VB Series 2003/04

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
james_
Silver

VB Series 2003/04

Post by james_ »

Well, the VB Series got underway today and I see that the finals will be played in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane. What I don't understand is why the Gabba got the nod to host the third final. :? Sure, it's no certainty that the third final will be required, but with the continuing success of the Indian side (and therefore the higher likelihood of a series going to a deciding third final), it's an interesting decision nonetheless.

I guess Cricket Australia had to guarantee Melbourne and Sydney a final each, but it surprises me that one of these two cities wasn't chosen to host the third final if its required. The MCG's current capacity is approximately 70,000 and we saw from the Test this week that the SCG can hold about 45,000. The Gabba's capacity is 37,600.

I'm not complaining, mind you. It's great to see Brisbane get the opportunity to host such an event. :D

The only dark cloud for Brisbanites could be the disclaimer that follows the VB Series schedule published on CA's website: "Cricket Australia reserves the right in its absolute discretion to change or amend the official program without notice"

VB Series 2003/04

January 2004

Fri 9 (D/N) Australia v India Melbourne Cricket Ground
Sun 11 (D/N) Australia v Zimbabwe Sydney Cricket Ground
Wed 14 India v Zimbabwe Bellerive Oval, Hobart
Fri 16 Australia v Zimbabwe Bellerive Oval, Hobart
Sun 18 (D/N) Australia v India Brisbane Cricket Ground
Tue 20 (D/N) India v Zimbabwe Brisbane Cricket Ground
Thu 22 (D/N) Australia v India Sydney Cricket Ground
Sat 24 (D/N) India v Zimbabwe Adelaide Oval
Mon 26 (D/N) Australia v Zimbabwe Adelaide Oval
Thu 29 (D/N) Australia v Zimbabwe Melbourne Cricket Ground

February 2004

Sun 1 Australia v India W.A.C.A. Ground, Perth
Tue 3 (D/N) India v Zimbabwe W.A.C.A. Ground, Perth
Fri 6 (D/N) First Final Melbourne Cricket Ground
Sun 8 (D/N) Second Final Sydney Cricket Ground
Tue 10 (D/N) Third Final (if required) Brisbane Cricket Ground

Hiraldo
Silver

Post by Hiraldo »

Why should the third final be played in Sydney/Melbourne though? It usually only gets average crowds due to the uncertainty, so it's not like a higher capacity stadium is needed. It's a good decision IMO. Hoping to go if a third final is needed.

james_
Silver

Post by james_ »

Admittedly, I don't know the history (i.e. past crowd attendances at third finals), but just thought that being effectively a grand final it would attract large gate. So the greater the capacity of the venue the greater amount of cash in the bank for Cricket Australia! A bit cynical, perhaps?

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Last edited by yob on Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

Well, game 1 played and won. 63,000 fans and an electric atmosphere as usual. Apparantly the capacity is about 70,000 at the moment. Absolute crap! I was at the game, and tt was packed. And once again, melbourne didn't get live coverage. Then it's sydney's turn - 40,000 fans and suprise suprise, live coverage. :x

Yeah I think the SCG is a great ground. But how bloody annoying are the channel 9 commentators! They never shut up about it. "it's a great ground", "a mixture of the new and the old", "the perfect size", "not too big, not too small".

james_
Silver

Post by james_ »

TOPPED UP: Beer wench Sarah at work serving beers to cricket patrons for the last time; she and her colleagues have been banned

Gabba ban on beer wenches
MARK ALEXANDER
The Sunday Mail
11 January 2004

BEER wenches paid to serve beer to thirsty cricket punters have been hit for six out of the Gabba.

Fans desperate to avoid lengthy queues for beer so they can concentrate on the on-field action pay up to $60 an hour for the scantily-clad women to be at their beck and call.

But when Australia plays India in a one-day match at the Gabba next Sunday, the women will no longer be able to ply their trade in the stands.

Police, Queensland Cricket and Gabba management have decided to outlaw the practice, which has become a feature of cricket matches Australia-wide since the first beer wench made her appearance at the Gabba in 1998.

The officials say it is no longer acceptable behaviour.

The ban follows crackdowns on beer wenches at cricket matches in Sydney and Melbourne this summer.

"Beer wench activity will not be permitted at the Gabba," a police spokeswoman said.

"It's behaviour not deemed appropriate under general standards."

Police will use powers provided under the Liquor Licensing Act to ask beer wenches to stop or be evicted from the ground.

Under licensing laws, it is illegal to supply alcohol to intoxicated or disorderly people and anyone caught doing so faces fines of up to $6000. It is also an offence to operate a business within the grounds of the Gabba.

The Gabba's venue manager Chris Cochrane said he was concerned the use of beer wenches led to binge drinking and drunkenness.

"Cricket is a family event and banning beer wenches is part of our responsibility to patron care," he said.

Queensland Cricket chief executive Graham Dixon also supported the ban.

"We think it's best for the greater majority of the crowd," he said.

But Joanne Smith of Brisbane stripper agency Pin-Up Promotions, which hires out beer wenches for $200 a day, denied the women encouraged excessive drinking.

She described the ban as "rubbish".

"The girls are just there to look sexy for the guys and wouldn't make them drink any more," she said. "They sit with the guys and watch the cricket and have a lot of fun."

:cry:

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Last edited by yob on Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Cam

I know the sell out policy sucks but that's the rules. Why bag Sydney for having a smaller stadium. Besides, you were at the game. Why does it bother you?

Regarding beer wenches I can see why they are unpopular with officialdom. They can promote irresponsible drinking. But if they were RSA qualified I would see no problem with that.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

The lady pictured was at the SCG when I went on the 1st and 3rd days. She caused an absolute stir, I think it should be outlawed its not really fair on the regular watchers who cant afford to pay the $60 an hour to get a lady to buy the drinks for her. it just shows that sport is becoming more eletist.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Hardly elitist. Most people that get beeer wenches sit on the Hill (the cheap seats). And they are usually paid for by a group of people, not an individual.

I think the greater issue isn't elitism (we'd ban members and corporate hospitality if it was). It is about Responsible Service of Alcohol. The wenches would've slipped under the radar if they hadn't served the guys when they were shitfaced.

james_
Silver

Game 5: AUS v IND

Post by james_ »

A great result for the Indian team tonight; not such a great result for the Aussies.

Perfect conditions in Brisbane for a match that saw almost 600 runs scored. Makes up for the rain interruptions during the Test match.

Pity only 35,052 turned up to what was supposedly a sell out. I can only speculate that this has something to do with the Lions' members.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Great game tonight. Do we blame Bevan? Maybe. I'm not taking anything away from India but his poking and prodding method has been analysed and is desparately out of vogue.

I have a ticket to the SCG Final (I wonder who will play :D ). I am excited after seeing yesterday's spectacle.

Hiraldo
Silver

Post by Hiraldo »

Jeffles wrote:Great game tonight. Do we blame Bevan? Maybe. I'm not taking anything away from India but his poking and prodding method has been analysed and is desparately out of vogue.
Personally, I don't know why Hayden seemed to decide to really start going for it when we only needed a run per ball with something like 17 overs left. There was no need. Should've kept going at around 5 an over until we had around 50 balls left IMO.

And Beven should be batting at 6 with Clarke at 7.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Last edited by yob on Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Good point yob. To be honest there was some general underprformances. I thought Clarke really gave away his wicket. Bad ball but really poorly struck.

My thing about Bevan was that in his situation he performed badly. Granted that the poor performances of other team members put him in that position but the fact was the game was winnable. Bevan just kept on looking for gaps. Rarely did he push for the boundary (which was needed). With current one day rules you can bowl a bouncer per over. With Bevan facing you effectively have a 5 ball over since he doesn't go the hook. He needed to show more aggression. Also, I think a lot of the bowlers have figured him out now. I have always been a fan of his but I think he is in danger of becoming a liability.