Australia's Epic Rugby Win on Saturday Night

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
Jeffles
Platinum

Australia's Epic Rugby Win on Saturday Night

Post by Jeffles »

What a great match. Down by 20-8 after 30 minutes. They did well to claw their way back to 20-12 at the break and finally win 23-20. Very good oerformance by the forwards and dummy half runs just carved up some ordinary marker defence.

Great Britian are unlucky not to have won either match. They very well should have. I wish the all the best in the third Test. Their enterprising play (especially from the outside backs) makes for very entertaining Rugby.

The atmosphere at Hull was amazing. "Old Faithful" always gets the crowd going.

P.S. Just out of curiosity, how many of you thought I meant the Wallabies when reading the title? :lol:

dantheman
Bronze

Post by dantheman »

Anyone reading this post living in Australia would have assumed that you were talking about the RWC match on Saturday.

The League game was aired here on Sunday morning.

I'm sure your misleading title seemed tricky to you. You need to get out more.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

It was on Saturday night (GMT). I was correct.

Yes I need to go out more. :lol: But I'd rather procrastinate on austadiums.com when I should be studying. Anyone know anything useful about administrative law? I'd kill two birds with one stone. :D

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

I heard it was a brilliant game, more running involved and a great spectacle.

I didnt bother to watch it though, i still have nightmares thinking of that Penrith vs Roosters game. I still can't believe I sat through a whole match. :wink:

Thank god we beat them though, Why is it called the Ashes when this seems to be like the Crickets right to call a clash between Australia and England the ashes. Could it be one code trying to copy anothers?

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Ashes is the unofficial name. Both the ARL and the RFL have asked that the media stop referring to it by that name. But I think that because it has been so entrenched as the Ashes that people will just keep using that name.

RL isn't the only sport to misappropriate the Ashes. I believe when England playes the Socceroos at Aussie Stadium 12 years ago they marketed it as the Ashes. Not technically correct I admit.

Misty Bee
Bronze

Post by Misty Bee »

Ashes has been the slang reference to the Australian v GB clashes since 1908, when we won the first Kangaroo tour. It's not some later marketing ploy. The name also properly reflects the gravity of the history of the tests betweeh these two nations, surely unmatched even in Cricket for intensity and long running rivalry.

This sweries was very close, with Australia scoring 3 last minute ome from behind wins.

Tha Kangaroos have now notched up 25 years of series victories, surely unmatched in any football code.