Soccer World Cup In The USA

Chat about stadiums in New Zealand and all around the world!
Timbo
Silver

Soccer World Cup In The USA

Post by Timbo »

I was a bit younger when this went on, and have a sketchy memory of it, I was wondering if anyone could direct me to a site or at least give me a list of the stadiums that were used.

guy41
Bronze

gfgd

Post by guy41 »

Im getting this info from here, so dont consider me clever http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/p/pwc/r/1994.html

Rose Bowl, Los Angeles, California
Stanford Stadium, San Francisco, California
Pontiac Silverdome, Detroit, Michigan
Cotton Bowl, Dallas, Texas
Soldier Field, Chicago, Illinois
Foxboro Stadium, Foxboro (Boston), Massachusetts
Giants Stadium....New jersey?
Citrus Bowl, Orlando, Florida
RFK Memorial Stadium, Washington, DC

Timbo
Silver

Post by Timbo »

Ah thanks alot. I'm suprised there weren't more venues used.

james_
Silver

Post by james_ »

Ah... 1994, such a long time ago... not really.

Sathc
Bronze

Post by Sathc »

Giants Stadium....New jersey?
Yep that's right. The home of the New York Giants and New York Jets is located in New Jersey

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

New Jersey, New York, basically the same place now with conurbation, both cities are mirrored, so its not a huge issue.

It is a bit wierd though, New York Jets and Giants playing in a different state, to which they represent.

james_
Silver

Post by james_ »

Which topic did we discuss that in recently? :wink:

Nine host cities in a country 9,363,405 square kilometres in size. Compare that to Germany 2006 where the venues are located within an area that would fit between Brisbane and Newcastle.

Wasn't it Baggio that missed for Italy? Poor soul.

Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

Post by Cheesie-the-Pirate »

Egan wrote:New Jersey, New York, basically the same place now with conurbation, both cities are mirrored, so its not a huge issue.
Can anyone say "Urban Planning Student"?

tom
Bronze

Post by tom »

Wasn't it Baggio that missed for Italy? Poor soul
Yes it was, can you guy's also remeber that Columbian guy who kick the own goal against the US in a bungled pass to the goalie. Remember how he was murdered when he returned home, I think shot 12 times in the head.

Also 94 is remebered scientificly because of the Michigan State University's work into putting a real grass field into the Pontiac Silverdome. The Technology seemed to be a one off though, espessially now with the invent of sports turf.

guy41
Bronze

sfssfd

Post by guy41 »

Makes sense cause i remember hearing that the fifa world youth championships in finland was the first fifa tournament to use artifical surfaces.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

HMS Cheesemaker wrote:
Egan wrote:New Jersey, New York, basically the same place now with conurbation, both cities are mirrored, so its not a huge issue.
Funny, because... he isn't an urban planning student :)

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

To be a smart arse, well I may be one anyway, here is another one of my oodles of useless facts

From Philidelphia to New York their is a near continuous line of urban conurbations called a Megalopolis, the only example of its kind in the world.

Thanks to Yr 12 Geography...not an urban planner...although would be a fantastic job.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

yob wrote:
HMS Cheesemaker wrote:
Funny, because... he isn't an urban planning student :)
It's a lonely club.

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

Egan wrote:To be a smart arse, well I may be one anyway, here is another one of my oodles of useless facts

From Philidelphia to New York their is a near continuous line of urban conurbations called a Megalopolis, the only example of its kind in the world.

Thanks to Yr 12 Geography...not an urban planner...although would be a fantastic job.

You're kidding right? :shock: In the words of John McEnroe you cannot be serious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Always interested in it...please explain the shortfalls in the job occupation, am not going to become a Urban Planner though.

Have always loved the Game Sim City 4 and that is why I would love to become an urban planner...although my passion for journalism is greater.