NRL 2009

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
keithroosters
Bronze

Post by keithroosters »

the idea of 2 teams being admitted in 2013 is a widely belived idea ever since greg florimo of the central coast bears indicated after a meeting with David Gallop.
central coast look to have sured one up. in all likeliness the NRL will stay conservative and not even try to venture out of NSW and QLD, picking central coast and probably sth east qld. i really hope this doesnt happen.
ive said for a while that i would love to see the soutehern orcas (wellington) get the nod but they dont have their sh*t together atm i dont think. theyve been very quite. caketin officials have said due to their current scedule they would be unable to host a full season of NRL. this gives the "southern orcas" the perfect opportunty to take games to newly renovated Dunedin and Christchurch. i think the warriors should take games here anyway as they are the "New Zealand Warriors" after all but thats another matter.

ive heard a million reasons why PNG cant and wont have a team. i even had a bit of a bet with steve mascoud over it. i would love to see it but i agree they have overcome a lot more than any other bid. for anyone interested Fiji came out in support of the PNG bid today:
http://www.thenational.com.pg/?q=node/2168
the main thing to come out of this is the realisation that this isnt just a PNG team but a pacific island team with players from all islands vying for spots.

Perth is perfect for a team. they have decent ppl running the bid, a team in jim beam cup, a decent population and what will be a great stadium on par with perhaps skilled park. this is the most low risk out-of-heartland bid.

TBH im not a fan of central queensland. the NRL will be selling itself short if they put another queensland team at the expense of perth or whoever can manage a viable bid.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

It would be a waste for PNG - such a poor country by many indicators - to plough resources into an NRL team that would be largely dependent on a massive public subsidy.

I think Central Qld is too small a base to put a team. CC, SE Qld, Wellington, CHCH, Adelaide and Perth would be the places to go to. Of those, I'd say Perth, a 2nd NZ side and SE Qld would add the mopst value but many people are keen on CC out of a sense of restorative justice.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

It would be a waste for PNG - such a poor country by many indicators - to plough resources into an NRL team that would be largely dependent on a massive public subsidy.
They are a poor country, but the Port Moresby economy is going quite well. Quite a bit of construction both in the city centre and the Civil District.

I can't see them getting a team unless a massive multinational corporation like Exxon Mobil decides to fund the team.
Of those, I'd say Perth, a 2nd NZ side and SE Qld would add the mopst value but many people are keen on CC out of a sense of restorative justice.
Comes down to potential crowds and corporate support.

If the Reds can get the likes of Woodside, BHP, Miss Mauds, Chicken Treat to become a major sponsor than they will do well. The benefits for them is the Major Sponsor being Members Equity, who do want to see more NRL action out of the ground. Also the 15,000+ last year
ive said for a while that i would love to see the soutehern orcas (wellington) get the nod but they dont have their sh*t together atm i dont think. theyve been very quite. caketin officials have said due to their current scedule they would be unable to host a full season of NRL
It would be more to do with the reduction of sporting attendance in Wellington for Rugby Union that the Orcas would be cautious of adding a team. I would also make sure any League team based out of Wellington, is called Wellington. Whats the difference in player participation in League between Wellington and Christchurch?

But you are right the NRL could play games in Dunedin, Christchurch or they could even share the team with Palmerston North, 200km to the north.

You also have to think of sports overload in Wellington if they did get an NRL team.

Would the Queensland Government have to build a third rectangular stadium or would they simply use Suncorp? I don't see the QLD Government commiting more money to stadia. Unless the other NRL side based their team around the area around Ballymore.

Central Coast may have Singleton's influence to get a team, still has fairly good crowds. The only risk is corporate dollar for the team in an already glutted NRL market in Sydney. Would delivering another team to NSW actually be wise at the moment?

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

The bidding war for the NRL Grand Final i s starting already. Rees has taken the gloves off. I like his description of Melbourne as a "provincial town".

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sp ... -hm7s.html

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

Does anybody seriously see the NRL grand Final heading to Melbourne?

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

beastjim wrote:Does anybody seriously see the NRL grand Final heading to Melbourne?
Never... well maybe when Melbourne has 4 NRL teams.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Egan wrote:If the Reds can get the likes of Woodside, BHP, Miss Mauds, Chicken Treat to become a major sponsor than they will do well.
:lol:

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

Maserati, Ferrari, Trabant, Matchbox

Christiano Ronaldo, Kaka, El Hadji Diouf, Matthew Kemp

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

I can only think of one ASX20 company that sponsors a top flight football club in this country. Westpac/St George.

Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

Post by Cheesie-the-Pirate »

yob wrote:I can only think of one ASX20 company that sponsors a top flight football club in this country. Westpac/St George.
As much as I'd like to claim this, there are others. Three off the top of my head:

NAB - Souths
Rio Tinto - Newcastle Knights

and.....

QBE - Perth Glory

keithroosters
Bronze

Post by keithroosters »

there are pros and cons to PNG having a team. i can definately see how scarse funds put towards an NRL venture would be considered a complete waste when they could be spent tackling things like the AIDS epidemic that is bucking world trends and actually rising. education could be improved also. PNG is a third world country with absolutely terrible inferstructure and a shocking health system.

on a sporting front rather than poor millions of dollars into an NRL venture those funds could be spent improving the standard of the SP brewery cup. outside the NRL and superleague (which occupy Wales, england, france, australia and NZ obviously) theres only two viable competition atm. these are LER in France and SP brewery cup in PNG (USA has a lot of potential) An NRL team in PNG would decimate the SP brewery cup just as the inclusion of the warriors to the NRL decimated the Bartercard cup.

however, in saying all of this PNG has multinaitonal corperations that have said in the past they would consider backing a team. an NRL team would enable the local population to see their role models in action on a fortnightly basis. it would be a massive thing for them to have that would unite the whole country behind one team. thats 6 million people following an NRL team. it would bring genuine joy to so many people. a big thing would be tourism. maybe im just an avid fan but i would definately travel to PNG to see my team play and im sure many other NRL fans would too. this would bring untold amounts to the local economy and give the government something else besides the Kokoda track to market their tourism around.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Cheesie-the-Pirate wrote:
yob wrote:I can only think of one ASX20 company that sponsors a top flight football club in this country. Westpac/St George.
As much as I'd like to claim this, there are others. Three off the top of my head:

NAB - Souths
Rio Tinto - Newcastle Knights

and.....

QBE - Perth Glory
Right you are.

My NRL knowledge is light but I should've seen PG/QBE. I guess I had Members Equity in my head at the time.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

QBE are also the Sydney Swans major sponsor.

keithroosters
Bronze

Post by keithroosters »

no one seems to have mentioned this so perhaps im missing something but has ever been a better club/coach fit than stephen kearney and the NZ warriors.....

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

keithroosters wrote:no one seems to have mentioned this so perhaps im missing something but has ever been a better club/coach fit than stephen kearney and the NZ warriors.....
That's an odd statement to make. How and why do they fit?

What about Canterbury's line of coaches being one club players?

The best fit is the one that delivers the best results.