16 grounds for an Australian FIFA World Cup ...

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
cam
Gold

Post by cam »

Watch the HD version of the ad here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioIW0ZeONrM
Look at the end, notice the stadium is sitting on top of the SCG!

timmers
Bronze
Location: Sydney's Hills, where public transport doesn't exist

Post by timmers »

cam wrote:Watch the HD version of the ad here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioIW0ZeONrM
Look at the end, notice the stadium is sitting on top of the SCG!
Interesting, also I think if you look at the shot just after 2 minutes through, its at Homebush. have a look and compare it to a photo on airviewonline.com.au (i'll avoid putting a link because I don't want to stretch the page) search Sydney Showgrounds and Telstra Stadium and its the first photo that comes up.

It was the athletics stadium that clinched it for me

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Where abouts will this stadium that doesn't exist not be built?

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

Build it in Tarcutta.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

Jeffles wrote:
hot_dogma wrote:I totally wasn't inspired.

What inspires me is what would be good Aussie FIFA bribes.
Take the officials to the rub and tug joints. Isn't that what Labozetta used to do?
yeah but he wasn't bidding for anything, it was just Saturday night.

IIRC the Sydney Olympics bid committee took the IOC officials to higher quality establishments

jacobhalls
Bronze

Post by jacobhalls »

First panned shot of the stadium that doesnt exist is at Homebush on top of where ANZ Stadium & the Sydney Showground is. You can tell this by the athletics track in the top left corner - [url]http://www.airviewonline.com.au/photos/ ... ra-Stadium[/url]

At the end of the ad/movie it is shwon next to thje SFS, where the SCG is. You can just see the SFS roof so you know thats where it is. I wonder why they didnt go with stadium that do exist e.g. Suncorp Stadium, ANZ Stadium & so on. Maybe they really will build a stadium of this calibre but odds would be 100:1.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

It's a magic stadium that can move across town and you don't have to pay image rights to put it in your advertising

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

The best part of the Advertiser article was that they promised Federal government funding.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Simmo79 wrote:It's a magic stadium that can move across town and you don't have to pay image rights to put it in your advertising
Probably saving every penny for the 25,000 seat ikea crud stadiums + 20,000 stuck on seats with portaloos. Really nice portaloos.

Dasher39
Silver

Post by Dasher39 »

Egan wrote:The best part of the Advertiser article was that they promised Federal government funding.
It was never really in any doubt, given how strongly the Govt are pushing for this. Any works associated with the 2018 WC Bid will receive strong Fed Govt backing.

I still have a feeling SA will end up with a new Rectangular Stadium.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Well you have to say that Dasher, we have a $10 bet on it.

The Advertiser said it is the most likely outcome, however no decision has been made. Kudos to the FFA going back on the decision to rule out Adelaide Oval

Dasher39
Silver

Post by Dasher39 »

Egan wrote:The Advertiser said it is the most likely outcome, however no decision has been made.
Is that an AO Redevelopment or a new rectangular stadium?

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

I had a good look at Stadium Australia last week. With the ground set up in rectangular mode the width of the grassed area is less than Olympia Stadion in Berlin. Row 20 in the moveable stands was a great view but it is at the drip line of the roof. The rake of the bottom bowl is fairly flat, probably a C of 60 mm. I couldn't see the sideline because of the portable advertising boards. I am not sure that they were the FIFA standard 900 mm high, they looked taller. If they could replicate the top tier at the northern end at the southern end then capacity could be increased by about 3,500 seats. I didn't check the structure externally but the inside is identical so I assume it can be done. Reworking the roof at both ends and putting in another tier would be a big job and would gain something of the order of 8,000 seats. While bringing the stadium to 95,000 seats would be great for the WC I wonder whether the cost would be too great.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Dasher39 wrote:
Egan wrote:The Advertiser said it is the most likely outcome, however no decision has been made.
Is that an AO Redevelopment or a new rectangular stadium?
Adelaide Oval redevelopment is favoured by the Rann Government instead of a rectangular stadium.

As I have said many times before...

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

gyfox wrote:I had a good look at Stadium Australia last week. With the ground set up in rectangular mode the width of the grassed area is less than Olympia Stadion in Berlin. Row 20 in the moveable stands was a great view but it is at the drip line of the roof. The rake of the bottom bowl is fairly flat, probably a C of 60 mm. I couldn't see the sideline because of the portable advertising boards. I am not sure that they were the FIFA standard 900 mm high, they looked taller. If they could replicate the top tier at the northern end at the southern end then capacity could be increased by about 3,500 seats. I didn't check the structure externally but the inside is identical so I assume it can be done. Reworking the roof at both ends and putting in another tier would be a big job and would gain something of the order of 8,000 seats. While bringing the stadium to 95,000 seats would be great for the WC I wonder whether the cost would be too great.
I'd like them to bring the bottom tier in to surround a newly defined 85m x 130m turf surface that would be perfect for the codes that use the stadium most.

Apparently the last redevelopment to take out the end stands, reshape the end of the seating bowl, set up the retractable tiers and build the end rooves cost $80 million.

Assuming even that reshaping the bottom tier would cost twice or three times that, we would convert a stadium that is capable of many things but excellent at none to a stadium that is capable of one less thing (that usually yields 3 match days a year) but excellent at hosting the events that are there for tens of days per year, all for about the cost of one of the ikeadomes.