FIFA, why kick us when where down?

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!

Your Opinion of the FIFA crew

Die FIFA die
50%
How can they disrespect us like that?
33%
All's fair in love and war
17%
I hate soccer, I don't really care
No votes
If only New Zealand could play Soccer
No votes

Total votes: 6

Egan
Platinum

FIFA, why kick us when where down?

Post by Egan »

I have never in my life seen such a stupid or an immoral sporting issue as such. But in effectiveness FIFA HAS ruled out giving Oceania direct entry into the 2006 WORLD CUP infavour of giving half a spot back to the South Americans. This is such an decisive decision, it takes us from near certanties to make the world cup to a 50/50 chance this is a huge blow to the people of Australia, obviously that 3-1 win over England hasn't fully been recognised yet. Lets hope our next three games we wipe Cameroon, Ireland and I think the other team is Jamaica off the Park, for our own prides sake which has been dealt a considerable blow. The reason to blame for this sudden backflip, well reading why FIFA changed it was mainly due to you guessed it SOCCER AUSTRALIA infighting NOW THATS A CHANGE. And yes they blaim the KIWIS not performing that well at the confederations cup in France. Accordin to Scarsella he belevies that it was due to the powerful south americans urging another place in the world cup. No matter what the decision was when an australian team get cheated upon, we get up and fight. I think MORE respect for Australian Soccer will be a key motivator to the next world cup and I think they can make it, Kewell will be in his prime. Schwazer will get better the older he gets ( goalkeepers dont retire to about 35-40) Emerton and David Tarka will be stars. This should put FIFA and the South Americans in there place as we will knock them off the park. Bring on the qualifiers in Perth of course not the major one. I want to see them in action. This is not just a disgrace to the soccer community but the whole of AUSTRALIA. This was not only about world cup selection but also respect. Obviously those arrogant FIFA officials looked in there own backyard and selfishly did not look to the future of the game. What a disgrace!

marcus
Bronze

Post by marcus »

Last edited by marcus on Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

I too am gutted but not surprised. While the general quality of soccer in the region is down we shan't expect FIFA to do too much for us. You have to balance WORLD Cup with playing quality. And FIFA would probably look at us and think "small TV market. We can afford not to have representation her because they'll watch it in numbers anyway." But to do a backflip is DISGRACEFUL!!!

I think our chances for direct qualification would be boosted if we were to qualify for the tournament itself with this globe-trotting method and say to FIFA "hey we are worthy of a direct spot."

Still I am totally shattered. But I will be at Telstra Stadium (or MCG) in late 2005 for our match against New Zealand and then the South American nation we face. Come on Aussies!!!!