T20 Big Bash League (from 2011/12)

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Re: T20 Big Bash League (from 2011/12)

Post by Adelaide_United_Red »

Surely the NBL Adelaide 36ers(commonly called the 'sixers in short) would be having a quiet word to their lawyers about now?

I remember way back when South Melbourne Hellas SC wanted to re-badge as the South Melbourne Lakers(there's a lake next to their home ground at Albert Park), a certain hoops team from LaLaLand had a quiet word with their lawyers and put the kybosh on that move.

Either way, it looks as though the A-League will no longer be the owner of the worst sports team nicknames in Australian Sport once CA foist this garbage on the public. Have we got a list of proposed team names yet:

Sydney Thunder
Sydney Sixers
Brisbane Max??

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Adelaide_United_Red wrote:I remember way back when South Melbourne Hellas SC wanted to re-badge as the South Melbourne Lakers(there's a lake next to their home ground at Albert Park), a certain hoops team from LaLaLand had a quiet word with their lawyers and put the kybosh on that move.
The SANFL considered Lakers for the Cows FC as well. It would have been an ingenius move to capitalise on the speech impediments of the average Cows fan who pronounces Adelaide 'Adlay.'

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

Adelaide_United_Red wrote:Surely the NBL Adelaide 36ers(commonly called the 'sixers in short) would be having a quiet word to their lawyers about now?

I remember way back when South Melbourne Hellas SC wanted to re-badge as the South Melbourne Lakers(there's a lake next to their home ground at Albert Park), a certain hoops team from LaLaLand had a quiet word with their lawyers and put the kybosh on that move.

Either way, it looks as though the A-League will no longer be the owner of the worst sports team nicknames in Australian Sport once CA foist this garbage on the public. Have we got a list of proposed team names yet:

Sydney Thunder
Sydney Sixers
Brisbane Max??
*clears throat*

It's Maxx with two Xs. And IIRC they're a Melbourne team. Brisbane's team is the Heat.

This comp is a fukn joke

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

Simmo79 wrote: This comp is a fukn joke
So we're less than 12 months before the start of a brand new professional sporting competition and most of the teams haven't even got names/colours/venues decided yet. Let alone administration or players.

Makes the Indians appear to be master planners... :oops:

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

SA have appointed Darren Berry as coach of the Redbacks but the posting also covers the coaching of the Adelaide T20 team. WTF? CA argues the need to move away from state based structures but by appointing staff in one general position shows that the only difference you're making to the team is superficial at best.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

They're replicating the bigger problems the ARU faced with the ARC:

- International rugby/cricket is still paramount and will take most of the available media coverage and public interest.

- At the second tier the organisational, bureacratic and marketing resources are being split between BBL and State comps. The ARU had no plan for reconciling the NSW and Qld Premier comps with the ARC. The ARU's lesson is that you need to pick one or the other and back it to the hilt. Trying to do both with limited resources fucks up everything.

- The fact that they're choosing laughable identities is only a tertiary consideration given they appear unable to work out a holistic strategy for professional cricket's future. That said, cricket fans as a whole won't jump for these crappy identities. CA said it's all about Gen Y and that's great but there aren't enough cricket fans in that demo alone to sustain this comp (as it is), particularly if it doesn't start as a raging success.

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

Jeffles wrote:SA have appointed Darren Berry as coach of the Redbacks but the posting also covers the coaching of the Adelaide T20 team. WTF? CA argues the need to move away from state based structures but by appointing staff in one general position shows that the only difference you're making to the team is superficial at best.
And Qld/Brisbane have done the same getting Boof in as coach.

The other amazing thing is NSW wants a stake in BOTH Sydney based teams. I presume the Vics are pushing for the same down there. WTF? I get the feeling that nobody involved in Australian cricket administration has much interest/confidence in the long-term future of T20, which is why there is such a slap-dash amateurish attitude towards the whole thing.

Part of me agrees with them...

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

This has ARC all over it.

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

hot_dogma wrote:This has ARC written all over it.
fyp:)

Doesn't it just.
How long did the ARC last from Go to whoa? 1 season from [wiki-cheat] August to October 2007.
I feel that the BBL will last longer than4 months, especially if the Indians buy the TV rights, but perhaps not longer than the first season. Almost every cricket fan I've talked to is dead against it "specifically last night I heard my mate say, why would I go for the Adelaide Extre e Maxx when I was quite happy to follow the SA Redbacks?" A sample size of one is no great indicator, but I wonder how many will be turned off by this re-branding and if those turned on will out number those turned off by what comes across to me as a bit half arsed, gimmickry.

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Adelaide Advertiser reporting Adelaide will be named the "Strikers" Blue dominant colour with gold and red trim...sounds like the 36ers jersey to me.

Well, it could have been a lot worse, and I still think we will see worse names revealed
duck sauce:
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/big-bash- ... 6024720133

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Strikers is easily the best name to date.

And it's really not that good.

DAWSONMOX
Bronze

Post by DAWSONMOX »

May aswel as call it the the Stinkers, just like the league!

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

as long as every one screams out scabs from the stands...streekers would of been better

Merlin_Wiese
Bronze

Post by Merlin_Wiese »

Cricket Australia wrote:Victoria unveil BBL franchises
23 March, 2011
Gregor Mactaggart, Sportal

The identities of Victoria's two teams in the 2011-12 Big Bash League Twenty20 competition have been revealed.

Melbourne will be represented in the eight-team competition set down to begin next summer by the Stars and Renegades.

Based at the MCG, the Stars are expected to play in a predominantly green team strip.

The Renegades, based across town at Etihad Stadium, will take the ground in a predominantly red team strip.

The Stars and Renegades join the Sydney Thunder, Sydney Sixers and Brisbane Heat as franchise names revealed.

The new monikers of the Hobart, Adelaide and Perth teams are yet to be released.
Seriously? The Melbourne Stars and Melbourne Renegades... honestly, what was wrong with the Victoria Bushrangers. As for cross town rivalry, what is it going to be? East Melbourne vs. Docklands?

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Could have been so much worse. Red v Green, not too bad. Better than f***ing pink.