Rugby League WC

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
BomberCal
Bronze

Rugby League WC

Post by BomberCal »

Does anyone know for sure where the next Rugby League WC is held?

Last I heard that we were trying to get it.

I need to get out more!

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

The RLWC has taken place since 1954, longer than the UWC by some 33 years. The first tournament was held in France and Great Britain (the Lions) beat the hosts (the Chanticleers) in the final in Paris in what it considered one of the greatest international RL matches ever.

RLWCs were held every 4 or do years up until the year 2000. The RLWC in 2000, the las to be held, drew great financial losses. As a result it hampered the development of emerging RL nations whose funding in the past had derived greatly from RLWC related grants.

As a result the RLIF (Rugby League International Federation) has decided to put the RLWC on hold for a while as it tries to reconsolidate some financial standing. Rising crowds for internationals and Sevens in the Big 3 (Aust, NZ and GB), a Tri Series between the Big 3 in 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2007, as well as an increased TV deal in the UK for the next 5 years should see the RLIF bank account grow again.

There has been a rumour floating around that the RLWC will return in 2008, the centenary year of RL in Aust. I'd love to see that. The Centenary World Cup in 1995 in the UK was a cracker of a tournament.

SIDENOTE: John "rah rah" O'Neill has questioned the timing of the Kangaroo Tour in today's Tele. Hello John. There have been end of year tours ever since 1908. Get over it son. It is not a ploy.

Hiraldo
Silver

Post by Hiraldo »

Jeffles wrote:SIDENOTE: John "rah rah" O'Neill has questioned the timing of the Kangaroo Tour in today's Tele. Hello John. There have been end of year tours ever since 1908. Get over it son. It is not a ploy.
Surely they could've had it in mid to late October (Or early November at the latest) and just kept the NRL GF in September?

I agree with you that it's not a ploy but still...

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

End of season Kangaroo Tours ghave been a tradititon for 96 years. Wasn't that enough of a precedent for J.O'N.

The dates aren't that bad. They had to play New Zealand and for the first time in 9 years, the Roos are playing warm up matches against French Selection, England 'A' and Wales. The Tetss are on a s soon as possible.

But I digress. I hope they bring back the RLWC in 2008.

Misty Bee
Bronze

Post by Misty Bee »

The ESL Grand Final was held in mid October, so it had nothing to do with the NRL GF. Maybe John O'Neil was worried that the kangaroos would still be the only Aussie teams standing by then.

BTW, the RLIF owns the rights to the name "Rugby World Cup"

The 2000 tournament coincided with Britains worst weather in a centiry (the floods of 2000). Plus, the Kangaroos were at their best - clearly Australia's best sporting team of the time. The rest didn't have a hope, except Wales, NZ and England in the first halvesof each game.