AFL 2009

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

Good game from Telstra Dome tonight. $1.5 mill raised from the game alone was gr8.

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

nobleoz wrote:I meant was there a footy match for the bushfire appeal 1983 :lol:
There was a match at VFL Park between the Sun News-Pictorial All Stars and from memory Carlton.

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

U obviously have an excellent memory :wink:

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

watching the game from Carrara.....there will have to be some improvements before it hosts the Gold Coast AFL club.

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

Yeah and the prices weren't pretty either, $13.50 for a concession just to go and stand. $22.50 for one of the open stands at the end (in the rain) then closer to $30 in the stands. For a NAB Cup match this is a bit steep for my liking to be honest, especially at Carrara.

Edit: add $6 on those for Adult prices.

Maybe I am just used to the Roar where I get to sit in the lovely Suncorp for normally $15, and $25 last night got me into an unused Corporate Box.

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

Not good for promting AFL. Did Lions/Saints members get in free with 2009 membership?

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

should read "promoting AFL" :!:

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

beastjim wrote:Yeah and the prices weren't pretty either, $13.50 for a concession just to go and stand. $22.50 for one of the open stands at the end (in the rain) then closer to $30 in the stands. For a NAB Cup match this is a bit steep for my liking to be honest, especially at Carrara.
Not much difference to prices at Subi...

In a non traditional market that is quite expensive though.

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

Despite what we say about Melbournians - you have to hand it to them: 35,000 at the AFL pre-season game Friday, 34,000 at the soccer Saty.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

nobleoz wrote:Despite what we say about Melbournians - you have to hand it to them: 35,000 at the AFL pre-season game Friday, 34,000 at the soccer Saty.
Well the advertising for the AFL pre-season game was huge all week.

And the second game was a final. Not trying to detract from the crowds, but they aren't out of this world.

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

Suppose you are right. Equivalent to 12,000 in Brisbane, Adelaide & Perth.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Just to give you a bit of perspective mate, the Victorians have banned other states using per capita statistics in arguments. You can use them, just be prepared for an attack on the legitimacy of per capita :lol:

How funny is this.

www.perthnow.com.au

NEWLY striped Tiger Ben Cousins fronted a crowd in excess of 500 West Australian Richmond fans for the first time on Friday night.

It was Cousins' WA debut in his new colours and he was quick to win over the Tigers' faithful.

"I think back to my days when I played Richmond - it's certainly got the best theme-song in the competition," Cousins said to a roaring reception.

"I used to find myself singing it, at least until half-time."

Cousins only spoke briefly on the drug-addiction that caused his glittering 238-game career with West Coast to come to a widely-publicised end.

The 30-year-old remained philosophical and said he was thankful for all the support he had received from fans - both old and new.

"Some unforeseeable things happened. But I think that's the way life works," Cousins said.

"The footy public in general has been fantastic.

"It surprised me in a way. And I couldn't ask for anything more, from the average football follower on the street to the Richmond faithful that made me feel welcome."

Richmond coach Terry Wallace said he felt overwhelmed walking into the room of fans, many of who had defected from West Coast.

President Garry March said earlier the club was close to 1000 WA members - a leap of about 600.

"Obviously Ben's had a big impact on our West Australian membership, but we'd also like to think that winning eight of our last 11 games, and being the last team to beat Hawthorn, also contributed to that," March said.

I have personal evidence of a lot of Western Australian's moving to support the Richmond Football Club due to Ben Cousins. But it is not without precedence, North Melbourne has an unusually large following because of West Australians following Krakour, Glendenning and co. It's interesting that the same culture still eminates within WA, despite the rapid changes in the city over the last 20 years.

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

that is funny :lol:

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

on the "per capita" standard, Sydney fails somewhat :!:

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

Gotta laugh at Egan. :lol:

Anyway, if anyone wants to use per capita, yeah just belt out some Sydney crowds please. Actually, how about some U.K. crowds considering what their population is. At the end of the day, they just post a crowd figure in the paper, not a percentage. :wink:

Now just waiting for Egan to to turn this into a Western Australian topic.