WAFL Attendance Figures

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
Egan
Platinum

Re: WAFL Attendance Figures

Post by Egan »

Soaks wrote:Can't do the game this weekend Egan.In Melbourne getting my footy fix for the year.

Went to Victoria park for the Collingwood v Nth Bullants game on Sat and took some photos.I will post them once I figure out how to do it.They are starting a $7 million Redevelopment.They are up doing up some of the existing stands and turning the rest into recreational parklands much like Unley Oval.

As for West Perth being upper class :shock: :lol: :der:

You don't get a nickname like the Garlic Munchers by being upper class.You get that name by having a working class ethnic supporter base much like Sth Freo has.Claremont and $ubiaco can have all those 4x4 driving knobheads for themselves.

As for East Perth, they have no class.
The suburb West Perth, high up on the hill was traditionally the suburb of gentry, while East Perth was full of factories (can still see a few of them) and most definitely working class.

Lots of Italians support West Perth, but when did this start?

Personally, considering Subiaco and West Perth are neighbouring suburbs, I have been surprised there has been little if any rivalry based on local proximity to each other.

Soaks
Bronze

Post by Soaks »

Egan wrote:
Soaks wrote:Can't do the game this weekend Egan.In Melbourne getting my footy fix for the year.

Went to Victoria park for the Collingwood v Nth Bullants game on Sat and took some photos.I will post them once I figure out how to do it.They are starting a $7 million Redevelopment.They are up doing up some of the existing stands and turning the rest into recreational parklands much like Unley Oval.

You don't get a nickname like the Garlic Munchers by being upper class.You get that name by having a working class ethnic supporter base much like Sth Freo has.Claremont and $ubiaco can have all those 4x4 driving knobheads for themselves.

In the late 40's early 50's when a lot of Italians and Slavs came over they basically turned much of the West Perth zone into one big market garden.They would all work the gardens till noon on saturdays before heading to Leederville to watch the footy.A couple of years ago the footy club named it's Garlic Muncher team of the century to honour the great ethnic players who have represented the club.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Soaks wrote:
Egan wrote:

In the late 40's early 50's when a lot of Italians and Slavs came over they basically turned much of the West Perth zone into one big market garden.They would all work the gardens till noon on saturdays before heading to Leederville to watch the footy.A couple of years ago the footy club named it's Garlic Muncher team of the century to honour the great ethnic players who have represented the club.

I would say prior to the post War migration, the support base would have been completely different. The West Perth zone has quite a few State League sides as well, Stirling Macedonia, Floreat Athena, Perth SC,

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

East Fremantle v Sth Fremantle was 7531 (which is 700 lower than the Foundation Day Derby crowd at Freo Oval). These derbies are quite surreal, despite East Freo Oval being about 2kms from Freo Oval, the crowd is 80% East Freo fans, likewise when the derby is at Freo Oval.

Nearly 18,000 for the round and crowd attendances are 1.01% down on the same time last year. Which is not bad considering the successive season growth in ticket cost. Now $15 for adults and $12 for concession. People are prepared to pay a relative premium to see the product...

Spirit of Santos
Bronze

Post by Spirit of Santos »

Impressive crowds.

It's interesting how the WAFL and SAFL contrasts with the BRL. The BRL was well supported, had great history and rivalries. Yet Queenslanders dropped it like a ton of bricks the moment the Broncos came into being. Even the segment of supporters the Broncos lost after Super League never saw fit to return to their old clubs.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Spirit of Santos wrote:Impressive crowds.

It's interesting how the WAFL and SAFL contrasts with the BRL. The BRL was well supported, had great history and rivalries. Yet Queenslanders dropped it like a ton of bricks the moment the Broncos came into being. Even the segment of supporters the Broncos lost after Super League never saw fit to return to their old clubs.
I think you will find the stadium capacity issue at Subiaco Oval (which increased costs) and the fact you have a few marquee rounds in the WAFL kept it going, in the face of a rapid erosion.

But it was individual clubs connecting more with their community that got the crowds and has led to government funds to expand the facilities, as they have good social outcomes that are delivered by the funding and the government can see more people will utilise the facilities.

What I find interesting is that the support level has been maintained despite the increasing ticket prices and even for teams who are not performing and losing every week. Every club recorded crowd increases when we had the major 15% growth back in 08 which has been sustained over the last few seasons.

I think Peel will get 2000+ this week.

Soaks
Bronze

Post by Soaks »

Spirit of Santos wrote:Impressive crowds.

What sort of crowds were there pre Broncos and how many people go to League games in Brisbane now?

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Egan wrote: I think Peel will get 2000+ this week.
Unless Barlow is playing (which looks doubtful), i'd be surprised.

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

Re BRL:
IIRC before nationalisation of VFL & NSWRL a Brisbane finals with Brothers regularly got 25,000. SANFL & WAFL always got about double that - which is why Westlakes was built & Subiaco had to be increased. As for weekly H&A attendances, PAFC regularly got 12,000 at Alberton - & over 20,000 for big games (EG Norwood). I doubt BRL got more than 3,000 for average games, but I stand to be corrected.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

nobleoz wrote:Re BRL:
IIRC before nationalisation of VFL & NSWRL a Brisbane finals with Brothers regularly got 25,000. SANFL & WAFL always got about double that - which is why Westlakes was built & Subiaco had to be increased. As for weekly H&A attendances, PAFC regularly got 12,000 at Alberton - & over 20,000 for big games (EG Norwood). I doubt BRL got more than 3,000 for average games, but I stand to be corrected.
You'll actually find it was only in the AFL era that they actually expanded Subiaco Oval. You know we haven't built venues in any part of our history.

We spent a truckload on Perry Lakes in 62, spent a bit on a three tier stand in 69, but the Members Stand and Two Tier Stand had been built, with terracing behind the goals at the city end and on the northern end of the ground was just a grass bank.

Redevelopments in 95 and 99 added to the stands that were built in 69 (Three tier and Two Tier Stands)and destroyed the old Members stand.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Rob wrote:
I'll look out for you tommorow if you come down to our beautiful ground 8)

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Egan wrote:
Rob wrote:
I'll look out for you tommorow if you come down to our beautiful ground 8)
Might do if the weather is decent. Look forward to checking out the new stand.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Just a correction for the crowd at Claremont Oval.

WAFL Online have said 3,247 - WAFC site

18,148 for the round :)
We're on 108,407 after 46 matches.
After 46 matches last year we were on 106,721
Someone added up the crowd figures after 46 games. Good to see we are still on the growth trajectory, seems as if West Perth are about to build a player auditorium and a gymnasium to attach to their club rooms.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Blowing an absolute gale down here Rob, but fine weather...should be a really interesting contest, especially if peel get the wind the first quarter.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »