Three in a Row for the Brisbane Lions

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
Waz
Silver

Post by Waz »

what if it had rained though? they would have slipped then... I know it didn't rain, but "what if someone slipped?" is not an excuse in football...

It was however inappropriate to water the ground 2 1/2 hours before the game...

argee
Bronze

Post by argee »

Rain can be predicted and prepared for. Watering Telstra Stadium just a short time before the match was no accident or oversight. It was a ploy by the Swans to upset the Lions on the field. And what happened: My Lions ran away with it, thats what happened.

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

Well congratulations to the Lions (Fitzroy as I like to call them!). Too strong on the day.

I've noticed all the interstaters become very quite lately. During the season you couldn't stop giving it to the Vics. However the WA's were first to go, then the SA's (one of my top moments of the season), and finally NSW. :wink:

What a season though. A total of 6,351,251 attending the AFL in 2003, an average of 34,331 per game. With the highest crowd of the year being 79,451 at the GF. If you compare those figures to the NRL, they have so far got 3,007,706 (15,747 avg), still with 1 prelim and the grand final to go. Also so many emotional moments this year, as well as some greats retiring from the game, over 100,000 at the grand final parade (on that note, Collingwood got between 15&20,000 to their final training session). What a season!

Crowd stats by www.austadiums.com/sport :!: :!:

Waz
Silver

Post by Waz »

Was very good to see some good crowd figures this year...

I'm looking forward to 2004... we get to see further developments at the MCG, new seats at Footy Park, and yeah... not a lot else I don't think! :p lol

argee
Bronze

Post by argee »

Brisbane Lions: Greatest team ever!!!! And here is why:compared with Collingwood of late twenties and Melbourne of late fifties Brisbane Lions are taking part in a comp with 4 more teams, 5 states instead of one, three separate Brownlow medallists and a much greater depth in the comp. You can't argue with that. Not that I am one to gloat or anything but I will anyway. Brisbane Lions 134 d. Collingwood 84 by 50, thats 50 points!!!!!!! WOW!
As a sidebar: Cam, the crowds for AFL are obviously phenomenal this season, but you can't compare them to NRL crowds seeing as the ground capacities are far smaller due in large part to a smaller playing area (therefore the perimeter is smaller) and also due to the fact that most Sydney teams still play in their traditional areas at their traditional grounds (Parramatta Stadium, Penrith Stadium, Toyota Stadium, Jubilee Oval, Campbelltown Stadium, Leichhardt Oval) and the NRL also has teams in large regional centres (Townsville, Wollongong, etc) where larger stadiums aren't viable. The AFL is lucky in that 12 of its teams play home games in 3 of the 6 largest stadiums (MCG, Telstra Dome, AAMI which are all over 50000 capacity) in Australia. Therefore it is only logical that the NRL would have a lower overall aggregate considering that the majority of its stadiums have an average capacity of about 25000. Both codes have had record years in the crowd department so lets hope that next year the trend continues.

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

Stadium size really has nothing to do with it. How many sell-outs were there this year? 3 or 4?

I still rate the Hawthorn size of the 80's as one of the greatest. Where Brisbane have been sensational over 3 years, Hawthorn was right up their throughout the 80's. Premiers in 83, 86, 88, 89, & 91.

Mental Anguish
Bronze

Post by Mental Anguish »

really the hawks shouldn't of won the GF in 1991. i know they were great and all but after the season they had the eagles should of won it. they lost what 1 or 2 games in the regular season. but they made up for it in 1992 and 1994.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Someone wrote a letter to The Age last week saying how much they liked the French RU team singing the Brisbane Lions Club Song (albeit in French) before their quarter final match :lol: :lol:

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

Mental Anguish wrote:really the hawks shouldn't of won the GF in 1991. i know they were great and all but after the season they had the eagles should of won it. they lost what 1 or 2 games in the regular season. but they made up for it in 1992 and 1994.
Crap. Of course the mighty hawks should of won! Premiers 83, 86, 88, 89, & 91. :wink:

redback_original
Silver

Post by redback_original »

Someone wrote a letter to The Age last week saying how much they liked the French RU team singing the Brisbane Lions Club Song (albeit in French) before their quarter final match
i too noticed them singing the Lions club song, which was a great touch... for their fellow coqs...