Auckalnd needs a new stadium NOW!

Chat about stadiums in New Zealand and all around the world!
IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

Egan wrote:Kingz - 1000 a game in the old NSL in Auckland.

When they went to Wellington they got over 14,000 in a one off match.

Rugby League - great crowds.

AFL - A fantastic support basis they got from playing a game in Wellington.

Christchurch, Dunedin, Invercargill...surely their is a ferry that the cars can come across...Wellington is on the very tip of the south island...within swimming distance of the south island.

Auckland are a very fickle bunch, they love a winner. When the Warriors were playing awesome Rugby League last year they had many sell outs at Ericsson Stadium...this year crowds were between 5-6000.

The arguments spent its course...although I think Hamilton maybe a good location if Wellington is none to popular...which it seems it is not.

Although I don't see a major stadium being built in New Zealand until they bid for a Commonwealth Games in the next 7 years...and that could mean any city in the country could get the major stadium.
The NSL in Wellington was a one off. The League in Wellington has been cancelled because the Bulldogs would get better crowds in Sydney. AFL was a one off as well. The Warriors wouldn't leave Ericsson, not in a million years. The Warriors also still averaged over 10,000. Besides, Union is not a minority sport. It would probably be the major tenant for the ground.

Also, Ericsson was modified for the 1990 Commonwealth games. The North (interestingly enough, it is removable), South and East stands are built on the running track, the West (TV side) was built for the games, if i remember correctly.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

james_ wrote:f**k off - that's like saying all league supporters' are SCUM.
I agree. We're not all scum. MOST of us are. :lol: