New Juventus Stadium unveiled

Chat about stadiums in New Zealand and all around the world!
s3tTz
Bronze

New Juventus Stadium unveiled

Post by s3tTz »

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=5_NRPJnn-NI

http://studiogau.it/gallery/cat0120/index.html
Juve unveil new stadium plans
21 November 2008 | 07:30 - AAP

Juventus presented plans for a new 40,000-seat stadium Thursday that will be built on the site of the old Stadio Delle Alpi.

Juventus has played in the rebuilt 25,442-seat Stadio Olimpico the past two seasons and wants to move back into a bigger facility.

The new stadium, which will be named after a sponsor, will cost an estimated $A206.77 million and be ready by May 2011. Construction is set to begin in March.

The stadium - with no running track - will feature luxury boxes and a commercial centre.

Juventus president Giovanni Cobolli Gigli said fans at the new stadium will sit so close to the action that they will be able "to hear player's voices and the typical sounds of a football match."

"Juventus is the first club in Italy that will have a stadium all its own, and that's a source of great pride," Cobolli Gigli added. "It's also gives the club a chance to diversify its revenue and find new sources for future investments."
Stadium plans delight Del Piero
22 November 2008 | 08:14 - PA Sport

Juventus have unveiled plans for a new 40,200-seat stadium to be built on the site of its former home, the Stadio Delle Alpi.

Architects Hernando Suarez and Gino Zavanella have led the design project for the ground that is set to become Juventus' home from the 2011-12 season at a cost of 105 million euros ($A209.6million).

Unlike the unpopular Delle Alpi, the stadium will have no running track in order to foster an intense atmosphere for football matches. Luxury executive boxes and a commercial centre, which is set to open seven days a week, will also be part of the development.

Juventus president Giovanni Cobolli Gigli told the club's official television channel: "Today the home for all Juventus fans is born. A modern and safe stadium to enjoy the matches with more intensity not only by watching from just a few metres from the field but by listening to all the sounds and voices typical of a football match.

"Juventus is the first club in Italy to have its very own stadium and this is a reason to be proud. It is also a great opportunity for the club to diversify its income and find different means to invest in the future."

Speaking at a press conference alongside club director general Jean Claude Blanc, Juventus captain and record goalscorer Alessandro Del Piero said: "I'm quite emotional.

"Once again Juve have proven to be number one with a new and also bold project, not only from an economic standpoint, but also from a safety point of view because football has experienced many tragedies.

"In three years' time we'll no longer have to be jealous of the stadia of Milan, Manchester United and Real Madrid.

"It is a fantastic moment. It is a project that brings great pride to me and many that have accompanied Juve for many more years."

Juventus currently play at the 27,500-capacity Stadio Olimpico di Torino.

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

Impressive stuff. Although one does have to wonder about the proposed capacity. Surely 40,000 for a club the size of Juventus is not going to cut it if fans finally have a great stadium. You compare this to Tottenham Hotspurs recent places, a club that really isn't in the same class and they are heading towards 60,000.
Will be good to see that they can finally get away from ground sharing with Torino. Also Stadio Delle Alpi has got to have had of the shortest life spans for a stadium in the world, that was designed to be long lasting.

james_
Silver

Post by james_ »

beastjim wrote:Surely 40,000 for a club the size of Juventus is not going to cut it if fans finally have a great stadium.
Serie A match attendances are quite poor though aren't they?

Juventus' average home attendance is just over 22,000.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

I like the design. With all corners filled in an a large roof, the crowd will be close to the action and very vocal.

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

james_ wrote:
beastjim wrote:Surely 40,000 for a club the size of Juventus is not going to cut it if fans finally have a great stadium.
Serie A match attendances are quite poor though aren't they?

Juventus' average home attendance is just over 22,000.
If your talking current/last season then they have only based themselves out of the 25000 capacity Torino stadium. Certainly wiki has their average crowd figures up much higher when based out of Delle Alpi. Maybe 40,000 is right for juve and the club would prefer to have it sold out each week with a lot of demand forcing up prices.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

It has exactly the same layout as Old Trafford did when I first started following English footy back in the early-90s. Blast from the past.

Jim's reasoning is about right. The Delle Alpi is too big and fans have got used to picking and choosing which games they go to (Torino, Milan, Iner, Roma and Lazio games and big euro ties) and not really bothering with other games. They're a little like NRL fans.

So a smaller capacity will "incentivise" fans to buy season tickets. Which means that the lower status games will also have big crowds or at least more seats paid for even if people don't show.

Over the course of a season it means that aggregate attendances will increase and Juve can also get that money up front before the start of the season.

It's good business.

edit:- does the stadium have two tiers or just the one??

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Two. About halfway through the video you see a shot of the inside.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

ah. Okay, from above it looks like old Old Trafford.

AboveTheLaw
Bronze

Post by AboveTheLaw »

Its a great stadium, a lot like the Jose Alvalade in Lisbon. I like the pattern on the seats, a player kicking a ball, not just the usual JUVE or JFC crap. I just hope other Italian teams will follow suit.

RobertHeatleyStand
Silver

Post by RobertHeatleyStand »

Delle Alpi in the process of being torn down...

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

:D :D :D

my sig in action. And no other stadium deserved it more.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

my previous sig in action :P

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

How do Juventus fans feel though?

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

Egan wrote:How do Juventus fans feel though?
Going by my hunch I reckon they would be doing donuts in their scooters.

swede
Bronze

Post by swede »

Great to see that horrible stadium coming down.

Hopefully this can be a new beginning for italian football. It looks a good venue, nothing spectacular, but its a first for Italy as far as quality and ownership goes. If it means that Juventus are also going to get serious about security and everything else related to their matches in their stadium, I am sure it will be a big succes and the rest of Italy will then hopefully follow and normal sane people could once again attend football there.