AFL 2012

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
RobertHeatleyStand
Silver

Re: AFL 2012

Post by RobertHeatleyStand »

nobleoz wrote:So AFL will now get crowds of 19,000 & the excuse will be that there are other things to do because the weather is so nice ;-)
watching television on a sunny day... those tv ratings :popcorn:

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

North Melb announce a $1 mill profit. Hobart has paid off

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

So the AFL draft wraps up on the gold coast. What a terrible choice of a venue. Just terrible accoustics. All you could hear was Greater Western Sydney Greater Western Sydney Greater Western Sydney Greater Western Sydney Greater Western Sydney Greater Western Sydney

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

In outer space no-one can hear you say GWS

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

nobleoz wrote:In outer space no-one can hear you say GWS
Nobody can hear you say it in Western Sydney either...

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

The Draft was on?

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

Boba Fett wrote:The Draft was on?
Yup... someone left the door open.

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

A good article by Wilson. Last 3 paras particularly.

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl- ... 29yyp.html

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

No, it's a sh*t article. People need to realise that they are football clubs, not welfare organisations, nor babysitters. Their primary objective is to win football games, and they are well within their rights to cut people loose that detract from that objective. That's how the real world works. We're talking about grown men here.

That doesn't mean that clubs have no role in looking after the welfare of their players, as doing so can assist in winning football games by getting players' heads in check. Stable, happy players are more likely to perform better on the field. Likewise, it's not sensible for clubs to turn a blind eye to off field misdemeanours, as it can blow out and destroy the culture of the club, which in turn loses you games. But if a player goes off the rails because he chooses to be a dickhead, then the responsibility lies with that player. Clubs need to then make an informed decision whether to get rid of him or try and fix him up.

It might be in the interests of the AFL to assist in a lot of these cases, but it's not a club's responsibility IMO.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Rob wrote:No, it's a sh*t article.
Correctamundo.

There's not too many occupations out there that pay you 200k to be a complete bogan. If you're not one to appreciate that privelege then step aside for the next person in line.

4 players named in the U18 Australian team were not drafted this year. Moneyball springs to mind here. I bet there's 4 draftees that will cry foul when the "system" let's them down with their alcohol problem. Step aside for these young talents who missed out and would quite eagerly prove the recruiters wrong.

kilonewton
Bronze

Post by kilonewton »

yob wrote: There's not too many occupations out there that pay you 200k to be a complete bogan.
Therein lies the problem. Even now, in the age of "full time professionalism", these blokes have too much time on their hands. When a bloke I used to know was on Carlton's Supp List (late 90s), every Carlton player had to either have paid work or be studying to keep them out of trouble.
I'd love to get 200k to work part time.

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

It's not really a part time job, but it can be weird hours. You might have a 6am-10am training session, and have to come back from 3pm-7pm for another one. That would include a lot of tactical stuff like video analysis and the gameplan. But you're right in that you would have a lot of free time. A lot of clubs force players to do some part time study to make sure they're kept occupied.

Not that I wouldn't love to have that sort of life if given the chance. Average salary of close to $300k now. Not that i'm under any misconception that it would be easy.

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

I would want more than $300k to be in the public eye whenever I went out!

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

nobleoz wrote:I would want more than $300k to be in the public eye whenever I went out!
And someone else wouldn't. That 4 All Australians didn't get drafted this year would suggest the talent pool is deep. Let the immature narcissists price themselves out of the market.

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

The best players are the ones who say they're doing something they really love - & getting paid for it