World Cup 2011 - Stadia

Chat about stadiums in New Zealand and all around the world!
IanRitchie
Platinum

Re: World Cup 2011 - Stadia

Post by IanRitchie »

By Dan Parker
England's largest rugby tour operator has begun reserving hotel rooms in Australia for British World Cup fans wanting to avoid paying hugely hiked prices in New Zealand.
It's proving cheaper to charter planes to fly from Sydney and return than stay in hotels here.
“We have already chartered Qantas planes to fly over specifically to take Australian fans over and also fans from across the world,” says Warren Livingstone, operator of the official Australian Rugby Tour Company.
“Other tour operators have asked us to look into charters to take their passengers from Sydney and the Gold Coast to the game and back because it’s far cheaper to do that than stay in New Zealand.”
Mr Livingstone says fans can save up to 50 percent of their money by staying in Sydney or the Gold Coast and flying in on the day of matches.
He says he's now working with England's largest rugby tour operation to charter planes as well as cruise ships to avoid the steep accommodation costs.
Mr Livingstone has provided some evidence.
The Hilton has been offered for $1700 a night for a minimum stay of 10; nights at the Hyatt Regency have gone from $190 to $763.
Sky City Grand will cost over $1000, while the Ibis Hamilton has gone up 700 percent to $777 a night; the Grand Chancellor in Wellington has doubled to $859.
“You can see the hotel rates that people are charging are astronomical and there is a real danger nobody is going to come,” says Mr Livingstone.
But the World Cup organisers say $55 million of accommodation has been pre-sold and the Hospitality Association has accused the Australians of a beat-up.
“Well we are just suggesting that they take a deep breath and wait a bit,” says Bruce Robertson.
“There are going to be packages available that even the Australians can afford.”
The Hotel Council also says it isn't aware of any unfairly inflated rates and if there are, hotels will end up being the one paying.
“They absolutely know if they over charge to an exorbitant rate they simply will not get people in their rooms,” says Jane Langley of the Hotel Council.
“I'm not aware of gouging going on, I'm aware of prices that suit at the world's largest event.”

Regardless, both the Australian and the English tour operators are asking the New Zealand Government to investigate gouging.
3 News tried to put that to World Cup Minister Murray McCully and Tourism Minister John Key, but neither was available.
3 News
....the olympics?

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Isn't this the country that tourism magazines are always saying is the best place to travel to?

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Jeffles wrote:Isn't this the country that tourism magazines are always saying is the best place to travel to?
Don't waste your money on Rugby. Its the A-League match thats worth going to...

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Egan wrote:
Jeffles wrote:Isn't this the country that tourism magazines are always saying is the best place to travel to?
Don't waste your money on Rugby (union). Its the A-League match thats worth going to...
It's me you're talking to.

The best thing about this plan to put RUWC visitors in Sydney is that they'll get to see the best rugby in the world - the NRL.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

They may actually boost attendances during that month as they will not be scared of rain...

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

Jeffles wrote: The best thing about this plan to put RUWC visitors in Sydney is that they'll get to see the best rugby in the world - the NRL.
i'll be borrowing that, thank you.

crabs
Bronze

Post by crabs »

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

It does look good but boy is it a tough location. Can't wait to go on November 6.

Two comments about that video.

1. The retractable seatin in the southern stand does not extend right the way to the goals, meaning a smaller-than-I-expected cricket field in summer.

2. sh*t song - a low point for them.

Timbo
Silver

Post by Timbo »

Hmmmm I don't hate it anywhere near as much as I thought I would.

But I still am opposed to it because I was a massive fan of Stadium NZ.

In all seriousness, the time is surely approaching where Cricket NZ declare Eden and Lancaster off limits to cricket because of the total shitness of the grounds for the sport.

Auckland and Christchurch need a Hampshire Rose Bowl (or at the very least a Seddon Park) of their own.

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

crabs wrote: Image
the incomplete stand at the far end looks pretty funny looking at this stage. definitely looking forward to seeing it in person. apart from the location, it isn't as loathsome as i thought it would be.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

But you have to see Smeltzzzie......he's butter....much butter.

chief
Bronze

Post by chief »

What a joke the stadiums for this bid. I'm going to miss out on a lot of games next year because of this shitty bid and their shitty capacity stadiums. They should have chosen 8-10 stadiums. It's a joke and it's outraegous. Japan should have recieved it, or Italy. They made such a sh*t effort for their main stadium as well. It's very disappointing RWC is a class event, 3rd biggest, and it's a let down.

Yarrow Stadium
Dunedin Stadium
Waikato Stadium
Eden Park
North Harbour Stadium
Wellington Stadium
Christchurch Stadium
Southland Stadium
Rotorua
Whangeri

Timbo
Silver

Post by Timbo »

^^^

I suppose that's a fair point. The Rugby World Cup is the third or fourth biggest sporting event on earth (depending who you listen to) so to have some of those stadiums considered acceptable...

I mean, Australia blackballed EnergyAustralia in 2003 and instead played games in Gosford because of EAS's shitness. So to have grounds like Arena Manawatu, Trafalgar Park and Okara Park hosting games shows that the IRB is willing to go backwards to a degree.

alabakiwi
Bronze

Post by alabakiwi »

Below is the webcam link for the new stadium in Dunedin, Forsyth Barr Stadium. On Wednesday, weather permitting, they're going to hoist the first roof truss. Might be worth a look tomorrow.

http://www.dunedin.govt.nz/council-proj ... tadium-cam

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

^ I'm a big fan of Dunedin's venue...

Can't wait to visit it some day...