What's the most beautiful football stadium of the world?

Chat about stadiums in New Zealand and all around the world!
redback_original
Silver

Post by redback_original »

mattwinter
Bronze

Post by mattwinter »

jacobhalls
Bronze

Post by jacobhalls »

I like AWD Arena
Here are some good pictures of this beautiful stadium
It holds 49,000 and is home to Hannover 96 in the German Bundesliga.

jacobhalls
Bronze

Post by jacobhalls »

redback_original
Silver

Just because it's supposedly the beautiful game, doesn't necessarily mean all soccer stadia are beautiful.

Functional. Often. Beautiful - hold a bee.

Funnily enough (and just an observation) sometimes the best looking soccer stadiums are round - curves surrounding an oblong. Similar curves around an oval do not have the same impact.

When it comes to beauty of architectural design (not necessarily surroundings) you can't go past the members' and ladies' stands at the SCG.

sevans
Bronze

Post by sevans »

When it comes to beauty of architectural design (not necessarily surroundings) you can't go past the members' and ladies' stands at the SCG.
Unfortunately that is the only good part about the SCG. Sorry but all the other stands (including the new Trumper stand) lack a lot of character for mine. If it weren't for the members and ladies pavilions then the SCG would really have nothing going for it. They need to design stands that compliment the existing ones.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

sevans wrote: Unfortunately that is the only good part about the SCG. Sorry but all the other stands (including the new Trumper stand) lack a lot of character for mine. If it weren't for the members and ladies pavilions then the SCG would really have nothing going for it. They need to design stands that compliment the existing ones.
I mentioned when seeing the final design of the SCG Trumper Stand that it would have been good to have something exuberant rather then a plain stand. But then the crow made a good point in regarding to funding levels. It seems function dominates over looks...

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

Egan wrote:
sevans wrote: Unfortunately that is the only good part about the SCG. Sorry but all the other stands (including the new Trumper stand) lack a lot of character for mine. If it weren't for the members and ladies pavilions then the SCG would really have nothing going for it. They need to design stands that compliment the existing ones.
I mentioned when seeing the final design of the SCG Trumper Stand that it would have been good to have something exuberant rather then a plain stand. But then the crow made a good point in regarding to funding levels. It seems function dominates over looks...
I too love the ladies and members stand at the SCG... but funtionally they are a dog, just watch some of the 50+ members get up and down the stairs.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Of course there functionality is not going to be to todays standard.

However with a venue that has multiple stands, what would compmented it if it had unlimited funding available was a stand that was a modern day architectural wonder to compliment the old stuff. Make a statement for the generations of the future and to have a ground with the character of the past, mixed in with a visually stunning stand from 2008.

Hopefully with future redevelopments there is some money to add to the ground, other then just capacity - some style and character.

Although once in the Trumper stand, the addition of the statue is a great to touch. It looks a lot better in person then in photos

redback_original
Silver

I'm sick and tired of all the crap about Yabba.

sevans
Bronze

Post by sevans »

I think in stadiums there needs to be a mix between looking good and functionality. It's never hurt anyone to look at something nice, and it also just gives the ground a good feel. The SCG is one of the most famous grounds in the world, however if it weren't for the Ladies and Members stand then it would just be another white elephant. I would like to see a modern day stand compliment the older stands.

redback_original
Silver

sevans wrote:I think in stadiums there needs to be a mix between looking good and functionality. It's never hurt anyone to look at something nice, and it also just gives the ground a good feel. The SCG is one of the most famous grounds in the world, however if it weren't for the Ladies and Members stand then it would just be another white elephant. I would like to see a modern day stand compliment the older stands.
I agree. Although be careful of how you use the term 'white elephant'.

The Oval in London is a good example. Always known for the gasometer behind the field, they now have a arching stand that looks superb.

The SCG should have done the same.

The 360 stadium look has already been done quite well next door. The SCG should have gone more for the ''collection of stands" look that cricket grounds are better suited to.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

I think we on the forum have all be widely appreciative of what they have done to the Oval. Absolutely insane stand it has...

Kovas
Bronze

Post by Kovas »

San Siro in Italy - Such a beautiful exterior:

Olympiastadion in Berlin - I love the seating colour, blue track, gap on one end and the history.

I'll post some more as I remember them.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Olympic Stadion is my favourite venue in Europe by a country mile 8)