with the ACC. He said that they told him he'd done nothing wrong. [pro tip: detectives, spooks and assorted G-men will quite casually lie to witnesses if it helps their investigation. This statement if true, is still worthless]

---
His story doesn't make objective sense. Why would this bloke, employed on hundreds of thousands of dollars a year, be needed for the administration of mere vitamin injections and protein powders? It's baffling that he would have such lucrative employment if he wasn't bringing a very particular set of skills to the table; skills acquired over many years at his clinics where hormone therapies appear to be their stock in trade.

I'm prepared to believe almost 90% of what he said. Peptides are part of his day job. He volunteered that he administered doping products to the coaches. Judging by his body language I'm convinced he was lying about what he was injecting into the players. I think the purpose of the interview was to spread the lie that nothing bad happened, but failing that he wanted to finger Hird and Robinson should the lie be exposed.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

What I don't understand is why would you administer vitamin c by injection?

Vitamin C tablets are delicious.