2006 World Cup Final Stadium

Chat about stadiums in New Zealand and all around the world!
Hiraldo
Silver

Post by Hiraldo »

I was watching Hertha Berlin play Bayern Munchen on SBS a week or so ago at the Olympic Stadium and I was very impressed by the place. I strongly reiterate my commets about its intimidating, dark and cold feeling (it was winter in Germany though :lol: ). It's very surruel seeing a perfectly lit up field surrounded by darkness yet hearing the sound of 70,000+ people who are difficult to see as the stands receive very little light (grey seats don't help). On TV the only part of the stadium you can see during general play is most of the large sloping bottom tier which makes the stadium look like it goes on forever. I haven't been able to find a good picture of the stadium when this game was being played but here's the best pic I could find of it during the night (it's not lit up like it would be during a match though):

Maybe I'm just talking wank. Tell me what you think of the place. It's one of my favourites.

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

When did they roof the Olympiastadion?

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Bloody impressive but still a long way from the action.

tom
Bronze

Post by tom »

I'm not sure if they did this but it was planned for the arena floor (athletics track and all) to sit on a platform suported by hydrolics or a pond. For soccer the floor would be lowered and seating put infront of the stand to a more respectable distance. I never read anything during construction to say this was scraped so maybe it will happen during the world cup finals. The field work was done during the 2002 world cup because of the extended break being the only window but that could have been just resurfacing.

As for the dark stands, I love it. It give a theatre/cinema feel with the spot light on the play, not unlike the Perth Entertainment Centre when Basketball was there.

Tancred
Bronze

Post by Tancred »

Jeffles wrote:Bloody impressive but still a long way from the action.
I saw Hertha Berlin play Bochum in Feb and I was rather surprised just how good this stadium is. The crowd sit on top of the running track and there is no wasted space between the running track and the pitch. It's actually a rather small ground so everything is sort of intimate.

As part of the rebuilding all the seats are new and the concrete they sit in is new so the sight lines are modern and excellent.

The roof was almost all up when I was there so when it started snowing, sitting in the dark stand the effect was very impressive.

JF_Bay22_SCG
Bronze

Post by JF_Bay22_SCG »

Hiraldo wrote:I was watching Hertha Berlin play Bayern Munchen on SBS a week or so ago at the Olympic Stadium and I was very impressed by the place. I strongly reiterate my commets about its intimidating, dark and cold feeling (it was winter in Germany though :lol: ).
As a bundesliga officinado I am disapointed that the ground still has the Tartanbahn around the playing arena (in Hertha BSC blue though!). I know it is historic I guess but i don't really like the gap at one end. They shunt the away fans up that end, which totally wrecks the atmosphere.

The ground has been slagged by the German Ultras scene. German fans are very very protective of the fact that they choose to continue to defy UEFA's audict and keep standing terraces. In Berlin they is NO terracing. They have chosen it to be like that, and the fans are NOT happy. Hence people have to pay more for a set seat, one that they will never stand in either.

Look at these pictures of the Herthaner Ultras. Pretty average for a club in a city as big as Berlin. I had tried chanting at the oppositin goalie from 100 metres away. You give up after a while. I couldn't imagine it would be any better at the Berliner Oly as it is at the Muenchener one.

http://www.stadionwelt-fanfotos.de/stad ... HA_bmg.htm

http://www.stadionwelt-fanfotos.de/stad ... ha_fcb.htm

JF

Hiraldo
Silver

Post by Hiraldo »

JF_Bay22_SCG wrote:
Hiraldo wrote:I was watching Hertha Berlin play Bayern Munchen on SBS a week or so ago at the Olympic Stadium and I was very impressed by the place. I strongly reiterate my commets about its intimidating, dark and cold feeling (it was winter in Germany though :lol: ).
As a bundesliga officinado I am disapointed that the ground still has the Tartanbahn around the playing arena (in Hertha BSC blue though!). I know it is historic I guess but i don't really like the gap at one end. They shunt the away fans up that end, which totally wrecks the atmosphere.

The ground has been slagged by the German Ultras scene. German fans are very very protective of the fact that they choose to continue to defy UEFA's audict and keep standing terraces. In Berlin they is NO terracing. They have chosen it to be like that, and the fans are NOT happy. Hence people have to pay more for a set seat, one that they will never stand in either.
I can understand why it's a bit of a let down as far as the Bundesliga is concerned but for a WC (or any major event for that matter) it is IMO magnificient and a nice change from the standard three tier wrap-arounds that have popped up seemingly wherever there is a need for a new 60,000+ capacity stadium.