Australian Rules Football in Queensland

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
beastjim
Gold

Australian Rules Football in Queensland

Post by beastjim »

Well there really isn't a thread that appears to cover this subject and I have normally just stuck news in random locations.

However the lastest news coming out of Queensland is that the Northern Territory who have tried to be accepted into the SANFL and the WAFL are now going to be accepted into the AFLQ State League (called the Velocity Sports cup). To balance this off Western Magpies are going to be promoted back into the top division as well. I think the belief at first was that the Gold Coast would play in the AFLQ State league but now that has changed to the TAC U18 Cup in 2009, then the VFL in 2010 and finally the AFL in 2011.

However all of that said it seems to be the same problem with propping up with this Northern Territory team in that there really isn't enough money going around for it. The NT and Feds are going to contribute about $500,000 but they estimate they need $1.5 million to actually compete. And to be honest if you took the best of the NT comps then im pretty certain they would smack each AFLQ State League team week in week out.
There is an article (http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/200 ... sport.html) on what they are facing it seems.
IMHO I would actually like to see Queensland get a Cairns team into the comp first to actually start representing Queensland instead of just the South East Corner.

If any of you are interested, AFLQ is actually shown online as there wasn't enough sponsors around to get the game on Briz 31( how I don't know when you see what is normally on, but I shan't worry about that). Head to http://maxcast.com/aflqtube and check it out. The Qld V WA game is on there, while the most recent game posted, played between the Suncoast Lions v Zillmere Eagles game is apparently the best game of the year so far. Any of the "Roos V Someone" games are from State League Division 2.

PS: Sorry to any of those expecting crowd figures or the like, I have my doubts if they are done or if they are done if they are accurate.

Cheers James
Last edited by beastjim on Thu May 19, 2011 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anthony
Bronze

Post by anthony »

Thanx for all that - interesting. Isn't the NT footy season the reverse time?

redback_original
Silver

Post by redback_original »

I'll never forget when Southport wanted to play in the SANFL..

the biggest financial hurdle was airfares..

not so much for the sharks (who would have to travel every 2 weeks)

but the SANFL clubs (who would have to travel once a season)..

Watching elite sport like the AFL, NRL and rugby.. it's hard to think of this being an issue...

but it obviously is for these 2nd tier comps..

paul
Bronze

Post by paul »

redback_original wrote:but it obviously is for these 2nd tier comps..
It's not as big an issue as you might think.

Perth (the WA Reds) play in the Jim Beam Cup which is a third tier comp. Auckland play in the NSW Cup and Cairns play in the QLD Cup which are both second tier comps. Townsville are the northernmost team in the QLD state league (soccer).

The only ones I can remember failing due to airfares were Pt Moresby in the QLD Cup and Townsville in the gridiron state comp.

anthony
Bronze

Post by anthony »

I have just seen the AFL's draft concessions for the new GC team. Priority access to 20 Qld teens over next 3 years. Contracts up to $75,000 - not bad for teenage footballers!

Hawksfaithful
Bronze

Post by Hawksfaithful »

I'm sure the Lions are thrilled with that proposal.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

paul wrote:
redback_original wrote:but it obviously is for these 2nd tier comps..
It's not as big an issue as you might think.

Perth (the WA Reds) play in the Jim Beam Cup which is a third tier comp. Auckland play in the NSW Cup and Cairns play in the QLD Cup which are both second tier comps. Townsville are the northernmost team in the QLD state league (soccer).

The only ones I can remember failing due to airfares were Pt Moresby in the QLD Cup and Townsville in the gridiron state comp.
Oil just hit $140 a barrel :)

anthony
Bronze

Post by anthony »

and there are less cars on the roads in California :)

anthony
Bronze

Post by anthony »

I'm trying to put into perspective the development of the proposed GC team. It is 3 years out & they are about to appoint a talent manager, Gen Man & junior coach. Is there anyone familiar with the GC who can compare this with the establishing of the Titans? Also I read somewhere that there are currently 13 GC footballer listed with the AFL. I would imagine it was a bigger % with the NRL at the time.

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

More on the NT team into the AFLQ State League next year:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/06/29/2289021.htm wrote:Mixed reaction to NT team joining AFL Qld competition

Posted Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:07pm AEST

One of the Northern Territory's most respected AFL coaches says he is disappointed with AFL-NT's decision to field a representative team in the Queensland state league next year.

The Territory team will become the ninth team in the AFL Queensland competition after attempts to join the Adelaide based SANFL competition were unsuccessful.

Darwin based coach Mark Motlop says the Territory should have waited and launched another bid to join the SANFL next year.

"I'm unhappy. In 2009 I believe there was an opportunity to play two exhibition games and we'd revisit it at 2010," he said.

"If it was one year to wait why not, we've waited 20 years to get in this position what is one more year?"

But AFL-NT's chief executive officer, Tony Frawley, says the move into the Brisbane competition will be good for Territory football.

"They've been trying to get a team here for over 30 or 40 years and it's a reality now and it's exciting for our players to be able to have a pathway to go to play state footy," he said.
That shows more of a hint that the SNAFL wanted a more staged introduction where as the AFLQ was ready to just jump in the deep end and get things moving. It is a good move for the state and hopefully it will be a great place for the juniors to get some better experience before being picked for AFL clubs and the like. Plus it will really strengthen the AFLQ comp and hopefully I guess move it to the 4th strongest comp behind the AFL. (If it isn't already there)
Last edited by beastjim on Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bazza
Silver

Post by bazza »

anthony wrote:I'm trying to put into perspective the development of the proposed GC team. It is 3 years out & they are about to appoint a talent manager, Gen Man & junior coach. Is there anyone familiar with the GC who can compare this with the establishing of the Titans?
I think the Gold Coast bid team was running from around 2000 with Michael Searle and Paul Broughton lobbying the NRL and staging trials and NRL games on the GC.

I don't think it was till they were officially announced as being in the 2007 NRL season that they signed up a coach and other staff
Also I read somewhere that there are currently 13 GC footballer listed with the AFL. I would imagine it was a bigger % with the NRL at the time
Plenty of players from the Gold Coast area in the NRL. I think there is a school there that is pretty big on rugby league and had students like Benji Marshall and a few others

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

Keebra Park SHS and I think Palm Beach Currumbin are the two biggest Rugby League schools on the coast. Benji Marshall came from the Keebra Park.

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

bazza wrote:
anthony wrote:I'm trying to put into perspective the development of the proposed GC team. It is 3 years out & they are about to appoint a talent manager, Gen Man & junior coach. Is there anyone familiar with the GC who can compare this with the establishing of the Titans?
I think the Gold Coast bid team was running from around 2000 with Michael Searle and Paul Broughton lobbying the NRL and staging trials and NRL games on the GC.

I don't think it was till they were officially announced as being in the 2007 NRL season that they signed up a coach and other staff
Going back to around 2004 they had a working name called Gold Coast Dolphins which they were forced to change because of possible action from Redcliffe.

I remember they even had Gold Coast Dolphins jerseys for sale on their website with sponsors and proper club logos sans NRL even though no team existed.

I wonder how much one of these would fetch now on ebay?

Nines
Silver

Post by Nines »

anthony wrote:Thanx for all that - interesting. Isn't the NT footy season the reverse time?
Yes , that's right , so the best of the NT comp will be available for
AFLQ comp .

paul
Bronze

Post by paul »

bazza wrote:I think the Gold Coast bid team was running from around 2000 with Michael Searle and Paul Broughton lobbying the NRL and staging trials and NRL games on the GC.

I'm pretty sure they signed John Cartwright as coach (he was 2IC at the Roosters at the time) and Preston Campbell (the first player signing) back in 2005 when they were calling themselves the Gold Coast Dolphins.