Football(Soccer) in Australia - the future?

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
yob
Platinum

Re: Football(Soccer) in Australia - the future?

Post by yob »

Spirit of Santos wrote:
yob wrote:
Adelaide_United_Red wrote:Closer to home didn't North Melbourne issue shares of which Carlton bought a significant % ?
It was 1991 - Carlton bought 1/5 of the club before trading was suspended at the request of North. Carlton held the stake for a good 10 years before selling back to a North Melbourne board member. The club was publicly traded from 86-06.
Why did Carlton do that? Some sort of attempt at a hostile take over?
Yep.

John Elliot rubbed off on Carlton in a big way. This bloke is the archetype capitalist - thinks big and likes beating on the weak. Not only did they try taking over (and gutting) north, but basically wanted to become half the competition's land lord by redeveloping Princes Park.

A bloody legend in my book. One of those loud mouthed fat jerks that smokes a pack a day and lives to a 100 while blokes like lance armstrong eat boiled cabbage and get nut cancer.

RobertHeatleyStand
Silver

Post by RobertHeatleyStand »

yob wrote: Yep.

John Elliot rubbed off on Carlton in a big way. This bloke is the archetype capitalist - thinks big and likes beating on the weak. Not only did they try taking over (and gutting) north, but basically wanted to become half the competition's land lord by redeveloping Princes Park.

A bloody legend in my book. One of those loud mouthed fat jerks that smokes a pack a day and lives to a 100 while blokes like lance armstrong eat boiled cabbage and get nut cancer.
John Elliot almost merged the club without any consultation with the Carlton fans... just like he sold the family home without telling his wife.

He and then North president Ron Casey held talks in 1999 and agreed in principle to work out a way to merge the two clubs. Those plans were shelved when the two clubs eventually played off in the GF that same year as they though it may be a hard sell.

Spirit of Santos
Bronze

Post by Spirit of Santos »

yob wrote:
Yep.

Always thought that "Live Strong" was a load of nonsense.

John Elliot - Live Wrong.

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Post by Adelaide_United_Red »

Spirit of Santos wrote:
yob wrote:
Yep.

Always thought that "Live Strong" was a load of nonsense.

John Elliot - Live Wrong.
Until you get cancer[I'm a 3yr survivor now] then you need and eat up all the positive thinking you can to stay in the fight of your life. The man is an inspiration to millions world wide, talk about taking Lemons and turning them into Lemonade:)

Spirit of Santos
Bronze

Post by Spirit of Santos »

Yob started it!

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Spirit of Santos wrote:Yob started it!
The thread goin off topic? yes, perhaps he did. I think we all go off topic on here at times though. The future of football is the intended topic here. My last post on that topic was Gold Coast United's very admirable initiative in connecting with Gold Coast Soccer(the body that runs junior and amateur football on the Glitter Strip) I for one hope its not too late for them to engage with the community. When Clive threw open the gates last year we saw that there are people who will come out for top level football. Perhaps the pricing was perceived as wrong wghich is wht got people in when it was free. The trick as always is getting those folks to come back when it costs A$20 to get in.

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Further good news in the linking up of the pathways between park football and the A-League...first you have GCU sponsoringthe local juniors so that the "brand-name" is out in the football community, now Central Coast Mariners go the next step, placing theirnew Academy facilities at he top of the local repteams pyramid via a new MOU. This is an important step in the evolution from, 'franchises' into clubs IMO. CCM have bee at the forefront by pushing their new Academy and training facilities at Tuggerah.
Central Coast Mariners - Media Release
Monday, 18 July

Mariners pen landmark agreement
Central Coast Mariners together with Central Coast Football (CCF) have today penned an historic agreement that will help bolster the Yellow and Navy’s Hyundai A-League playing stocks for generations to come.

In an Australian football first, the Heads of Agreement signed this morning ensure that from October 1 this year, CCF’s representative Youth League programs will be integrated into and form a key component of the Mariners ambitious Academy initiatives.

Under the Central Coast Mariners brand the program will be the sole elite football Academy in the region, providing high-level training and playing opportunities to both male and female footballers.

Indeed, in its initial stages the Academy will consist of U-11 to U-18 male teams, and U-12 to senior female sides competing at the highest level permitted by Football New South Wales.

Central Coast Mariners Chairman, Mr Peter Turnbull, today hailed the partnership as yet another significant milestone in the clubs progression.

“I congratulate the CCF Board on their vision and foresight in developing this initiative with us,” Turnbull said.

“This is another commitment by the Mariners in fostering and developing youth talent to provide youngsters with a clear pathway to develop their skills and hopefully achieve a career in the sport.

“With four players in the Qantas Young Socceroos squad for the 2011 FIFA U-20 World Cup, and the captain of the Qantas U-23s in our Hyundai A-League ranks, we are ideally placed to undertake this next era of youth development.

“In fact, we will be the only Hyundai A-League club that has its own representative Youth League teams for both males and females, and I believe this is further testament to our commitment to community involvement which we have made a conscious effort in further enhancing this year.”

Under the terms of the agreement, CCF will provide the budding Mariners with access to Pluim Park, Lisarow for all representative games. Additionally, access to Jubilee Oval, Long Jetty and Leagues Club Park, Gosford for all of the Academy’s training and playing requirements will be supplied.

In return, the agreement is underpinned by the Mariners guarantee that 80 per cent of all players in the representative programs will be Central Coast residents, ensuring that a transparent development pathway from the junior to the elite level of football in the region is created.

According to CCF Chairman, Mr Darren Sprod, the agreement is a mutually beneficial one.

“This agreement provides a clear pathway for the development of elite youth players on the Coast, which follows the national curriculum sponsored by both Football New South Wales and FFA,” Sprod said. “Elite players of the region will no longer be confused over which path to take.

“The agreement allows CCF to concentrate its resources on community football and our 23 member clubs, while ensuring we support the Mariners in developing the elite footballers of the future. CCF wants to ensure we give the youth of the Central Coast every opportunity to develop, and this agreement with the Mariners ensures we remain strategically aligned with the development of the regions elite footballers.”

Former Central Coast Mariners Hyundai A-League player and current Youth Development Co-ordinator, Damien Brown, said that as a local, he feels “privileged to be involved” in this agreement.

“I am excited for all the football families across the Central Coast that CCF and the Mariners have created a clear and recognisable pathway to the top,” Brown said.

“With the Central Coast Mariners Sporting Campus underway and now an elite football training and playing Academy in place, the future of Central Coast football is in its brightest state ever.”

Finally, Mariners NYL Head Coach, Tony Walmsley, said he welcomed the opportunity to directly influence the development of local players.

“In the true partnership that now exists, the Mariners and CCF will benefit from the dedicated focus and resources given to elite programs and club football respectively.”

The agreement is subject to relevant approvals from Football Federation Australia and Football New South Wales.

Nines
Silver

Post by Nines »

What about the Glory ?
Story is that they are looking to downsiize and move away from expensive Perth Oval.
Even so far as to go to Uni artificail turf stadium .

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Nines wrote:What about the Glory ?
Story is that they are looking to downsiize and move away from expensive Perth Oval.
Something happened to my reply to your post saying something along the lines of gee, thats an old rumour, the HAL fixture for this season has Glory at nib stadium. But I did some research and barring a post from Egan I think the move to the Uni Hockey stadium is a ruse and a bit of bunkum from Sage(PGFC Owner) to get better deakl from Allia holdings and the Town of Vincent.
This blog has the most up to date info I could find and its dated February 2011!!

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/blogs.aspx?CIaBEID=2364

Nines
Silver

Post by Nines »

Adelaide_United_Red wrote:
Nines wrote:What about the Glory ?
Something happened to my reply to your post saying something along the lines of gee, thats an old rumour, the HAL fixture for this season has Glory at nib stadium. But I did some research and barring a post from Egan I think the move to the Uni Hockey stadium is a ruse and a bit of bunkum from Sage(PGFC Owner) to get better deakl from Allia holdings and the Town of Vincent.
Well it wasn't that long ago .
It was on ABC or SBS and they spent a quite a deal of time on it analysing the cost of building a stadium and moving the hockey arena .Seemingly one big negative is that artificial turf has different lengths for different sports .Looked quite legitimate to me especially knowing that Vincent Council is one of the most autocratic around and it is probably cost effective long term considering Glory's poor crowds .

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Wow, ask and ye shall receive...its no surprise that stadium economics are pounding the A-League hard, here is a SMH article by the great cock.er.ill about that very topic. Unfortunately, football doesn't have the cultural inertia of League or ARF to push harder for a better deal. I'm not sure how effective the, well if we leave it sits empty argument is. So far it appears not very. AUFC have a sweet deal with SA Dept of Sport&Rec for Hindmarsh, we all know MVFC has great terms at Jihad dome thanks to the bitching of AFL clubs bringing the issue to light, but that's only 2 of 10. the QLD clubs are copping a hammering thanks to SQ. PG is obviously keen to negotiate a better deal. That's about half the clubs in the league being pushed to the brink by 'greedy' govt depts. I wonder how the taxpayers would respond if these taxpayer funded venues were to sit idle over summer?
Bigger isn't better: Glory seek boutique venue to cut costs
Michael Cockerill - July 28, 2011
On the move? ... Perth Glory may be playing their home games at the Perth Hockey Stadium next year.

PERTH GLORY owner Tony Sage has confirmed he intends to go ahead with plans to move his team to a smaller venue next year to combat the stadium economics that he maintains are ''hammering'' the bottom line of the A-League.

At the same time as the Glory's long-time venue, the 20,000-capacity nib Stadium, is poised for a $88 million facelift, Sage is finetuning plans to shift his team to the Perth Hockey Stadium, which holds about half that number. Perth Glory are obliged to remain at their present venue for next season, but after that Sage is keen to make a move that he believes can save the club up to 50 per cent in hiring costs.
Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/a-league/bi ... z1TL9tTexA

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

It's a bit of a worry for the state of the game when a 20,000 capacity stadium is considered too big for an A-League team.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Sure is.

I suppose the uni is happy because the venue would be getting more use but I can't imagine hockey being pleased. Who will pay for the upgrades? Has Sage thought about the economics of playing at a smaller ground with fewer seats and corporates? Although it might reduce costs, it might also confine Perth to the lower part of the table.

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Boba Fett wrote:It's a bit of a worry for the state of the game when a 20,000 capacity stadium is considered too big for an A-League team.
I disagree. Its not the capacity of the stadium that is the issue. Its the rental cost imposed by the owners of the stadium. This is the primary reason MLS teams moved away from cavernous NFL stadia to SSS where they controlled the scheduling and received the income from food & beverage sales. Its no good Perth Suddenly pulling a 20,000 average(dreamin) if their break even point thanks to a greedy ToV/Allia holdings is 18,000 patrons. That being the case it makes much more business sense to investigate decamping to a 10,000 seat arena with a break even point of 2-4k(for example) If you have a smaller arena, you create a scarcity of tickets that can help drive up pre-sales, which is why MLS's Seattle sounders tarp-off a lot of their 56,00 seat stadium to produce a 'capacity' of 37,000. If PG played at a 10k stadium and a majority of those 10k were season ticket holders, then logically it makes sense to move there. The die hards will follow the team wherever they play, the issue only comes with the theatre-goers, will they travel to the WA Hockey centre? Same could be asked if SFC investigated a move to Leichardt Oval. Its no good playing in state of the art stadiums that sound good(ie saying you play at the SFS sounds better to non-football people than say Leichardt would from an image point of view) if the running costs cause the team to cut footbal dept spending to stay float. Lack of investment in the football dept is a sure sign that the team is runing on a shoe string and his is not good for assembling a competitive team or planning to be around for longer than 5 years. The A-League needs longevity. Longevity comes from a stable business model not paying through the nose to 'enjoy' the imagined feel good factor of playing in big-league stadia.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Very few MLS teams play in a venue that have a three sided hill and one tier of seating. While it means lower costs, it's sure to mean lower revenue and an overall smaller club. You can't charge the same price for a spot of grass as you can for a seat. It might be financially stable but it's hardly inspiring for the growth of the game.

This could be a bluff to get a better deal. nib would be reluctant to lose a tenant that provides around 40% of all event days per year.