Lord's

Chat about stadiums in New Zealand and all around the world!
james_
Silver

Lord's

Post by james_ »

A blanket of snow has covered the whole field at Lord's Cricket Ground.
Anyone for cricket?!

Please keep off the grass!

perthsmike
Bronze

Post by perthsmike »

WOW! hahaha i've never seen a stadium like that! could you imgaine if the MCG was covered in snow - now that would be kool.

mike

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Get your skates, we're off to the cricket! :lol:

I've been to Lord's. Nice small ground. I was more impressed by the museum though.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Bruce Stadium a few years ago was a bit like that.

Hmm Lords, have never thought it was anything special. But I spoze an Ashes test between Australia and England there would be an amazing buzz.

swede
Bronze

Post by swede »

Lord´s may not seem much, but its by far the best there is in England and also the biggest with 28.000 seats.
Its a good ground with many seats with a great view, and as for its size you can certainly argue how big cricket grounds should be. Its consistently voted as the best in the world, which is perhaps stretching it a bit. What it really needs is an expansion at the nursery end (where the media center sits) this would give good views and take the capacity towards 40.000. It remains underdeveloped, because there is another smaller cricket ground behind it.

swede
Bronze

Post by swede »

perthsmike wrote:WOW! hahaha i've never seen a stadium like that! could you imgaine if the MCG was covered in snow - now that would be kool.

mike
hmm never..I guess you never really play games down there, that are turned into farce by the white stuff..
It doesnt happen at top level, though, as grounds have undersoil heating. I guess you dont need that, can it never freeze?
In the old days in England pitches were completly covered with layers of straw, when frost was promised, and removed close to KO

F1
Bronze

Post by F1 »

wow what are the dimensions of that ground? What a tiny outfield!
Do you think you could fit an AFL game on that size ground?
If so, they should make all cricket grounds in that size in Australia, looks like you get pretty close to the action.

Misty Bee
Bronze

Post by Misty Bee »

Wow. What great pics!

Still, Pommy grounds must be used to snow. There was a famous RL test played at Swinton in the snow in 1970. AUstralia won, of course!

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Lords dimensions are small. It is square shaped. Smaller than the SCG. MAybe to small for an Aussie Rules match. It is probably the width of North Sydney Oval but it maintains that width all around hence making it seem OK.

You could expand at the Nursery end . That may encroach on that lovely playing field behind it. It may also be difficult without knocking down the media centre (which cost millions of pounds). But an extra level of seats adding about 3000 couyld be done without upsetting the centre or the little field.

I think it is a good size for English Crowds. Certainly the best ground in England.

my eagle eye
Bronze

Post by my eagle eye »

Yeah Canberra played the west tigers in the snow at Canberra stadium did they not?

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Last edited by yob on Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

swede
Bronze

Post by swede »

yob wrote:
swede wrote:and as for its size you can certainly argue how big cricket grounds should be.
http://www.austadiums.com/sport/event.php?eventid=1313

64,000?
true, that would be fitting, if you dont mind most events taking place in the depressive atmosphere of a half empty stadium.

Anyway, I actually meant the size of the playing area

peterss
Bronze

Post by peterss »

yep some great pics there james_ and i agree with egan that i have never thought much of lords but an ashes test there would be awesome to see

redback_original
Silver

Post by redback_original »

Good question Swede - about the size of the grounds. The SCG is a great size for cricket - it's not too small that batsmen can't run threes (like some South African grounds) but spectators are still nice and close to the action.

Which brings me to this point. Since the advent of boundary ropes, has CA been following any sort of standard fied size in its placement of the rope?

Oh and whilst this thread is about Lords - just one thing - does Lords have the biggest slope in the world? It's quite noticeable at the Media end with the top tier's 'gap' with the bottom tier twice as big at one end than the other and yet the tier is obviously level.