Australian Soccer, what is going on?

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
Le Grand Danois
Bronze

Australian Soccer, what is going on?

Post by Le Grand Danois »

So there's a new league coming and I was wondering about a few thing.

Will the new league be bigger or smaller than the NSL?

Which teams will be kicked out and which will be "kicked in"?

Why not try and expand the league into the new areas, like Tasmania or The Gold Coast?

With the NSL failling, why will the new league succeed?

Woundn't a professional league have a better chance of succeeding, if it was made up with regular soccer clubs maybe with a first and second division. Instead of a league with professional soccer franchises, trying to compete with bigger sports, like Rugby or Aussie Football?

I hope you can help me ansewer these questions.

Hiraldo
Silver

Re: Australian Soccer, what is going on?

Post by Hiraldo »

Le Grand Danois wrote:Will the new league be bigger or smaller than the NSL?
In what terms?
Le Grand Danois wrote:Which teams will be kicked out and which will be "kicked in"?
That will be known in June. However, at this stage, Melbourne Knights have already pulled out, and it looks to be the same for basically all the Sydney clubs unless they decide to join with a new consortium interested in the APL or find a lot of cash quickly. Perth Glory and Adelaide United look almost certain to make it.
Le Grand Danois wrote:Why not try and expand the league into the new areas, like Tasmania or The Gold Coast?
Only if there are viable bids coming from those particular areas. If not, then it is pointless starting up teams in 'new' areas for the sake of it.
Le Grand Danois wrote:With the NSL failling, why will the new league succeed?
The NSL has failed due to poor administration, and a lack of independency. Obviously a competent and independent administration running the game/league would signal a better future, but there is A LOT of work to be done, and it really has to be done right the first time if the new league is to succeed after so many years of failure and look like it's going somewhere. A lot hangs in the balance, and I guess we'll just have to wait for new developments to come to get a good idea of the league's chance of success.
Le Grand Danois wrote:Woundn't a professional league have a better chance of succeeding, if it was made up with regular soccer clubs maybe with a first and second division. Instead of a league with professional soccer franchises, trying to compete with bigger sports, like Rugby or Aussie Football?
Fair question. Don't know whether the league is trying to compete with the 'bigger' sports, or even needs to, though. There are many people that follow soccer now, as opposed to ten or twenty years ago when the league was trying to grow. What should be done is building a viable, attractive league for people involved or interested in the game to follow, instead of simply following teams on the other side of the world on TV in the middle of the night.

Le Grand Danois
Bronze

Post by Le Grand Danois »

Hiraldo wrote:In what terms?
More or fewer teams?
Hiraldo wrote:Fair question. Don't know whether the league is trying to compete with the 'bigger' sports, or even needs to, though. There are many people that follow soccer now, as opposed to ten or twenty years ago when the league was trying to grow. What should be done is building a viable, attractive league for people involved or interested in the game to follow, instead of simply following teams on the other side of the world on TV in the middle of the night.
Seems to me that if the league is going to be a succes, then it needs to win over a lot of people fast. The kind of people that don't fellow a particular sport, and in that aspect soccer needs to compete Rugby and Footie. A other possiblelity is to work together with the "bigger" sports. When you buy a ticket for a rugby game, then you could get your soccer ticket at half price. That kind cooperation has been tried here in Denmark with some succes.

I don't think soccer will grow very much, unless Australia qualify for the World Cup. And we all know that Australia has a Sepp Blatter problem(no pun intended).

james_
Silver

Post by james_ »

LGD, you might find some answers to your questions in the topic on the Lowy report.

Hiraldo
Silver

Post by Hiraldo »

Le Grand Danois wrote:
Hiraldo wrote:In what terms?
More or fewer teams?
10 minimum, more if there are more than 10 viable bids. There will however only be an even number of teams (10, 12, 14, etc) to avoid the bye.
Le Grand Danois wrote:Seems to me that if the league is going to be a succes, then it needs to win over a lot of people fast. The kind of people that don't fellow a particular sport, and in that aspect soccer needs to compete Rugby and Footie.
Perhaps. But as I said, if the new league can attract even just a small percentage of the 1.2 million people who either play or are 'interested' in soccer in Australia, then it will easily achieve target crowds. That said, people who don't already follow soccer should not be ignored. No market should be discounted.
Le Grand Danois wrote:A other possiblelity is to work together with the "bigger" sports. When you buy a ticket for a rugby game, then you could get your soccer ticket at half price. That kind cooperation has been tried here in Denmark with some succes.
It's a suggestion that should be looked at I suppose. Better than the efforts to advertise the sport here ATM (which is more or less nothing).
Le Grand Danois wrote:I don't think soccer will grow very much, unless Australia qualify for the World Cup. And we all know that Australia has a Sepp Blatter problem(no pun intended).
Very much so.

the guy
Silver

Post by the guy »

10 minimum, more if there are more than 10 viable bids. There will however only be an even number of teams (10, 12, 14, etc) to avoid the bye.
You mean 8 minimum, if the ASA gets 10 strong bids they will accept them but the plan is to have
1 each in Perth, Adelaide and Brisbane
2 in Melbourne
3 in Sydney

People are talking about a team from New Zealand, but their is an NZ team in the NSL and they are one of the worst crowd drawers in the league, the APL should move away from markets like this. And also, why should we allow them into our league, they wouldnt allow an Australian team into their Rugby union provincial league, so stuff em.

As i have said before, in order for the league to succeed it needs to be of good quality, having our best players (and international players) into 8 teams will ensure this, Then once the large crowds start rolling in at every match, then it should expand, by then we should be able to keep our youngsters here and draw players from other countries.

guy41
Bronze

what i think

Post by guy41 »

Here's what I'm hoping

Perth Glory @ Members Equity
Adelaide United @ Hindmarsh Stadium
-----------
Brisbane @ Ballymore or a reduced capacity ANZ
Sydney (city) @ Aussie Stadium
Sydney (Southern) @ Toyota Park/Win stadium
Sydney (western) @ Parramatta Stadium
Canberra @ Canberra Stadium
Melbourne @ Olympic Park
Melbourne @ an upgraded venue, like Epping
Newcastle @ EnergyAustralia Stadium

peterss
Bronze

Post by peterss »

why the hell a team form canberra???

guy41
Bronze

fgdfgdf

Post by guy41 »

theyre the best, cosmos never lost a game. never. they were only kicked out due to superiority, and the NSL is not allowed to look good at any standard.

Or not..