AFL 2009

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

cam wrote:
Now just waiting for Egan to to turn this into a Western Australian topic.
I'm waiting for it to be turned into there is nothing wrong about Melbourne :wink:

Hey, I haven't used per capita for yonks. Just giving advanced warning to newbies :lol:

timmers
Bronze
Location: Sydney's Hills, where public transport doesn't exist

Post by timmers »

Egan wrote: I'm waiting for it to be turned into there is nothing wrong about Melbourne :wink:

Hey, I haven't used per capita for yonks. Just giving advanced warning to newbies :lol:
Even if you haven't used them it sounds as if you still believe them.

You are always whinging about the lack of socceroos games in Perth and Adelaide etc, you can use per capita statistics all you like, but if you are using these stats to back up your arguement for such causes, then nobody cares, because higher crowd figures are better for the profile and wallet of the sport.

Please note that I am not accusing you of using such stats, rather I am just pointing out why they are irrelevant for professional sport.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

timmers wrote:
Please note that I am not accusing you of using such stats, rather I am just pointing out why they are irrelevant for professional sport.
While they are not completely accurate. When judging Hobart's crowds for Domestic Cricket , should we judge them on the same level as Sydney.

I believe they are one form of analysing a particular cities crowds when you have a domestic competition with 2 cities having a lot more people then the others.

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

Wow - did I unlease some fascinating conflict here :shock:

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

I've heard as of March 2009, world-wide, they're no longer posting crowd figures in the media. Instead you'll see a percentage, which is the percent of the specified city that attended the game. Visiting supporters are no longer allowed to attend games, as crowd figures can potentially go above 100%, which may stress some peope out. :lol:

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

So how do we judge Hobart's crowds against Sydney?

185,000 against 4 million?

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

I think Hobart's crowds for one day domestic cricket matches (around 1,000) are the best crowds in the country, while Sydney should be getting over 100,000 to every state game. :roll:
Egan, please...

sevans
Bronze

Post by sevans »

Egan wrote:
timmers wrote:
While they are not completely accurate. When judging Hobart's crowds for Domestic Cricket , should we judge them on the same level as Sydney.

I believe they are one form of analysing a particular cities crowds when you have a domestic competition with 2 cities having a lot more people then the others.
Egan I totally agree with you. Averages are used to compare a particular cities interest in sport. However I still take more notice of actual attendence figures it is interesting to see percentages in such cities as sydney and Melbourne. However you have to take into account culture, etc. just a guide, nothing more.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

cam wrote:I think Hobart's crowds for one day domestic cricket matches (around 1,000) are the best crowds in the country, while Sydney should be getting over 100,000 to every state game. :roll:
Egan, please...
Did I say the be all and end all?

I said per capita is one aspect of looking at a cities crowds.

Plus I don't even use per capita. Just giving warnings to the newbies on why we don't... :lol:

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

As a newbie (tho I have been a member of austadiums since 2007 - only just registered for the forums) I find this discussion about "per capita" fascinating. The culture is the relevant thing, as Sevans says. It is the states/cities where Aussie Rules has been # 1 code that have higher attendances at weekly club games & huge memberships. But it is only Melb where we say that they would get a crowd for tiddly-winks :P

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

Sneak peek reveals gridiron theme to new AFL promo
Article from: the Hun

Chris de Kretser
February 17, 2009 12:00am

THE AFL's promotional ad this season includes an American football theme and is filmed in a soccer stadium.

Brisbane Lions strongman Jonathan Brown will run through a team of linebackers in full regalia, with refs wearing black and white stripes ready to call the shots.

Bob Jane Stadium was taken over for the shoot yesterday by a convoy of trucks carrying props and film gear.

Brown looked on as his stuntman stand-in bowled over a field of burly gridiron tacklers.

In the morning, Hawthorn star Lance Franklin, St Kilda big man Justin Koschitzke, and North Melbourne's Daniel Wells also filmed segments.

"It's a closed shoot," declared AFL brand manager Jane Ballantyne.

She suggested yesterday's filming was only one part of the ad and that the league preferred to release it in its entirety to the media.

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

BJS is gaining a reputation of being Australian sports' film set.

The current HAL campaign where the fans are jumping up and down in a mega stadium was shot there as well.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

what's with the gridiron theme? It's such a different tack to the Great Australian Game That Built Australia barrow they were pushing last year

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

Simmo79 wrote:
"It's a closed shoot," declared AFL brand manager Jane Ballantyne.
she sounds nice.

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

I just heard about Channel 10 having Kelli Underwood in its commentary box this Saty (Geel vs Adel). Is this the 1st woman commentator of a football game?