Open for business .Ponsford level 1 open .

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
melbournian
Bronze

Open for business .Ponsford level 1 open .

Post by melbournian »

Just had a look at the new Ponsford stand level 1 and all I can say at this time is Bloody Huge . To give you all a mental picture ! Think southern stand but three times bigger . The very comfortable seat's slightly rock to ease a sore bum when watching the game . And a much wider concourse for easy access / egress. Still dull in colour but the new paint is not far away . Levels 1 & B1 will be in use for Saturday .
Stay turned for more!

melbournian
Bronze

Post by melbournian »

GO Collingwood! I can't believe that I'm barracking for Collingwood thou we don't won't port into the final......
Anyway every available seat is taken in the Ponsford with a lot of happy face's pleased with the temporary facilities , toilet's are available when need ,no queuing. Temporary food & drink outlets are everywhere also with fair sized bar’s aswell.
Getting in went off with out a hitch . Large sign’s pointing you in the correct direction and helpful red coat's directing aswell. Should be a great finish to ports season lol.

argee
Bronze

Post by argee »

Is development of the stand still on schedule? And does anyone know when the Olympic Stand is going under the mercy of the bulldozers?

melbournian
Bronze

Post by melbournian »

Construction is approximately 1 to 2 weeks ahead of schedule but as always the power's that be are asking for more seat's for grand final. Grocon supplied an extra 2000 on top of the 6000 they already have thou the MCC want 2000 more for the big one . Hopefully the G will seat just under 80000 plus standing room in M section for grand final.
The Olympic stand is due to bite the big one late in 2004 after the grand final.
Pavilion is coming down late October early November this year so if you live in Melbourne take what time is left to have one last look at it. Also the MCC is having an open week for people (Non member) to have a look.

Waz
Silver

Post by Waz »

will be sad to see the Member's pavillion come down, but hey, If you guys are to have the best stadium in Oz, then it's got to happen... Can't wait to see the finished product with that roof!

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

I believe when the take down the members pavilion after the grand final, they are also demolishing a section of the Olympic Stand. That's why the Richmond Rooms are being used for the last time.

Waz
Silver

Post by Waz »

d'ya know if the TV cameras will move to the southern side temporarily after olympic and members are demolished?

melbournian
Bronze

Post by melbournian »

Yeah that’s right Cam just over half of the Olympic stand is coming down witch will include the Melbourne / Richmond rooms. Historian's from both club's have already began to remove item's from them so there is not much to look at when on a tour except the club color’s.
As for camera location's some of them will relocate to the southern so you will get the reverse angle and fair bit more, but most will remain on the northern side by using scaffolding . And northern side ground shoot's will come from light tower's 6, 1 & 2.

Tonight is the official launch of the 150 year birthday of the club. Some of the guests are James Hird, Steve Bracks , Kristen Nixon ,Ron Barrassi and many other high profile people. With the whole group posing for a picture in the seat's of the member's pavilion.

Mr J
Bronze

Post by Mr J »

taking out half of the olympic stand will be a bit tricky. I would imagine that the whole thing would coem down together because of all the steel connecting it and stuff...well i guess not. I cant wait to see the new northern stand its going to make the MCG the best ground in Aus if not the world. I wish there were some clear pictures of it though (the new stand) the pavillion is set to fall any day soon now (november 1st i think) which is a bit of a wait but its so they an host the international rules match.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »