A-LEAGUE launch: "New Football"

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Well Done to mikeyraw who posted this great design for a Perth Glory Strip...the only problem Western QBE would be the name on the front.

a fantastic shirt though :D

Sathc
Bronze

Post by Sathc »

Are you happy now Egan?

james_
Silver

Post by james_ »

:roll:

Hopefully O'Neill will reject the Auckland team's logo, like he did Melbourne's.

I'm going to refer to the A-League teams by the name of the city in which they're based. So the New Zealand (they're NOT the national team for goodness sake) will be Auckland and Queensland (how can a state be a football CLUB?) will be Brisbane.
HMS wrote:What can Brisbane bring to the table?
Don't get your hopes up.

mikeyraw
Bronze

Post by mikeyraw »

I dont think Western QBE will be the sponsor.

guy41
Bronze

Post by guy41 »

HMS Cheesemaker wrote:Another team, another crappy name.

Sheesh.

Fine, standard Soccer Club names:
Adelaide United
Sydney F.C.

"No, we don't have an ego" names:
Perth Glory
Melbourne Victory

Crappy and/or cliched Mascots:
Newcastle Jets
Central Coast Mariners
New Zealand Knights

That is pretty terrible. What can Brisbane bring to the table?
Adelaide United, now that is a great, original name with a lot of thought put into it. I also thought the same for the other four sides who used it, and the other 6 who planned to in the future.

Sydney FC. No problem with that. Perth Glory... Not great, but hey they dominate and we're all jealous. Melbourne Victory...i can only see this as a play on words to represent the whole state, otherwise, somebody should shout them a club names book.

Newcastle Jets. hahaha, awful name. Central Coast Mariners, I like this because it prevented another team being called United.

But New Zealand Knights? Come on guys, that has nothing to do with new zealand there are thousands of better names they could've come up with. And I hope the managers dont get reported for child abuse after wrestling the logo design off a six year old.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

A-League names are disappointing across the board. It goes back to the NSL and they haven't changed.

I'm covering old ground but no one of influence listens to me so I'll keep ranting until they do.

I've never been a fan of the intangibles. GLORY, VICTORY, (th)RUSH, POWER. They have no resonance with the area itself except that they were thought up in a boardroom in that city by a marketing firm paid squillions to do so. It's almost as though they are choosing as non-partisan name as possible should they decide to relocate the "franchise".

Then you have the unimaginative FC's and UTDs. Again, this is an attempt at trendy English attatchments. To me, Adelaide deserves "UTD" because it best describes the evolution of their team. FC is boring.

Mariners is probably the best one. Unfortunately there is the Superleague baggage that name carries.

Knights - where's the significance???

guy41
Bronze

Post by guy41 »

The Knights are named apparently because they are a group of people dedicated to completing their tasks. I think the New Zealanders may have taken it because Knights are traditionally silver?

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

guy41 wrote:The Knights are named apparently because they are a group of people dedicated to completing their tasks.
Terrible link.

james_
Silver

Post by james_ »

Jeffles wrote:Then you have the unimaginative FC's and UTDs. Again, this is an attempt at trendy English attatchments. To me, Adelaide deserves "UTD" because it best describes the evolution of their team. FC is boring.
They're all FCs! Football Clubs! Geelong Football Club, Carlton Football Club, St Kilda Football Club, Chelsea Football Club, Everton Football Club, Manchester United Football Club, and so on, and so on, and so on.

I think some people forget this and think that 'FC' is Sydney's nickname.

As for 'United'... I agree Adelaide are entitled to use the term given the club's history. I feel the Queensland Lions should be Brisbane United given the task ahead for the Richlands-based club to 'unite' Brisbane's soccer community. Unfortunately, Brisbane Utd is the former name of the Strikers!

As for Newcastle United Jets... :roll: Man U aren't the Manchester United Red Devils.

The New Zealand (sic) Knights will probably have a castle in the corner of North Harbour Sta... oh wait, Canterbury already does that in the Super 12! Oh well.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

james_ wrote:They're all FCs! Football Clubs! Geelong Football Club, Carlton Football Club, St Kilda Football Club, Chelsea Football Club, Everton Football Club, Manchester United Football Club, and so on, and so on, and so on.

I think some people forget this and think that 'FC' is Sydney's nickname.
I certainly do. I think this use of FC here is a branding exercise rather than a statement of function. This is because FC isn't used in this country for local soccer teams.

james_
Silver

Post by james_ »

Let's Go FCs! :lol:
Jeffles wrote:I think this use of FC here is a branding exercise rather than a statement of function.
Sure. I guess it comes back to the notion of 'new football'.

guy41
Bronze

Post by guy41 »

Jeffles wrote:
guy41 wrote:The Knights are named apparently because they are a group of people dedicated to completing their tasks.
Terrible link.

From nzsoccer.com

Definition of Knight:
1. A man belonging to an order or brotherhood.
2. A defender, champion, or zealous upholder of a cause or principle. (This applies equally to midfielders, strikers and goalkeepers in our case!)

My attention span is minimal. Somebody finish this post of for me, im going to whip cup cakes. HUAAAHH! *Slap*

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

And Im going to cry my eyes out at the launch if they change Perth Glory to Western Glory...it will be heartbreaking...it hit the west australian soccer liftout this morning.

Please Glory do not do this to me...blood sweat and tears have been shed with the name Perth Glory...not Western Glory
:cry:

I worry about Glory heading too corporated with the club being floated on the sharemarket in February i just dont want us to turn into a bitch of a club like Man Utd.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Western Glory :lol:

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

If I was not so upset with the news...I may have seen the funny side :wink:

I may have to boycott all new Glory merchandise if it does happen...they are having a referendum on daylight savings and shopping hours at the next election...the Glory's name change is even more crucial then that :!:

I dont care if were the only state in the world that doesnt let big business open on a sunday and that we are more time orientated towards asia then eastern australia...I do care that we KEEP OUR NAME.

they should give a vote to members...or at least do a paper poll.