Australian baseball

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
Nines
Silver

Post by Nines »

The main problem was that Packer bought the ABL rights then buried it .

:evil:

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

Nines wrote:The main problem was that Packer bought the ABL rights then buried it .

:evil:
How did Australian Baseball benefit from Aussie Rules Football?

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

Norwood Oval :)

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Waverley Park.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

nobleoz wrote:Norwood Oval :)
I would say that was Baseball helping Australian Rules football. Because it was Baseball that brought lights that were suitable to play matches at night, not just for football but for baseball as well.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Egan wrote:
nobleoz wrote:Norwood Oval :)
I would say that was Baseball helping Australian Rules football. Because it was Baseball that brought lights that were suitable to play matches at night, not just for football but for baseball as well.
Don't comment on the Norwood Oval ever again.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

I can be corrected.

What is your version of the development of lights at Norwood Oval?

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Egan wrote:I can be corrected.

What is your version of the development of lights at Norwood Oval?
My version is the norwood football club pitched in for lights at their oval. Also at the same time, a space ship from a distant planet flew over australia on a reconnaisance mission to assertain whether humanity was stupid enough for their secret agent to hide in while fighting their intergalactic war against the Neutralonions. The ship crash landed in rural western australia, you rolled out the front door of the wrecked ship and 20 years later said baseball built lights at the norwood oval.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

Neutral onions? I bet they taste bland

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

Go fishing for a Nines, and you catch a Neutral Onion...

Anglers' luck.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Did some surfing and found that there will be five sides with a possible sixth being Canberra. Hobart misses out primarily due to having no Baseball body in Tasmania.

Interesting sponsorship pledges of $100,000 a year for three years

Upgrading of Nurrabundah Baseball Park

Suggested that there will be a decision over the inclusion of Canberra by October 2009 in New York.

www.letsdoitcanberra.com.au

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

http://www.baseballvictoria.com.au/defa ... Page=57718

Most surprising is the MLB wanting to broadcast the ABL into living rooms throughout the US.
While grassroots club baseball remains the lifeblood of the sport, central to its growth at all levels will be the success of the new national league. Excited by the prospect of helping build the Victorian club from ground level, Nash – who will be the General Manager of ABL Melbourne - has already gained valuable insights into where it may lead us.

“It’s exciting, yes, and it’s a great challenge,” he said.

“The fundamental difference from the former National League is that the new ABL has the financial backing of Major League Baseball. Without their backing, the league would still be just a dream.” Didn't Major League Baseball fund the last competition as well?

“With the involvement of MLB and the ABF, the competition model ensures that Baseball Victoria is not at risk financially. I look at basketball - and to a certain extent soccer - and the ABL is the only national competition in Australia that has the backing of a major overseas sporting organisation – one of the most recognisable brands in the world. One with a stated commitment to developing the sport globally.”

“It has been explained to all of the ABL General Managers – in no uncertain terms – that this is the last chance for baseball. If we don’t get it right this time, it will be an opportunity squandered. When the former National League was being played, there was a genuine spike in junior participation numbers. I am confident that the new league will again provide the sport with more and more kids wanting to play and support this great game.”

No-one is under any illusions about the magnitude of some of the hurdles to be overcome for the league to be a success.

“There will be some enormous challenges for all of the new ABL teams,” said Nash. “The most significant one is crowds. Without people wanting to support the Melbourne team the league will struggle.”

“It’s common knowledge that another major issue will be playing venues. Without going into too much detail, we are working on a strategy that we can take to the state governments.”

“MLB have told us that if the ABL is successful they will roll out this programme around the world. They are extremely supportive and have plans to incorporate the ABL into MLB TV – which has 50 million subscribers in the United States.”

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

http://www.ballarat.baseball.com.au/sit ... mation.pdf

More information on the league structure.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

I sent a mate of mine the link in Egan's post and it turns out he's already pledged to support the team.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Reading the links it seems that all the State Governments are prepared to provide Baseball with a decent facility. The 5000 members pledging $20 each and the $300,000 in corporate support is for the ACT Government to believe it is warranted to upgrade Nurrabundah and that there is support for the MLB.

Gold Coast, Geelong, Central coast or second Melbourne and Sydney sides are the expansion sides it seems.