NBL 2010/11

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
beastjim
Gold

Re: NBL 2010/11

Post by beastjim »

Someone somewhere still has to find the money, it can't exist on good will. Reality is that stadium costs are higher in Brisbane then Townsville and Gold Coast (not going to say Cairns because I remember them complaining about getting bent over backwards by their stadium), so the initial investment costs are much larger. Eddy Groves never made a profit out of it, while breaking even the year they won it (not sure if he over spent on players/coach ect)

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Post by Adelaide_United_Red »

beastjim wrote:Someone somewhere still has to find the money, it can't exist on good will. Reality is that stadium costs are higher in Brisbane then Townsville and Gold Coast (not going to say Cairns because I remember them complaining about getting bent over backwards by their stadium), so the initial investment costs are much larger. Eddy Groves never made a profit out of it, while breaking even the year they won it (not sure if he over spent on players/coach ect)
I'm not sure any team/franchise(hate that word tbh) in our smaller 'niche' sports like football and b-ball make money at all. In football you can point to some expensive stadium rental costs like in SE QLD for Roar and GCU**...is it the same (govt?) organisation that runs the venues for HAL and the BrisEntCent(hoops)??

**that and nobody turns up on the Glitter strip for football:( , unknown for me about the Blaze?

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

Stadiums Queensland does run the Bris Entertainment Centre, but more likely the would play out of the convention centre in town (at South Bank), which is sort of privately run (actually don't quote me on that, certainly not Stadiums Queensland though). Same place the firebirds play out of in the netball. Entertainment Centre is too big for your average bball crowd these days.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Geese if Tinkler brings an NBL franchise to the city he holds a monopoly stake in the sporting stakes in Newcastle. Its also a smart move in making Newcastle/Hunter Valley a more attractive place to live as competition for mining workers increases.

I'd be tenative in bringing back a second Melbourne side.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Oh and I haven't been to Challenge Stadium this year but ticket prices are now $35 a ticket for the cheapest seat. Pretty expensive considering the facilities at Challenge. But they have the profile to charge those sort of prices. Hopefully they go down when they have more seats to sell at the Entertainment Centre.

http://www.nbl.com.au/wildcats-home/tickets/pricing/

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Egan wrote:Oh and I haven't been to Challenge Stadium this year but ticket prices are now $35 a ticket for the cheapest seat. Pretty expensive considering the facilities at Challenge. But they have the profile to charge those sort of prices. Hopefully they go down when they have more seats to sell at the Entertainment Centre.

http://www.nbl.com.au/wildcats-home/tickets/pricing/
I''m sorry, but $35 for basketball in this country is f**king ludicrous! With competition for the entertainment dollar so intense, does BA have its head in the same sand dune as FFA? And I thought at @27.50, tickets to the A-League were too expensive...thank you basketball for giving me ammunition to use against the haters. Playing in the same season, at least we're(AUFC) not charging Barclays Premier League prices or even NBL prices! When does the new EntCent come on line Egan? seems like its been U/C for years now?

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

^ Ticket prices are done by the Wildcats. To be fair on them, the market of basketball fans are obviously prepared to pay the $35 a game tickets.

Wildcats have the most stable supporter base in Perth due to the club being in the finals every year since 1987. When they go back to the city they will be looking at an average of between 8-10,000 (they are as big, if not bigger than the Glory).

Looking at official sites, finished at the beginning of 2012 and ready for events by mid 2012. I suppose if the Wildcats make the GF, they may be able to move the opening a few months forward.

DAWSONMOX
Bronze

Post by DAWSONMOX »

Oh I hope beyond all hope that that second team in Melbourne will be the return of the NORTH MELBOURNE GIANTS!!! Melbourne is a must for a second team though, as not everyone like the tigers. It's like Getting rid of Collingwood and asking their supporters to go for Carlton. I can't follow basketball properly as I can't stnad the Tigers and the Wildcats are 3000kms away.

Great news about the Bullets though!

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

Brisbane Bullets will be Convention Centre for sure i'd say. Although I did hear a while back the possibility of the Chandler sports centre. Would be a stupid idea though. How about sticking a court in the Pat Rafter Arena? While on the subject of Tennis Centres, base a new Melbourne Team in the new upgraded Margaret Court Arena which will have a roof, a seating capacity of over 7,000, and be cheaper to run than Hisense or Rod Laver Arena.

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Is the upgraded Margaret Court Arena going to be fully enclosed or partially open? to allow for air flow in the height of Summer. I think BA/NBL regs state that arenas must be air-conned(rthink I read it on this site somewhere)

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

Having basketball played at somewhere like Pat Rafter Arena would certainly give it a use for the other 358 days of the year when the Brisbane International isn't on.
Convention Centre is still the way to go, inner city, plenty of restaurants and pubs in the South Bank/West End area, and it has plenty of parking underneath as well.

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

Adelaide_United_Red wrote:Is the upgraded Margaret Court Arena going to be fully enclosed or partially open? to allow for air flow in the height of Summer. I think BA/NBL regs state that arenas must be air-conned(rthink I read it on this site somewhere)
That makes sense. I remember they played a one-off NBL match in Bendigo a while back and the players complained about the arena not being air-conditioned.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

beastjim wrote:Having basketball played at somewhere like Pat Rafter Arena would certainly give it a use for the other 358 days of the year when the Brisbane International isn't on.
Convention Centre is still the way to go, inner city, plenty of restaurants and pubs in the South Bank/West End area, and it has plenty of parking underneath as well.
Yeah its a good venue, great seats.

Hopefully a few years not being in the comp will deliver some hype about their return.

We have a big game on Thursday.

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 6031614895

Great news for the Kings (and the NBL)!

If they're doing this well with crowds with the team at the bottom of the ladder, imagine how they'll go once they starts to win regularly...

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

Adelaide_United_Red wrote:Is the upgraded Margaret Court Arena going to be fully enclosed or partially open? to allow for air flow in the height of Summer. I think BA/NBL regs state that arenas must be air-conned(rthink I read it on this site somewhere)
It will have an opening roof like RLA.