Australian Baseball League

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
Tonic
Bronze

Post by Tonic »

Looks like Waverly Park

Waz
Silver

Re: jyg

Post by Waz »

guy41 wrote:What ground is that?
surely that's in the US?

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

It is Waverley Park. No doubt about it. I think that was the game where a then league record of 12,000 attended. Here's another photo:

www.waverleyreds.com

Waz
Silver

Post by Waz »

farken 'ell

guy41
Bronze

jhh

Post by guy41 »

That's what Carlton SC did at optus, they only put the fans in one stand and left the rest empty

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

No they didn't. Every stand was open except for the ledgends stand. Unless they changed it for the last few games at the ground or something.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

It just looked that way, as the ground looked like there was no people they had a very low supporter base, in camparison to there wealth and success(in the early days and right up until the death), much like Parramatta. The move to Olympic Park was the best move they could do, even though there crowds didnt improve. i think there first game was against the Glory and 5,000 people turned up I don't think they got anymore then that ever for a regular season game in there short history.

They were supported less then the two ethnic clubs, that seems so unusual, I suppose Melbourne didnt have the soccer going population to tap into as they thought.

If Carlton were still here today you would have a great race for the title, it really was dissapointing when they had to fold for all soccer fans, they were in fact a great side.

Back to topic Melbourne getting 12,000 to the ground did they have wide support in the community or where the tickets cheap or given away, what is the league record, surely it was in Melbourne that they got the record.

guy41
Bronze

Post by guy41 »

cam wrote:No they didn't. Every stand was open except for the ledgends stand. Unless they changed it for the last few games at the ground or something.
They had huge advertisments on trailers blocking the empty stands on the outer wings.

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

Yeah, just the Ledgends Stand (1 side of the field).

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

At the height iof their popularity the Sydney Blues played at Parramatta Stadium (73 metre right field, wat a joke. The team was stacked with lefties.) They'd draw 4000ish and in the final series against the Brisbane (arse) Bandits I think they cracked (no pun intended) 10,000 but I'm not sure

the guy
Silver

Post by the guy »

I remeber going to every Monarchs game I could at Melbourne Ballpark (Altona), It was always a great night , spend the first few innings in the carpark chasing fly balls, when got about 3 balls then i'd go watch the game and at the end of it go into the Monarchs dugout to get the balls signed by all of the players. I really miss the ABL. Bring it back I say.

North Mole
Bronze

Post by North Mole »

That picture is a Waverley Reds game at VFL Park....they had to squash the crowd into the pocket behind the home plate......I think they got about 12,000 to that derby game against the Melbourne Monarchs from memory

The original ABL teams were Perth Heat, Adelaide Giants, Sydney Metros, Parramatta Patriots, Brisbane Bandits, Waverley Reds, Melbourne Monarchs, Daikyo Dolphins