Capacity of Maracana

Chat about stadiums in New Zealand and all around the world!
RobertHeatleyStand
Silver

Post by RobertHeatleyStand »

Looks like it's finished...

britishspud
Silver

Post by britishspud »

i'm sure it's been finished for a while because one of our national sports radio stations has been keeping tabs on romario's attempt to score his 1000 goal,he was on 998 a couple or 3 weeks ago when he played @ the maracana infront of 80,000 people who turned up to see him score...which he did'nt :lol:

romario has since stopped playing in away games because he wants to score his last couple of goals @ the maracana..

gyfox
Platinum

Re: Capacity of Maracana

Post by gyfox »

The FIFA technical inspection report carried out in 2007 concluded that the Maracana was not suitable to be used for any World Cup games and required major modifications if it was going to be used in the 2014 World Cup. This despite the work shown in the images earlier in this thread. The FIFA recommendations which have been accepted by the owners include reducing capacity to 82,000.

Work to be carried out includes providing a roof to cover the entire 82,000 spectators, internal access ramps to enable the evacuation of the stadium in 8 minutes, new media, team and corporate facilities, replacement of all seating including work to improve sight lines and viewing distances. The major drivers appear to be spectator safety and viewing experience.

The blue colours used in the recent upgrade will be replaced by the original grey and the facade will remain basically intact as the venue has been classified as a national heritage building.

The stadium will be out of action for up to 3 years commencing September this year.

Just an interesting fact I found when researching the venue. The oval shape was adopted by the government of the day for stadia throughout the country as they believed this provided the optimum number of spectators for their dollar.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

^ And to allow for the future passion of AFL which would then make Football a second class citizen in Brazil.

RobertHeatleyStand
Silver

Post by RobertHeatleyStand »

New renders for the reconstruction are out. Not sure I like it tbh, looks a little too European for my liking. A single tier behind the goals and straight sidelines means this place loses all it's character.

Capacity is said to be reduced to about 76,000

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

I love the roof.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Looks as if its been built for athletics and for when ALF dominates Brazil...

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

Any reason for the single tier behind the goals?

Spirit of Santos
Bronze

Post by Spirit of Santos »

Not sure about the Maracana's specific case, but in in Europe there's a growing a sentiment in favour of large single tier stands behinds goals as it's thought to be both more atmospheric and more visually impressive then the Emirates/Eastlands style.

Along those lines, the original proposal for Tottenham's new ground was this:

http://nimg.sulekha.com/sports/original ... -10-12.jpg

I think it's a true enough concept, The Kop certainly is more impressive then the Stretford End and the single tier behind the goal at the Fritz Walter Stadion seems to out muscle the three at the Allianz Arena.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Interesting mate.

You are right about single tiers being more visually impressive. hibs ground looked outstanding on Saturday night. First time I had seen it...

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

I heard that the Maracana stadium has pulled out of Brazils bid due to a dispute with the Govt over funding

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

So the 2014 WC will be without a stadium in Brazil's largest city and without the main stadium in the second largest city.

England 2014, here we come!

Timbo
Silver

Post by Timbo »

Simmo79 wrote:So the 2014 WC will be without a stadium in Brazil's largest city and without the main stadium in the second largest city.

England 2014, here we come!
The Sao Paulo situation was resolved wasn't it? Morumbi was replaced by the new stadium Corinthians are building.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

ahh so

here it is with video fly-through http://www.corinthians.com.br/mobile/no ... sp?id=9756

Timbo
Silver

Post by Timbo »

Also, I guess if Macarana was rejected they could switch the Rio venue to Engenhão potentially?

Would mean the final would have to be moved though.