T20 Big Bash League (from 2011/12)

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
Boba Fett
Silver

Re: T20 Big Bash League (from 2011/12)

Post by Boba Fett »

Rob wrote:Could have been so much worse. Red v Green, not too bad. Better than f***ing pink.
Thanks for that reminder...[hangs head in shame at living in a city that thinks a cricket team should wear pink clothing... :oops: ]

So now we have the Sydney Thunder and the Melbourne Stars both playing in green.

Great. Just great...

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

^^^ It's all right. I have the minutes from the CA meeting that discussed this.

"One will be light green and one will be dark green."

"They can play each other and raise awareness for climate change."

"Because they're green?"

"Yeah. The yoof love that!"

"The floodlights can be powered by our own sense of self satisfaction"

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

at least it's not all black and/or blue....the usual wanky marketing types love that sh*t.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Boba Fett wrote:
Rob wrote:Could have been so much worse. Red v Green, not too bad. Better than f***ing pink.
Thanks for that reminder...[hangs head in shame at living in a city that thinks a cricket team should wear pink clothing... :oops: ]

So now we have the Sydney Thunder and the Melbourne Stars both playing in green.

Great. Just great...
Not really a great sports attending city is it though, needed to look outside of the box due to the amount of eventgoers the city has.

Glad Cricket Australia are stuffing up the worst sport in the world...

wildcat
Bronze

Post by wildcat »

Hobart will be known as the Hurricanes
http://www.themercury.com.au/article/20 ... icket.html

Isn't too bad, compared to some of the other names I have seen. It beat out other nicknames Conquerors, Rapids, Sabres, Blaze and Pride (Hobart Pride? are you f'ing serious). No colours or logo picked yet, but found this interesting...
logo and colours had not been decided on yet but each state had to contain black and white plus an individual team colour that could not be one of the state colours, ruling red, gold and green out for the Hurricanes.
Sounds like we could end up with a generic black/white uniform, with a splash of each teams colour, sounds awesome :roll:

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

^ Lol Hobart is just a mini version of Wellington anyways...

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Jeffles wrote:^^^ It's all right. I have the minutes from the CA meeting that discussed this.

"One will be light green and one will be dark green."

"They can play each other and raise awareness for climate change."

"Because they're green?"

"Yeah. The yoof love that!"

"The floodlights can be powered by our own sense of self satisfaction"
What colour ball? Might have trouble seeing it during earth hour.

Merlin_Wiese
Bronze

Post by Merlin_Wiese »

Cricket Australia have sent out a new survey regarding the upcoming Big Bash League. Very much like the ones before. Just a few details about the season from the survey:

"The league will consist of 8 city based teams which play 31 games with the top four teams playing semi-finals and the winners to contest the final.

The teams include the:
Adelaide Strikers, home ground = Adelaide Oval
Brisbane Heat, home ground = GABBA
Hobart Hurricanes, home ground = Bellerive Oval
Melbourne Renegades, home ground = Etihad Stadium
Melbourne Stars, home ground = MCG
Perth Scorchers, home ground = WACA
Sydney Sixers, home ground = SCG
Sydney Thunder, home ground = Sydney Olympic Park

Each team will play 7 matches – 1 match against each opposition team – followed by semi-finals for the top 4 finishers, and then a final for the semi-final winners. All matches will be broadcast on Foxtel. Due to the odd number of season matches, 4 of the teams will have 4 home matches in the first season, and 4 of the teams will have 3 home matches. This fixture will be reversed in season 2, so by the end of season 2 each team will have played 7 home matches. Importantly, the Melbourne and Sydney teams will play 4 matches per season, every season, in their respective cities due to the derby matches (though it will be the official home match of only one team.)

The BBL is proposing to price a single ticket to a 2011/2012 BBL match as follows:

Adult: $20 (GA), $30 (Res Seat), $40 (Prem Seat)
Concession: $12 (GA), $18 (Res Seat), $24 (Prem Seat)
Junior: $5 (GA), $10 (Res Seat), $15 (Prem Seat)
Family: $42.50 (GA), $65 (Res Seat), $87.50 (Prem Seat)

There will be an opportunity for every cricket fan to join their favourite BBL team as a member. At this stage it is anticipated that each BBL team will offer ticketed membership packages across the above 3 seating categories, as well as a non-ticketed membership package (i.e. for supporters who cannot attend matches or for those who have existing ground/association/club memberships)."

From memory last year it cost only around $10-15 for a general admission ticket. Interesting they're thinking of adopting a membership system despite each team only playing 3-4 games in their home state each season. Anyone interested in taking the survey can find it here: http://iquestion.completemr.com/Q151920/

wildcat
Bronze

Post by wildcat »

I'm surprised they only will play each other once. Its going to be tough sell for a brand new new team and new players that only get to play at home 3-4 times a year, fingers crossed for a dry summer!

Seeing as half the teams will only play 7 games, and Chris Gayle's asking price is $250k, he's looking at $35k+ for a few hours work!

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

LOL - 7 game season. By the time anyone has heard of it the comp will be over. Would have thought at least they would have gone with a 14 game season.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

Rob wrote:LOL - 7 game season. By the time anyone has heard of it the comp will be over. Would have thought at least they would have gone with a 14 game season.
Jesus. They've got no idea. The pissweak season length was the ARC's main failing for the reason Rob said.

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

And is it actually going to be called the Big Bash League? There's a proven way to get credibility as a sporting league - give it a joke name. That'll get the punters flooding in.

Who did they get to come up with this? Dr Seuss?

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

Rob wrote:Who did they get to come up with this? Dr Seuss?
Nah it can't be him, it doesn't rhyme.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

I', a bit more optimistic. I think crowds for this will be comparable to how they were for T20 last year, which means all that change would have been a waste of money.

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Post by Adelaide_United_Red »

Jeffles wrote:I', a bit more optimistic. I think crowds for this will be comparable to how they were for T20 last year, which means all that change would have been a waste of money.
Does CA have the cash reserves to continue running the comp for longer than the inaugural season if crowds stay the same as last summer and your guesstimate that it will be a waste of money (WOFTAM) is correct? It does smell suspiciously like the ARC at least to me, but I don't think I'm the only one.