NRL Crowd Watch

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
Rob
Gold

Re: NRL Crowd Watch

Post by Rob »

NRL crowds start well every bloody year. Then winter hits, the crowds turn to sh*t and it ends up pretty much the same as it was last year.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Rob wrote:NRL crowds start well every bloody year. Then winter hits, the crowds turn to sh*t and it ends up pretty much the same as it was last year.
What's this about Winter? Sydney's highest rainfall occurs in the first half of the year. Anywhere from Sydney and above, Gregorian calendar is good for toilet paper. Unless it's that glossy paper, then it sort of smears around.

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Rain maybe, but I know it still gets damn cold in july.

TBH I thought that rain pretty much happened all year in Sydney.

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

We all know that it never rains in Sydney. Which is why no-one goes to NRL games.....they're all out on the harbour or in the parks. An exciting city with so much to do!
And we all know that it always rains in Melbourne. Which is why everyone goes to AFL games....nothing else to do. A boring city where there's nothing else to do!

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

Rob wrote:Rain maybe, but I know it still gets damn cold in july.

Well whatever the reason is, the observation is correct. Sydney NRL crowds do fall slightly through the middle of the season and pick up again when the August/September bandwagons are in full swing. Souths will be the bandwagon to watch this year.

bazza
Silver

Post by bazza »

Rob wrote:NRL crowds start well every bloody year. Then winter hits, the crowds turn to sh*t and it ends up pretty much the same as it was last year.
Will the AFL crowd average at the end of the season be higher than the current average of 35,000?

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

Simmo79 wrote:
Rob wrote:Rain maybe, but I know it still gets damn cold in july.

Well whatever the reason is, the observation is correct. Sydney NRL crowds do fall slightly through the middle of the season and pick up again when the August/September bandwagons are in full swing. Souths will be the bandwagon to watch this year.
And if that happens, they're in the best stadium to handle the crowd increases.

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

bazza wrote:
Will the AFL crowd average at the end of the season be higher than the current average of 35,000?
No

St James
Bronze

Post by St James »

bazza wrote:

Depends on how many games they take to Wellington.

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

bazza wrote:
I doubt it. But AFL crowds usually hold up a lot better than NRL ones do.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

bazza wrote:
Over the previous 5 seasons the average attendance after 6 rounds has been between 6% and 10% higher than the average at the end of the home and away season. Using those parameters as guides the current season would end up with an average between 31,900 and 33,100 both of which would be an improvement on last season's 31,509.

I haven't bothered calculating the NRL trends but I would assume its the same as the AFL as is the trend as the season goes on with the A-League. Starts good, levels off and finishes quite strongly because of the race for the finals.

bazza
Silver

Post by bazza »

gyfox wrote: Over the previous 5 seasons the average attendance after 6 rounds has been between 6% and 10% higher than the average at the end of the home and away season. Using those parameters as guides the current season would end up with an average between 31,900 and 33,100 both of which would be an improvement on last season's 31,509.

I haven't bothered calculating the NRL trends but I would assume its the same as the AFL as is the trend as the season goes on with the A-League. Starts good, levels off and finishes quite strongly because of the race for the finals.
So a 6 - 10% drop in NRL crowds would end up with a season attendance between 16,441 and 17,171

bazza
Silver

Post by bazza »

bazza wrote:The New Zealand Warriors look set to draw a crowd similar to the recent 'third largest ever at the caketin' in their upcoming match against Canterbury

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/863 ... Wellington
A good crowd of over 30,000 turned up to watch the Warriors play the Doggies. Must make that crowd at least the 'third largest ever at the caketin'

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/866 ... experiment

Australian clubs will start selling games there.

This is pretty interesting as both Super 15 and A-League crowds have slumped in Wellington recently. If the stadium can get 20-25,000 a game they will have a bit of money to attract more teams to the city.

Sydney NRL crowds up or down today?

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

Sydney crowds were pathetic! Only 7,000 at Penrith.....just 2,000 more than GWS. And everyone's criticising the Giants! 12,000 at Manly, 10,000 at SFS, 15,000 for Souths. Pathetic for a code which thinks it is wonderful in Australia's largest city. Am happy to be corrected ;-)