Rose Bowl Development

Chat about stadiums in New Zealand and all around the world!
bazza
Silver

Rose Bowl Development

Post by bazza »

The Rose Bowl cricket ground in Southampton is adding an extra 5,000 seats bringing the capacity to about 25,000

I wonder if it is due for an Ashes test soon

http://www.rosebowlplc.com/news/new-dev ... ermission/

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Well it hasn't got a Test for 2009 but it's probably still a good idea. The upgrade mentions a big increase in corporates. Domestic Twenty20 is taking off and their are pyjama internationals as well.

Dr H
Bronze

Post by Dr H »

Great news I'll post piccies when the work starts :D

The most modern and second biggest test ground in the northern hemisphere and a 4 star UEFA stadium mean facilities wise Southampton is really punching above it's weight ....just a shame about the teams that play in them :x

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

25k...making it the second biggest test ground in the northern hamisphere...... :lol: Your just not serious about the game are you.

bazza
Silver

Post by bazza »

Dr H wrote:second biggest test ground in the northern hemisphere
I am guessing that India has at least a couple of test grounds over 25,000

swede
Bronze

Re: Rose Bowl Development

Post by swede »

bazza wrote:The Rose Bowl cricket ground in Southampton is adding an extra 5,000 seats bringing the capacity to about 25,000

It looks good but it just means theyre keeping up with the rest. Just about all grounds are being redeveloped. At least three were expanded this winter and some 8-10 are planning to.

Lords is set for a massive ½ billion dollar redevelopment taking capacity towards 40,000 while the Oval will reach 30,000 and possibly become the finest ground in the world in my opinion.

Those two stand out. The Rose Bowl will be one of the rest and probably do well to stage a test every three years as is the plan for Cardiff

Ironically, with all these expansion projects, overall capacity for the 09 ashes will actually be smaller than 05 as two grounds have been replaced with slightly smaller ones.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

swede wrote:
bazza wrote:The Rose Bowl cricket ground in Southampton is adding an extra 5,000 seats bringing the capacity to about 25,000

It looks good but it just means theyre keeping up with the rest. Just about all grounds are being redeveloped. At least three were expanded this winter and some 8-10 are planning to.

Lords is set for a massive ½ billion dollar redevelopment taking capacity towards 40,000 while the Oval will reach 30,000 and possibly become the finest ground in the world in my opinion.

Those two stand out. The Rose Bowl will be one of the rest and probably do well to stage a test every three years as is the plan for Cardiff

Ironically, with all these expansion projects, overall capacity for the 09 ashes will actually be smaller than 05 as two grounds have been replaced with slightly smaller ones.
The last grandstand they constructed is probably the best modern cricket stand in world cricket.

Interesting Lords being upgraded to 40,000. This public or members seats?

swede
Bronze

Post by swede »

Egan wrote:
swede wrote:

The last grandstand they constructed is probably the best modern cricket stand in world cricket.

Interesting Lords being upgraded to 40,000. This public or members seats?
well, public, I guess, but I dont know what rights MCC-members have away from the pavillion.
The real issue is more about the number of debentures that the MCC will sell to fund the expansion. Debentures are being offered at around £10,000 which only buys the right to buy a seat at face value for 8 years.

Its an incredibly easy way to raise huge sums of money for developments. Twickenham have sold some 15,000 debentures at around £6,000 for 10 years meaning a quick £ 90 millon before a ticket is sold.

Its controversial, though, because it means less seats for normal people. The MCC need to sell enough but not too many.

Agree about the latest stand at the oval, and I think the other end will be just as good, though quite different. It will be two more or less identical stands either side of the pavillion. They should offer perfect views but they will also do much for the pavillion, which will be liberated from all the crap that is currently glued to it on three sides and stand alone as the centre piece of the ground rather than part of an ugly mess as currently.

The oval will then have no stand built in the 1900´s. It will all be from the 2000´s except the pavillion from the 1800´s

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Sounds good Swede.

Any artist impressions?

britishspud
Silver

Post by britishspud »

http://www.rosebowlplc.com/pages/new-developments/

when it's done it'll defo be one of the best cricket venues in the world..

swede
Bronze

Post by swede »

Egan wrote:Sounds good Swede.

Any artist impressions?
not from lords. They have only announced a shortlist of architects and will present the project next year, probably during the ashes test and then start the following winter, possibly only one stand a year.

In all five (of seven) stands are coming down. these two http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Nat_ ... ropped.jpg
There is little space so the replacements would probably be rather similar structures, just taller.

then a small third and then these two twin stands http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Lord ... ogress.jpg

The lower tier of those two stands are a joke. Its built like that to preserve a small nursery cricket ground on the other side and so far they insist that they still want to maintain that ground. They probably should give-up on that if they want to be sure to remain the no 1 ground in england. then the capacity could go well above 40,000

( EDIT: Ok impressively , I managed to f*** up and switch aroud the two pics above.... but anyway its all coming down. )

I have seen an impression of the new oval stand. cant remember where, but anyway, what makes it great is the way it fits in, not the stand itself. two small tiers, seperated by layers of corporate boxes.

Its also been delayed now, because of safety fears regarding the closenes of the big gas-container. Its pure comedy, but Surrey arent happy, asking authorities why it has suddenly become unsafe after 150 years and whether they plan to evacuate the many thousands of people who live in such mortal danger around the ground

redback_original
Silver

Post by redback_original »

I wonder whether they'll do anything about the famous 'slope' at Lords..

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

Lords was the only stadium tour i did on holidays.....and they mentioned the future extention of the grond. they could level the ground and add rows there, the only othe roption available to them is to demolish the stands across from the newest one (the southern edge) and build up against the road.

you would have to give the media centre a bit of space either side so it still stands by its self.....(totaly dig that building) i will get my photos organised and try and up load soon.