Mt Smart Stadium

Chat about stadiums in New Zealand and all around the world!
IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

Aaaah! Lookit!

quidgybo
Silver

Post by quidgybo »

Can somebody please tell me why on earth they built the new eastern stand leaving the running track on the western wing? Surely that was the time to rip the track up, move the field ten metres closer to the first row of seats and then build a new stand a similar distance away on the eastern side. Now we'll have to wait until the day we rebuild the western stand (which I bet they still screw up).

Leigh.

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

Its one that confuses me too. It was being suggested when the old stand was being demolished, but it never materialised.

My only guess is because the stadium is in a natural bowl there isn't a decent concourse for the front section of the west stand.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

IanRitchie wrote:Its one that confuses me too. It was being suggested when the old stand was being demolished, but it never materialised.

My only guess is because the stadium is in a natural bowl there isn't a decent concourse for the front section of the west stand.
thats even more reason to move the pitch...it would be the fault of the bloody project manager i bet

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

My expansion plans are so easy to see there.

Continue the East stand right around the whole stadium.

Mini Suncorp.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Why don't they lower the level of the field, and add some rows to the bottom of both stands?

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

IanRitchie wrote:
Egan wrote:Now for behind the goal posts.
Its not going to happen in a hurry, or at all at the north end.

Anyway, i like it as it is, and with the Warriors being the sole tenant at the moment, the council won't be willing to fund anything else.
someone get the knights in there! maybe people might start going to the games? isn't it a fair bit easier to get to (for the majority of auckland residents) than albany?

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

dibo wrote:
IanRitchie wrote:
Egan wrote:Now for behind the goal posts.
Its not going to happen in a hurry, or at all at the north end.

Anyway, i like it as it is, and with the Warriors being the sole tenant at the moment, the council won't be willing to fund anything else.
someone get the knights in there! maybe people might start going to the games? isn't it a fair bit easier to get to (for the majority of auckland residents) than albany?
Thats what i've been trying to tell everybody!

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

Farking tiny picture!

I need somewhere to upload the full size IMAX image.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Move it to Wellington, going to Ericsson won't make a difference at all.

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

Mt Smart is good.
Mr McGuinness said he liked the look of Mt Smart Stadium, compared to Sydney's Olympic Park where the band last played. The Telstra Dome, but whatever

"I really like the look of this stadium. It's particularly good because there's no running track. This is just about perfect in size."

He said he had been reading the papers and thought an inner-city stadium was the best option for Auckland.

"I think it's great to have stadiums in cities. If you can walk from the centre of the city to a stadium that makes it part of the life of the city."
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story ... D=10412140

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

IanRitchie wrote:Mt Smart is good.
Mr McGuinness said he liked the look of Mt Smart Stadium, compared to Sydney's Olympic Park where the band last played. The Telstra Dome, but whatever

"I really like the look of this stadium. It's particularly good because there's no running track. This is just about perfect in size."

He said he had been reading the papers and thought an inner-city stadium was the best option for Auckland.

"I think it's great to have stadiums in cities. If you can walk from the centre of the city to a stadium that makes it part of the life of the city."
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story ... D=10412140
couldn't find the quote in the article

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

lol, they've updated the article.

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

Google Earth has updated (some time ago, but i've got time to kill right now)

East Stand construction pictures

harls
Bronze

Re: Mt Smart Stadium

Post by harls »

um just finishing off my review cause i forgot all about it i spoke to someone from auckland regional council (landlords of mt smart? or caretakers) anyways i mentioned to them whether mt smart could be renovated in to an enclosed stadium you know instead of the jigsaw puzzle it is now i got a response saying that financially it wouldnt happen and that they havent thought of the idea but then i asked if they ever put it to auckland city council or any other heirarchy they said they havent so there could be a inkling of a possibility something like that could happen with the right steps being taken i would like it to happen such as promoting the game making it home of the warriors and the kiwis and trying to cause a fan fair so that mt smart becomes synonymous with league as to the all blacks and eden park and sevens with the cake tin maybe if people could get on that type of bandwagon maybe we could persuade the people in higher places to do such a thing if we can spen a shitload on artsy stuff in our area surely we can give mt smart a facelift doesnt have to be an enclosed stadium could be just the removal of the athletics track small stands closer in to the ground on the north and southern ends things we can progressivley work on itl make the ground look almost world class like and also with the supertop gone that could possibly be used a place to purchase merchandise refreshments and entertainment such as the vodafone promotion stuff and all that wed have a pretty mean venue on our hands