Excess soccer stadiums?

Chat about stadiums in New Zealand and all around the world!
Smackintosh
Bronze

Excess soccer stadiums?

Post by Smackintosh »

What happens to all the amazing stadiums that are built for tournaments such as the 2002 world cup, Euro 2004 and 2006 World Cup.

None of these countries (South Korea, Japan, Portugal, Germany) have the biggest soccer leagues in the world (i know it is massive in portugal and germany but it never looks full on tv) so what do they do with all of the 40,000+ stadiums that are built. Use them in a budget national league at half capacity?

Hiraldo
Silver

Re: Excess soccer stadiums?

Post by Hiraldo »

Smackintosh wrote:What happens to all the amazing stadiums that are built for tournaments such as the 2002 world cup, Euro 2004 and 2006 World Cup.

None of these countries (South Korea, Japan, Portugal, Germany) have the biggest soccer leagues in the world (i know it is massive in portugal and germany but it never looks full on tv) so what do they do with all of the 40,000+ stadiums that are built. Use them in a budget national league at half capacity?
Portugal - Some are being (or have been) lowered in capacity since Euro.

Germany - The bigger the better. The 1.Bundesliga has the highest average attendance for any soccer league in the world. In fact, the capacities of many (if not all) of the stadiums will be even larger after the WC as standing room will replace thousands of seats.

I don't know about South Korea and Japan.

Smackintosh
Bronze

Post by Smackintosh »

hmm, i didn't know that about the German league. EPL, Spanish League and Italian League get all the press here so all I've seen on the GErman league is the occassional short on SBS so i am no expert.

It would be great if Australia got a world cup in the next two or three decades. It would be great for the A-League and Super 14 (probably 20 by then). Sorry didn't mean to change the topic of the thread.

JF_Bay22_SCG
Bronze

Re: Excess soccer stadiums?

Post by JF_Bay22_SCG »

Smackintosh wrote:What happens to all the amazing stadiums that are built for tournaments such as the 2002 world cup, Euro 2004 and 2006 World Cup.

WTF. The Bundesliga averages over 36000 patrons per match, and is the 2nd most watched league in the world outside the NFL in the States.
http://www.worldfootballrankings.com/

Every WC2006 stadium is Germany with the exception of Leipzig hosts a team in the 1ste Bundesliga. Yes, Leipzig is the odd one out, but I guess they had to show a bit of support to depressed former GDR. Fc Sachsen Leipzig and Vfb Leipzig play in the lower leagues. Hopefully with a better facility, better football will come.

The stadiums will all be state of the art facilities with great views of the action. Only in Berlin and Stuggitown will there be running tracks. And Berlin's is in Hertha blue in any case.

Check out this URL to find out moe about the WM2006 Stadien.
http://www.stadionwelt.de/stadionwelt_s ... nd=wm_2006

JF FC Bayern Fanclub Australia

Scott
Bronze

Post by Scott »

Smackintosh wrote:hmm, i didn't know that about the German league. EPL, Spanish League and Italian League get all the press here so all I've seen on the GErman league is the occassional short on SBS so i am no expert.
The average attendance in the Bundesliga over the past 2 weekends was 35600, compared to 35861 in the EPL. Italy & Spain last weekend was 26260 & 24450.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Many of the Japanese and Korean Stadiums had athletics tracks...one of my pet hates :x

But they were dual purpose venues and Im thinking football in those countries would be going phsycho after the advertisement and the way World Cup brought elation and happiness to millions of people.

Fantastic to see 1,000,000 people sitting watching the game in Seoul's CBD, all in Red, a magnificent site.

The shirt was sold out completely at the World Cup...knowone could get a ticket.

I am thinking that the places that have World Cups have genuine capacity for the stadiums, with support overwelming, the same will happen in South Africa with the infrastructure provided by the World Cup bringing more fans to the games.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Portuguese League crowds are pretty hopeless outside of FC Porto, Benfica and Sporting Lisbon.

That's what you get when those three clubs have won all but two of the league titles in the past 100 years. Further, they have 4 of the 9 games live on Free To Air TV (which my relatives tell me has kept many people at home).

Hiraldo is right. Many regional stadiums are or will be scaled down.

JF_Bay22_SCG
Bronze

Post by JF_Bay22_SCG »

Scott wrote:The average attendance in the Bundesliga over the past 2 weekends was 35600, compared to 35861 in the EPL. Italy & Spain last weekend was 26260 & 24450.
But that does include a Wednesday night round. For example-Bayern Wolfsburg which should be getting 63000 only got just over 30000.

JF

JF_Bay22_SCG
Bronze

Post by JF_Bay22_SCG »

Jeffles wrote:Portuguese League crowds are pretty hopeless outside of FC Porto, Benfica and Sporting Lisbon.

That's what you get when those three clubs have won all but two of the league titles in the past 100 years. Further, they have 4 of the 9 games live on Free To Air TV (which my relatives tell me has kept many people at home).

Which is the strange one with the cliff behind the goals? I don't think I have seen a weirder looking stadium (the Hardturm in Zurich aside).

4 out of 9 games on free to air. hmm that never hurts the AFL! :wink:

JF

james_
Silver

Post by james_ »

Estádio Municipal de Braga.

DH
Silver

Post by DH »

Average home attendance for European clubs (2003-4 league matches):

Borussia Dortmund - 78,808 (GER)
Real Madrid - 70,990
Barcelona - 69,727
Manchester United - 67,646
Milan - 61,334
Schalke 04 - 61,103 (GER)
Celtic - 58,437
Internazionale - 56,897
Roma - 55,413
Bayern Munich - 52,385 (GER)
Newcastle United - 51,927
Marseille - 51,914
Rangers - 49,158
Ajax - 48,998
Lazio - 48,989
Hamburg - 46,961 (GER)
Manchester City - 46,730
Valencia - 46,000
Atletico Madrid - 43,333
Liverpool - 42,933

I guess ze Germans can justify having an abundance of stadiums... they're up there up with the big boys.

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

Jeffles wrote:Portuguese League crowds are pretty hopeless outside of FC Porto, Benfica and Sporting Lisbon.

Outside these three, Portugal is a joke with crowds in the hudreds. The two other clubs which have won titles, Belenenses and Boavista are located, suprise surprise in Lisbon and Porto and also have a reasonable supporter base but nothing compared to the big trio.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

The crowds I'e seen were not in the hundreds. They were around 3000 odd but I wouldn't be surprised if they slipped lower.

Outside Lisbon and Porto there are no really big cities.

stadiumking
Gold

Post by stadiumking »

james_ wrote:Image

Estádio Municipal de Braga.
that's just awesome
what's the capacity (excuse my ignorance if you mentioned it before)?
a really great stadium........obviously it's the location (and the cliff thing) that does it

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

Jeffles wrote:The crowds I'e seen were not in the hundreds. They were around 3000 odd but I wouldn't be surprised if they slipped lower.

Outside Lisbon and Porto there are no really big cities.
Admittedly I haven't been to a game in Portugal but from matches I have seen on TV I have witnessed bigger crowds in the VPL (Victorian Premier League).