SANFL 2011 and Leagues Championship Cup

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
Egan
Platinum

Re: SANFL 2011 and Leagues Championship Cup

Post by Egan »

yob wrote:
Jeffles wrote:Were they always a not-so-well-supported club or was it the relocation?
They're a lot like Melbourne FC. They grew out of a grandstand at Adelaide Oval, not a geographic area. Besides St Mary's, which was wedged between sturt's zone and a hill, they never had a region of their own. Noarlunga gives them this in theory - their own ground, a growing region, and a springboard in to the southern amateur leagues which are very well supported. The support is there, the idea is right, but the results aren't there. They're building an ideal base for the future. Unfortunately without any real success behind them, the progress is painfully slow.

I guess the best way to put it is they were like Melbourne FC for ages, now they're like Centrals when they were sh*t. Just like Centrals though they're sitting on a football gold mine - upwards of 250,000 in the region, and football mad.
I've seen on some maps that they explicitly say the words 'South Adelaide' for the southern area of the square mile...

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Post by Adelaide_United_Red »

Jeffles wrote:In the mid 1990s they relocated from Adelaide Oval to Noarlunga, in the outer southern suburbs of Adelaide.
Didn't they re-locate from StMary's(Panther Park - opposite the old mitsubishi factory) to Noarlunga.
They are attempting to follow the CDFC path to glory, [if Centrals had begun life in Pooraka for example and then moved further North to Elizabeth], but we are yet to see results.

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Friday night footy at Norwood Oval - check the crowd for those that think the attendances of the Crows and Port reflect the health of the game in Adelaide - you can be a footy fan and still dislike the AFL it seems - a strange concept I imagine for our Victorian cousins;)
GLENELG 3.2 6.5 7.10 10.16 (76)
NORWOOD 3.1 5.4 6.5 8.7 (55)

BEST - Glenelg: McMahon, Mules, Agnew, Ruwoldt, Kennedy, Kane.
Norwood: Campbell, Suckling, Jericho, Jefferies.

SCORERS - Glenelg: Clayfield 2.2, Trembath 2.1, Kennedy 1.2, Tenace 1.1, O'Grady, Cane, Kane, Allen 1.0, Ruwoldt 0.2, Grima 0.3, Lyons, Adlington, Murphy 0.1, rushed 0.2.
Norwood: Jericho 5.1, Rowe 2.0, Terlich 1.2, Aish 0.2, Zorzi, Davis 0.1.

CROWD: 8,011 at Coopers Stadium - not bad for a supposed second rate comp:)
Next week my Redlegs need to bounce back against the reigning premiers(Centrals) in the Anzac Day blockbuster at AdOval(expecting a 10k plus crowd for that one I am)

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Adelaide_United_Red wrote:
Jeffles wrote:In the mid 1990s they relocated from Adelaide Oval to Noarlunga, in the outer southern suburbs of Adelaide.
Didn't they re-locate from StMary's(Panther Park - opposite the old mitsubishi factory) to Noarlunga.
They are attempting to follow the CDFC path to glory, [if Centrals had begun life in Pooraka for example and then moved further North to Elizabeth], but we are yet to see results.
Yes, Panther Park was in between. It gave them a home ground, but not much else. Such a tiny area!

All the ingredients are there for a sound future. They're just a sh*t football team that never capitalised. An interesting stat - their first home game at Noarlunga got 10,123!

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

yob wrote:
Adelaide_United_Red wrote:
Yes, Panther Park was in between. It gave them a home ground, but not much else. Such a tiny area!

All the ingredients are there for a sound future. They're just a sh*t football team that never capitalised. An interesting stat - their first home game at Noarlunga got 10,123!
Thanks for the info, I've never been to Noarlunga Oval, planning on making the trek this year in July when Norwood plays down there. Got my all-grounds season pass all ready to goes to my club gets all the revenue:) I'll buy a snag on a roll though and help the panfers in that way;) I've been told I'll need 'Scott of the Antarctic' type clothing, apparently that ground [understatement] gets a bit chilly[/understatement]

DAWSONMOX
Bronze

Post by DAWSONMOX »

What is behind Central's seemingly unmatchable dominance over the last few years?

DAWSONMOX
Bronze

Post by DAWSONMOX »

A thought, Port Adelaide v Gold Coast @ Alberton

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

We saw our first real pumping in the cup competition today, West Adelaide smashing Ainslie 100 to 23.

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Port to provide GCSuns first AFL win? (in my happiest AFL dreams!)

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

Not on today's Showdown result!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Thankfully Port v Gold Coast won't be a showdown, so they'll be back to being sh*t then.

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

(in light of Showdown XXX only drawing 33k)...Interesting comments from former Crows capt Chris Mcdermott in today's SundayMail, regarding the AFL killing the golden Goose of the showdown by scheduling too many of them(up to 3 in a year if you include NAB Cup games) calling for a reduction to only 1 showdown per season(obviously excluding finals if and when that occurs. My first instinct is to say , yes, restore he special-ness of the showdown by
1. only play one H&A showdown per year.
2. remove live against the gate on FTA TV
3. better promotion of club events and general talking up of the game in the weeks leading in(ie not the usual crap of its just another game)..you don't hear that from Collingwood or Essendon leading up to Anzac day do you?
definite food for thought, question is, seeing as the AFL have effectively ignored the SA market for years(they see it as a population centre already won so alot of things the Crows or Port ask for regarding scheduling are shuffled way down the priority list.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Adelaide_United_Red wrote:Friday night footy at Norwood Oval - check the crowd for those that think the attendances of the Crows and Port reflect the health of the game in Adelaide - you can be a footy fan and still dislike the AFL it seems - a strange concept I imagine for our Victorian cousins;)
GLENELG 3.2 6.5 7.10 10.16 (76)
NORWOOD 3.1 5.4 6.5 8.7 (55)

BEST - Glenelg: McMahon, Mules, Agnew, Ruwoldt, Kennedy, Kane.
Norwood: Campbell, Suckling, Jericho, Jefferies.

SCORERS - Glenelg: Clayfield 2.2, Trembath 2.1, Kennedy 1.2, Tenace 1.1, O'Grady, Cane, Kane, Allen 1.0, Ruwoldt 0.2, Grima 0.3, Lyons, Adlington, Murphy 0.1, rushed 0.2.
Norwood: Jericho 5.1, Rowe 2.0, Terlich 1.2, Aish 0.2, Zorzi, Davis 0.1.

CROWD: 8,011 at Coopers Stadium - not bad for a supposed second rate comp:)
Next week my Redlegs need to bounce back against the reigning premiers(Centrals) in the Anzac Day blockbuster at AdOval(expecting a 10k plus crowd for that one I am)
8,011, 1/3 of the crowd Port gets to the games. Definitely seems as that the SANFL is taking supporters away from the AFL in Adelaide.

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

'taking away' or just voting for the product of their choice..after all it IS still footy the people are going to watch. My 2 cents is that the AFL have spent the best part of 10 years fiddling with the game and there are a subset of footy fans that prefer the way it used to be. the SANFL best represents this, hence the increase in attendances over the last 5-10 years despite a supposedly 'better/faster/more skillful' product being available.
The other states don't have a comparable competition to the SANFL so especially in Victoria's case, they continue to rock up week-in week-out(perhaps out of habit) but maybe they too are thinking the engineering of the AFL has gone too far?, but just not going is a step too far for them to even contemplate. Memberships for both the Crows AND Port are down, surely that suggests a widespread disenchantment with AFL footy in general over here. Memberships for ALL SANFL clubs are up, My Norwood are well over 3,000 for 2011. doesn't sound like a lot, but considering the blanket coverage the AFL gets here, I'm surprised there are any reporters left over for Local footy. Only 33k for the once mighty and 'impossible to get tickets for' Showdown last night might just have a few in the footy industry worried.

DAWSONMOX
Bronze

Post by DAWSONMOX »

I love tyhe SANFL and WAFL. To me it's real footy. Traditional teams at traditional grounds. Just a pity we can't see the games on tv. Would be a good think for ONEHD to replay during week.