Cronulla Death Watch

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
Rob
Gold

Re: Cronulla Death Watch

Post by Rob »

beastjim wrote:
bazza wrote:
Adelaide_United_Red wrote:I'm particularly interested in the reason "4. The entry prices are higher than for better grounds"I know the AFL regulates the cost of entry to all games..does the NRL not do this?
As far as I know NRL teams are free to charge what they like for tickets.
Last time I checked, AFL teams are free to charge what they want, however the AFL takes a certain amount per person who enters, like $15-20 or something.
Nah, that's not the case anymore either. Many years ago a share of the gate used to go into an equalisation fund, but now the home club takes all the gate. I've heard talk of a small charge of a couple of bucks going back into some sort of fund (and I think that's the case at the MCG), but AFAIK they haven't brought it in around the league.

The AFL does set a general admission charge, but that's really only the case at the MCG and Etihad, and even in the latter's case Essendon don't have GA for their home games there anyway, the whole ground is reserved seats (which is much like grounds outside of Melbourne).

And AUR, you'll find that tickets to watch the EPL aren't as expensive as they once were (mainly due to the decline in their currency against ours). For instance, Man Utd charge between $40 and $75 for an adult for a league match, which doesn't compare that badly to a ticket at Subiaco, which will put you out between $40 for a budget seat, and $57 for a premium. And that's 2010 prices, so up that by a couple of bucks for 2011.

bazza
Silver

Post by bazza »

Cheesie-the-Pirate wrote:
bazza wrote:
Adelaide_United_Red wrote:4. The entry prices are higher than for better grounds
Not sure this is really true, Sharks tickets are definitely cheaper than Dragons tickets for starters.

It's difficult to compare though because NRL teams have such different ticket pricing structures, even in a group of clubs that theoretically you'd expect to be fair similar.

Some are rediculously complex.

I really don't see the need for 6, 7 or 8 different ticket levels. Saints has been very good for a few years now.

Category 1 - Sideline seating, undercover (45)
Category 2 - Sideline seating, not undercover OR behind-the-goals seating, undercover (35)
Category 3 - Behind-the-goals seating, not undercover (25)
Category 4 - Hill (22)

I notice the Bunnies only have two price categories this year.
Yeah - just had a look - seems to be a bit cheaper now
My memory from a few years ago was that they were high compared to a lot of other clubs - for general admission at Shark Park you got a pretty crap view - but at somewhere like the SFS you could get a pretty good seat for general admission

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Simmo79 wrote:Now we're into the nit-picking phase. Those questions aren't important. The more important discussion is about how badly a run club Cronulla has been for so long, especially compared to a club in a similar enough geospatial predicament.
That's what I said! Though not as well.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

I was at Cronulla yesterday. These signs are everywhere.

http://yfrog.com/hsxgrexj

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

Ripe for development!!!

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

One "flood" cost the Bears. It may cost the Sharks.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

We've got two today!

http://www.sharks.com.au/default.aspx?s ... or-parking

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sp ... 6026356612

I think O'Farrell will side with the Sharks if it got to that.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Tradies merger is rejected

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... 1c8l8.html

The Tradies board didn't even want to take the proposal to the members.

I linked to the SMH article above but the Daily Telegraph report reads worse. Joe Hilderbrand says in is that the Sharks might be broke in three years without the merger.

bazza
Silver

Post by bazza »

beat me to it
''Tradies were our preferred partner, partly because they were in the area at Gymea,'' he said. ''But there has been interest from some much bigger clubs in other areas, so we'll now be pursuing those further.''
wonder who else they could talk to. Central Coast Leagues Club?

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

bazza wrote:beat me to it
''Tradies were our preferred partner, partly because they were in the area at Gymea,'' he said. ''But there has been interest from some much bigger clubs in other areas, so we'll now be pursuing those further.''
wonder who else they could talk to. Central Coast Leagues Club?
Is there a leagues club in Perth?

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

If there was it'd have no pokies and shut at 5pm!

It's not unusual to have mergers a big distance away. North Sydney Leagues took over Tweed Heads Seagulls. Penrith Panthers have clubs from Albury to Port Macquarie. Cronulla need to find a club that has big reserves of cash. Preferrably, that club would have a lot of members that would be near the Shire or visit the Shire. Canterbury Leagues fits the bill perfectly. :lol:

Short term, they do what South Sydney did at Redfer and scale down the operation of the club. No need to operate bars on multiple levels at all hours of the day. Save it for weekends and match days. Long term, who knows?

Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

Post by Cheesie-the-Pirate »

Well that's pretty damn close to death knell.

Telegraph article indicates that the due diligence process got 'em. Which is hardly surprising. If a succesful club like Tradies with a due diligence report from KPMG is going to say no, what licenced club in the world would look at that result and say "nah, we'll be sweet, come burden us for a few years".

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Found the Daily Telegraph article.

Click on the link for a graphic of the letter sent by Tradies to the Sharks.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/s ... 6027693001
Joe Hilderbrand of the Daily Telegraph wrote:THE embattled Cronulla Sharks have been dealt a smashing blow after a plan to merge their struggling leagues club was killed off at the 11th hour.
The Daily Telegraph has learned that a plan to save the debt-ridden Cronulla Leagues Club by amalgamating it with the flush Sutherland District Trade Union Club has been unanimously voted down by the Tradies Board.

The highly respected Sutherland club was the only one to genuinely consider an amalgamation and a club industry insider predicted the move would spell the death of the Sharks within three years.

Tradies CEO Tim McAleer said his club had done everything it could to try to save the Sharks but after advice from top accounting firm KPMG, and concerns about its $300 million development proposal, it could not go ahead with the white knight move.

"We have scrutinised the opportunity from every angle with a view to saving the Shire's rugby league team," he said late last night following the board meeting.

"Unfortunately, the significant drain on our resources that would have been required to address the issues at Cronulla Sharks may well have placed our own development at risk.

"Quite simply, that is a risk we just weren't prepared to take."

Tradies are also planning their own far more modest $15 million redevelopment, which may have been put under threat if the merger went ahead.

The club said it needed to put the interests of its 32,000 members first, as well as community groups such as Lifeline, the Salvation Army and Meals on Wheels, who rely on more than $500,000 a year from the club.

The move is expected to come as a shock to Sharkies, which as late as last night was preparing to announce the opposite.

The merger was seen as vital to ensure the security of the Sharks football club, which has been starved of cash from the leagues club - which is now $12 million in debt to St George Bank.

"Their rejection will almost certainly kill off any interest other clubs may have had in playing the white knight role to Cronulla," the insider said.

"It's very hard to see the Sharks surviving either as a registered club or a football club beyond the next three years with the level of debt they have."

Both now face an uncertain future, with a $300 million development at Toyota Stadium facing a potential challenge by Sutherland Shire Council and the new O'Farrell Government having vowed to give planning powers back to local councils.

It was reported this week that Reverend George Capsis, the club's former chaplain, had raised concerns over the planned shopping precinct and residential complex, which has been touted as key to the club's long-term future.

Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

Post by Cheesie-the-Pirate »

I wonder how the redevelopment agreement deals with one of the parties going into voluntary administration?

bazza
Silver

Post by bazza »

Maybe the site can be developed into a good community sports centre with an above average canteen