World Stadium You'd Most Like To Visit

Chat about stadiums in New Zealand and all around the world!
mono_mal
Bronze

Post by mono_mal »

My top 10 in no particular order
Wembley - To see a Challenge Cup rugby league grand final
Old Trafford - To watch a Test or World Cup rugby league final in front of a full crowd vs Australia
Suncorp Stadium - To watch a State of Origin
Headingley - To watch the English Super League local derby between Leeds and Bradford in front of a full house
The Jungle (Wheldon Road) - To watch my favourite English league team play Warrington
Lloyd Robson Oval - To watch the PNG Kumuls play a test in front of there fanatical supporters against suitable opposition such as the French Chanticleers
Pia - To watch the Pia Donkeys play in the Elite One in front of a crowd of 5000 (despite the Towns population being only 4000) against a fellow French league heavyweight such as UTC
Dolphin Oval - To watch a QLD Cup grand final
Olympic Stadium, Moscow - To watch a Victory Cup final in front of a 30 000+ crowd involving the Russian Bears national rugby league team.
Erriccson Stadium - To watch the Warriors play a home final or a NRL premiership game in front of a capacity crowd.

Smackintosh
Bronze

My favourites

Post by Smackintosh »

1) Montreal's Olympic stadium (also a baseball stadium). I have visited it, and while it is really run down due to the canadians general lack of enthusiasm for baseball, but it is truly amazing looking, even though it is nearly thirty years old, it still looks like something from the future. I wish the montreal government would put money into restoring it and getting the roof working again, but i doubt it will happen

2) Most of the american baseball stadiums, they have the most character out of any type of stadium. I especially like the ones with the retractable roofs, but the older more historic ones are also fun. My particular favourites are BanksOne ballpark in Arizona (mentioned earlier) Fenway park in Boston (with its green monster wall) Minute Maid Ballpark in Houston, The San Fransico Giants stadium where barry bonds hits homeruns into the bay :) The Seattle Marriners Safeco field, The Millwake Brewers field, The SkyDome in toronto

3) Houston's Reliant Stadium, and Arizona's upcoming football stadium for the Arizona Cardinal

Sorry there are like 50 stadiums in that list but i tried to put them in three groups

Can someone please explain to me how to post a picture because i have tonnes of great ones of olympic stadium, thanks

Sathc
Bronze

Post by Sathc »

1. upload the images from using a free image uploading website (I use www.imagehosting.us.com)

2. Once uploaded the site will give you a url for the image.

3. When typing your post type [img]the%20url%20of%20the%20image[/img] and it should work.

JF_Bay22_SCG
Bronze

Post by JF_Bay22_SCG »

I guess I'm lucky to have been to most of the stadiums in the world that I have wanted to. Wembley, Old Trafford, every ground in the AFL, the Muenchner Olympiastadion. Even the Lehener Stadion in Salzburg.

Here are some stadiums I'd like to go to.

-Westfalenstadion Dortmund. Go to http://www.nurderbvb.de for video downloads of what it is like in the 27000 strong Suedtribuene. Huge flags, flares, drums, a guy leading the singing with a loudhailer, just awesome. It is just a shame I just hate the club that plays there. And would ALWAYS support against them if given the opportunity.

-Camp Nou Barcelona. I want to go to Barcelona in general, so a trip to the ground would be a must. Barca are starting to regain their aura again after a few sad sorry years in the shadows of Real Madrid.

-Estadio Bernabeu. As much as I dislike Real Madrid and the way they just buy players willy nilly, I do want to see this ground. I do really want to see Madrid the city as well. Am told it is lovely, if you can get over the siestas everyone has in the middle of the day...

Candlestick Park. Despite being a supporter, I have never actually been to a 49ers game live. I want to wave my big red and white flag there, as I have at an FC Bayern match.

I went to the Champions League final in Milan in 2001. The San Siro is OK I guess. But nothing to right home about. The seats are cramped and have these crash barriers in front of them to stop people falling when they are moshing. I was in the 2nd back row and my big flag kept falling down between the seats, as the gradiant is very steep.

My favourite stadium anywhere, the Hamburger AOL Arena :x (Volksparkstadion fuer immer!). Just awesome facilities, not too big. Everyone really close to the action. And an awesome atmosphere, especially out of the Hamburger SV Stehplaetze. Would like to compare it with the Allianz Arena and Arena auf Schalke as well.

do want to get to South America one day. And check out the Maracana in Rio and Morumbi in Sao Paulo.

JF

JF_Bay22_SCG
Bronze

Re: My favourites

Post by JF_Bay22_SCG »

Smackintosh wrote:1) Montreal's Olympic stadium (also a baseball stadium). I have visited it, and while it is really run down due to the canadians general lack of enthusiasm for baseball, but it is truly amazing looking, even though it is nearly thirty years old, it still looks like something from the future. I wish the montreal government would put money into restoring it and getting the roof working again, but i doubt it will happen
I did the tour as well. It is a weird-looking place. Considering that Montreal has now lost their Expos, you can forget much being done to the place.

Really great, they build a stadium with a canpoy for a roodf. But forget that Montreal is in Quebec. And that temperates of -40 are not uncommon. They get lots of snow, that can come crashing through a roof made out of a canopy just when you have organised a car show or something.

I hear that even now days the Montrealais population are still paying for the games blow-out in their taxes. I can't see there being much use for the stadium in the near to mid future, unless the Alouettes CFL team starts moving more games there permanently (and not just the annual blockbuster derby against Ottawa.)

JF

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

JF_Bay22_SCG wrote: -Camp Nou Barcelona. I want to go to Barcelona in general, so a trip to the ground would be a must. Barca are starting to regain their aura again after a few sad sorry years in the shadows of Real Madrid.

-Estadio Bernabeu. As much as I dislike Real Madrid and the way they just buy players willy nilly, I do want to see this ground. I do really want to see Madrid the city as well. Am told it is lovely, if you can get over the siestas everyone has in the middle of the day...

JF
Real has better amenities than Barca. But Montjuic is such a lovely stadium in the middle of a beautiful precinct. If you are in Barca check it out.

Barcelona is a great city. I only spent three days there but fell in love with it. I stayed in a hostel in the Gothic Quarter just around the corner from the Dali museum. There wa sa champagne bar about 5 mins away. You could get a bottle of bubbly and two chorizo rolls for 4 euro. SENSATIONAL!!! I can see myself visitng there many times.

By comparison I found Madrid very slow. Baraca has siestas as well but it had an energy Madrid was clearly lacking. Madrid is a lovely city to look at. The palace and surrounding Sabatini Gardens were one of the most picturesque sights I saw.