Contraversy over medal

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
Egan
Platinum

Contraversy over medal

Post by Egan »

The Western Derby was played yesterday with 41,500 people attending this great event the eagles won but the biggest contraversy was the winner of The Ross Glenndening medal best afield in a Western Derby. This was awarded to Micheal Gardner irrespective of a majority of the people who picked Ashley Sampi who scored 4 goals in a brilliant display. This was due to the rights of Ross Glenndening to veto the decision made by journalists at The West Australian and he thought Micheal Gardner was the best afield. Micheal Gardner did not play badly, but clearly Sampi deserves the medal due to his higher vote collection he recieved from the media. Ross should be ashamed with his selfish decision to veto his vote. It just shows you what a person will do when hes been out of the spotlight for the last few years

argee
Bronze

Post by argee »

I'm actually having a problem keeping up with all of the medals being awarded latelyand a stop should be put to them. The biggest insult is the ANZAC Medal. Thats disrespectful to REAL heroes. At worst it should be called the ANZAC Day Medal. And now to increase the vomit level we have the Jason McCartney Medal to recognise someone unfortunate enough to be seriously injured in the Bali bombing but lets not forget that he was on an end of season piss up at the time. And lets not forget how he wasted a lot of time and money of a club (Kangaroos) that could ill afford it only to retire after one game back. Heroic he may have been in his recovery, but the outcome was hardly flattering for his club.

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

You're pathetic argee. It's amazing he even came back to play that 1 game. Do you realise how much pain he went through? Do you reckon he could cope with that week in week out? It was great for the Kangaroos. They cashed in on it: 43,000 at the game, merchandise, memberships, general interest in the club.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Cam agree with you, McCartney oozed respect and class when he came back, do u think he would be playing if he could YES. McCartney had every intentions of playing one game, but would he have rathered to not have recieved the burns and be playing the game now YES. The fact is Argee victorian hatred should not get to the extent when we bag out one of the icons of the game and how Jason McCartney represents what makes aussie rules so unique to australia. That one player was prepared to guts it for the sake of a nation and to show that he was not defeated. Good on you Jason, Argee maybe Ive misinterpreted you, but it seems as though your bagging him out which is totally unfounded. If a drink is why you do not have sympathy for him, next time your drunk think Do I deserve to be called a citizen of Australia for bagging a player for getting drunk/pissed when nearly everyone in there lifetime will get drunk. Then maybe you will learn to regret the post that suggested that McCartney should not have got a medal because he was there on a piss up, that seems highly hypocritical. If im wrong state what you tried to mean, as that was what I took from the message, then maybe ill have a different ideal of what you are trying to get at. No I dont think there are too many medals today, the medals are iconic and build up the match a great thing for derbies, Anzac Day match and so forth. A great tradition started by the AFL

argee
Bronze

Post by argee »

I think I may have been taken a little bit TOO seriously and in the wrong way. I was only arguing that there are too many medals coming into the game, especially for sappy, media inspired, 'FEELGOOD' stories like the one concerning Jason McCartney. I did state in my original post that his comeback was extremely heroic and I do concede Egan that the Kangaroos did benefit in terms of bums on seats and hence, money from the publicity. But, when I heard about the awarding of a Jason McCartney Medal, my cynicism was prickled. My objection was not meant as any disrespect to the man, I assure you. I was only a little annoyed by the AFL using a tragic event such as the Bali bombings to increase its own media coverage, and THAT IS THE REAL REASON BEHIND THE IDEA FOR THE MEDAL. The medal was not minted out of respect as the touchy-feelys out there like to blindly believe but instead it was made to make a few bucks. That is unforgivable in my books. And that should be objected to by all sports fans.
So Cam please, I am not so blinded by my acute dislike for Victorians and their bizarre antics that I would actually be disrespectful in the way you suggested. I do however apologise if any offence was taken as it was not intended.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Although I disagree with your opinion, why would the AFL try to increase revenue in victoria? They are already dominant in prfiel in the state, no more money would be going to the AFL coffers it would be going to the kangaroos. The original post did seem like you were slaying McCartney, I think the awards are something for the fans and media circus, I like them being awarded and if people didnt they certainly would say so. Medals are a rarity and should be able to be won when events such as the Western Derby are on, as they stop the state of Western Australia in arguable the most anticipated event on the Perth Sporting calender.

argee
Bronze

Post by argee »

Egan, if you want to feel free to be sucked in by hysterically overemotional media puff pieces then that is your prerogative.
Once again- no disrespect for McCartney personally was intended in my original post. Issue over, OK.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

I agree with your sentiments argee. Notwithstanding the phenomenal effort of Jason McCartney to make his comeback, it appears that this is a short sighted grab a a sympathy dollar. I do not think you meant any malice Argee and I certainly do not.

argee
Bronze

Post by argee »

Finally, someone who can see where I'm coming from.
Its going to keep happening (the soppy medal crap). Mark my words, after today's news, watch out for the Adam Ramanauskas Medal coming in an Essendon game near you next year.
N.B. No disrespect to Adam. I hope he recovers as soon as possible.