SANFL 2010

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Re: SANFL 2010

Post by Adelaide_United_Red »

Egan wrote:^ should do mate, local footy is fantastic.
I agree, I think I mentioned in one of my 'rants' in another thread, that if I ever get the urge to watch Aussie Rules Footy, the AFL just don't scratch that itch, I gotta get out and watch my Redlegs to beat that craving! I still remember having my Dad teach me the words to Its a Grand Old Flag as a kid, I swear he must have sung it softly to send me to sleep as a baby...it still brings a grin to my face just to hear that song! whenever I was at an AFL game involving Melbourne, I'd mentally add the 'Norwood' bits , Oh the team played fine in the year 29, the Redlegs that noone could lick, lick, lick! etc:) I remember hating Sturt as a schoolkid [not only because my schoolsports-master(hated that guy) played in the magoos for them], but using "kid-logic", they'd stolen 'our' song:(

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Adelaide_United_Red wrote:
Egan wrote:^ should do mate, local footy is fantastic.
I agree, I think I mentioned in one of my 'rants' in another thread, that if I ever get the urge to watch Aussie Rules Footy, the AFL just don't scratch that itch, I gotta get out and watch my Redlegs to beat that craving! I still remember having my Dad teach me the words to Its a Grand Old Flag as a kid, I swear he must have sung it softly to send me to sleep as a baby...it still brings a grin to my face just to hear that song! whenever I was at an AFL game involving Melbourne, I'd mentally add the 'Norwood' bits , Oh the team played fine in the year 29, the Redlegs that noone could lick, lick, lick! etc:) I remember hating Sturt as a schoolkid [not only because my schoolsports-master(hated that guy) played in the magoos for them], but using "kid-logic", they'd stolen 'our' song:(
I remember hating Sturt and Norwood as a kid.

But one of my better sporting memories was after a Norwood win over the old foe at the Parade. The gates to the parade hadn't opened yet, and a few hundred Norwood fans were jammed up under the grand stand. So what better way to pass the time than to belt out the club song? I remember being in amongst the squeeze, eardrums being burst out by some of the most die hard aussie rules fans you'll ever see, thinking to myself that it had been over a decade since a truly elite footballer had played for the club, and Norwood had got its first win for a season already down the tubes, but here was the heart and soul of the football club belting out the song like nothing else mattered.

And I also hoped the gate would open soon because I needed to heave in a gutter.

Soaks
Bronze

Post by Soaks »

Two clubs in the SANFL have the same song? Couldn't Sturt be bothered thinking up there own song?Does it get heated at these Anthem Derbies?.

Being a West Perth supporter I also have fond memories of that song.Still think it's the best team song in football.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Quite interesting that because of the draw at the MCG the SANFL grand final on Sunday 3/9 will now have 2 curtain raisers.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

What happens if there is another draw?

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

Answered in another thread, but then they go into extra time 2 periods 5 minutes each way, and repeat until we have a winner at the end of one of them.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Central V Norwood it is.

U REDS
Silver

Post by U REDS »

SUNDAY
Preliminary Final
Norwood 8.8 (56)
Woodville-West Torrens 7.9 (51)
8,342 @ AAMI Stadium

Grand Final line-up
U-18 MACCA'S CUP -- West Adelaide vs. Glenelg @ 9:10am
RESERVES -- Port Adelaide vs. Sturt @ 12:10pm
LEAGUE -- Central District vs. Norwood @ 3:10pm

Grand Final days have always been two or three games long.

BTW the Charles Dickens Tavern in Melbourne will be showing the match.

Amaru
Bronze

Post by Amaru »

Hope Norwood win. Central Districts is a sh*t club which has only known success since Port left it.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

U REDS wrote:SUNDAY
Preliminary Final
Norwood 8.8 (56)
Woodville-West Torrens 7.9 (51)
8,342 @ AAMI Stadium

Grand Final line-up
U-18 MACCA'S CUP -- West Adelaide vs. Glenelg @ 9:10am
RESERVES -- Port Adelaide vs. Sturt @ 12:10pm
LEAGUE -- Central District vs. Norwood @ 3:10pm

Grand Final days have always been two or three games long.

BTW the Charles Dickens Tavern in Melbourne will be showing the match.
AFL GF impacting the Prelim Final crowd?

U REDS
Silver

Post by U REDS »

Amaru wrote:Central Districts is a sh*t club which has only known success since Port left it.
Bollocks.

Port Magpies had success for three years following the entry of the Power. Then they went to hell and nothing was going to stop that from happening.

Just because the Pies and no-one else has been able to keep up with the Dogs nowadays, people bitch about it year after year and it comes down to the fact that people were used to them being sh*t, but aren't anymore and everyone hates it.

It wasn't boring when Norwood and Port were dominating, but now that's all changed and everyone gets the sh*ts... diddums. :lol:

Amaru
Bronze

Post by Amaru »

Not an avid follower of the SANFL, but to me, it seems like the SANFL is a shadow of its former self. The PAFC dominated it a time when the SANFL was a half decent comp, when the top teams from SA could give some of the Vic teams a run for their money. It joined the AFL and was replaced by the PAMFC, from what I've read, a completely different club, albeit they are black and white and are called Port Adelaide. But the Port Adelaide which has existed for over a hundred years is now in the AFL.

So now Centrals is a dominant club in a half baked comp. You would have to ask yourself this, if Port Adelaide never joined the AFL, and were allowed to keep its resources, its fans, its base, for god sakes even its soul, would Centrals have dominated like it has done in the past 10 years?

I hate Port as much as the next person, but let's be brutally honest, as far as SA football is concerned, there is only one club, Port Adelaide. Sure, Centrals may be on top now, but in the grand scheme of things it has been on top for 5 minutes. Port's dominance was so strong for so long, it was rewarded with an AFL licence, Centrals on the other hand, stuck in that sh*t hole elizabeth for life and playing grand finals in front of 20,000 people. Maybe now Norwood is in the gf, you might get a decent crowd.

And don't give me some bullshit response that you can only win what you compete in, because when the SANFL mattered to Port, Centrals was Port's little bitch. 

You want to know what the worst thing that could happen to Centrals would be? Let me tell you, Port screw up in the AFL and then go back to being an SANFL club only. Back would come the resources, the tradition, the fans and suddenly Centrals in comparison would look like a zit on Port's ass.

Suck it up stupid I'm only telling it how it is. 

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

:lol:

Some good points raised.

U REDS
Silver

Post by U REDS »

Amaru wrote:Not an avid follower of the SANFL, but to me, it seems like the SANFL is a shadow of its former self. The PAFC dominated it a time when the SANFL was a half decent comp, when the top teams from SA could give some of the Vic teams a run for their money. It joined the AFL and was replaced by the PAMFC, from what I've read, a completely different club, albeit they are black and white and are called Port Adelaide. But the Port Adelaide which has existed for over a hundred years is now in the AFL.
So now Centrals is a dominant club in a half baked comp. You would have to ask yourself this, if Port Adelaide never joined the AFL, and were allowed to keep its resources, its fans, its base, for god sakes even its soul, would Centrals have dominated like it has done in the past 10 years?
I hate Port as much as the next person, but let's be brutally honest, as far as SA football is concerned, there is only one club, Port Adelaide. Sure, Centrals may be on top now, but in the grand scheme of things it has been on top for 5 minutes. Port's dominance was so strong for so long, it was rewarded with an AFL licence, Centrals on the other hand, stuck in that sh*t hole elizabeth for life and playing grand finals in front of 20,000 people. Maybe now Norwood is in the gf, you might get a decent crowd.
And don't give me some bullshit response that you can only win what you compete in, because when the SANFL mattered to Port, Centrals was Port's little bitch.
You want to know what the worst thing that could happen to Centrals would be? Let me tell you, Port screw up in the AFL and then go back to being an SANFL club only. Back would come the resources, the tradition, the fans and suddenly Centrals in comparison would look like a zit on Port's ass.

Suck it up stupid I'm only telling it how it is.

Don't think for a minute that I don't believe that Port would have been more competitive had they stayed in the SANFL because that would make me ignorant.

The success may have not been a decade long, but we still would have had some good years. And Grand finals in front of 20000? More like 28,000 to 35,000. Get some facts right.

Half-baked comp? The state of football in the traditional states is the AFL's doing. We do the best with what we have and there's a damn good job being done at West Lakes, which is more than what anyone can say for what goes on in Victoria. At least people here still appreciate state league football.

HoldenV8
Silver

Post by HoldenV8 »

Well said U Reds. Well said.

Oh, and go the Legs on Sunday.....not that I care, its not West Adelaide.